Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Manning Found Not Guilty Of 'Aiding The Enemy

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,626 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

NPR said:

Bradley Manning, the former intelligence analyst who perpetrated the largest leak of classified information in U.S. history, has been acquitted of the most serious charge against him.

Col. Denise Lind, the military judge presiding over the case in Fort Meade, Md., found the Army private not guilty of aiding the enemy, when he released hundreds of thousands of classified documents to WikiLeaks. The charge carried a possible punishment of life in prison.

Manning, however, was found guilty of other serious offenses including five charges of espionage and five charges of theft.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

They will still lock him up and throw the key away.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,975 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm glad he will not spend the rest of his life in prison.  I'm also glad that a strong message was sent to the rest of his comrades in arms...

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm sure an "accident" is coming his way eventually.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#5    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

He was foun not guilty of the 2 charges but was still foud guilty if espionage.

He will spend most of his life in prison.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#6    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 30 July 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

:unsure2:

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,390 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, I don't know much at all about law, much less military law, but I suppose the intent of the judges ruling was to the effect that he did not directly give the info to the "enemy", like say to a foreign enemy spy. Instead it was indirect, through Wikileaks.

So I guess that might make sense, though surely he should have known that the info who inevitably fall into the wrong hands.

But I also agree with other's here that said he is still in a whole lot of trouble, and the military judge apparently agree's that some of his actions were clearly illegal. I also agree that some prison time is likely in his future.

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,390 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 30 July 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Perhaps not.

In day's gone by, yes, without question he would have been "snuffed"
But these day's, at least in the U.S., such people are highly protected from that type of event.

#9    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,118 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

it is a fine line as to what makes a "traitor". You could say that, if one revealed evidence of atrocities and crimes committed by one's government or its army, then one is not a traitor but is actually doing a service toy our country by making these known. However, what these Whistleblowers, like him and the other one, seem to do is just publicise everything that you find, regardless of whether it is actually evidence of wrongs being committed. By doing that, you could well be putting one's fellow soldiers (who may have had nothing to do with the wrongs being done) and one's fellow citizens at risk.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#10    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

View Postpallidin, on 30 July 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Perhaps not.

In day's gone by, yes, without question he would have been "snuffed"
But these day's, at least in the U.S., such people are highly protected from that type of event.

If he is put in the general population at Fort Leavenworth Military Penitenary, he's in for a rough road... The prisoners there consider 'treason' (to whatever degree)
in much the same light that civilian prisoners consider child molestors...
If he is put in a military prison, that should be his biggest worry... Guards can only watch you part of the time...

Edited by Taun, 30 July 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,626 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostTaun, on 30 July 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

If he is put in the general population at Fort Leavenworth Military Penitenary, he's in for a rough road... The prisoners there consider 'treason' (to whatever degree)
in much the same light that civilian prisoners consider child molestors...
If he is put in a military prison, that should be his biggest worry... Guards can only watch you part of the time...

He'll spend most of the time in solitary.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

I don't think Manning did anything wrong. Exposing government crimes should never be considered treason.

The 25-year-old Crescent, Okla., native acknowledged giving the anti-secrecy website hundreds of thousands of battlefield reports, diplomatic cables and videos in early 2010.
Manning said he didn't believe the information would harm troops in Afghanistan and Iraq or threaten national security.
Manning's court-martial was unusual because he acknowledged giving the anti-secrecy website more than 700,000 battlefield reports and diplomatic cables, and video of a 2007 U.S. helicopter attack that killed civilians in Iraq, including a Reuters news photographer and his driver. In the footage, airmen laughed and called targets "dead b*******."
Manning pleaded guilty earlier this year to lesser offenses that could have brought him 20 years behind bars, yet the government continued to pursue the original, more serious charges.
Manning said during a pre-trial hearing in February he leaked the material to expose the U.S military's "bloodlust" and disregard for human life, and what he considered American diplomatic deceit. He said he chose information he believed would not the harm the United States and he wanted to start a debate on military and foreign policy. He did not testify at his court-martial.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2aYkv3D5Z

Edited by Kowalski, 30 July 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#13    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,118 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Manning said he didn't believe the information would harm troops in Afghanistan and Iraq or threaten national security

and he didn't think that giving the enemy - i mean the anti-secrecy website more than 700,000 battlefield reports and diplomatic cables might possibly do that in any way? How incredibly naive is he?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#14    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

View Postand then, on 30 July 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

I'm glad he will not spend the rest of his life in prison.  I'm also glad that a strong message was sent to the rest of his comrades in arms...

He was found guilty on 20 other charges,he will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#15    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,266 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Im glad he wont spend his life in prison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users