Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

the very first sell of brookland brigde scam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

The first scam to involve long island.  The dutch wanted to buy the island to ut a settlement on it.  So they stopped the first indians they saw and agreed on a price of a couple blankets and some jewlrey.  They only problem is the indians didn't own the island.  They were there hunting.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

Native Americans didn't believe that you could "own" land.  That was a European ideal.  Coming from a culture where land is a commodity to be bought and sold, they naturally assumed that the locals owned the land.

And it's Brooklyn bridge, not Brookland;  Also, the bridge spans the East River from Manhattan to (oddly enough) Brooklyn, not Long Island.

Edited by JMPD1, 01 August 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#3    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

It doesn't have to go brooklyn, to be a brooklyn bridge scam.  All you have to do is sell something that doesn't belong to you.

As for owning property, indians did in fact believe in owning property.  Other than your bow, if you can put into your hut/teepee that was your personal property, everything else was public property.  This worked great until the started using horses.  Each tribe had its territory so they could find the resources they needed to live.  So there was tribal property.  The Indians who sold long islnd were tresspasing.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users