Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Body language in cats

cats signals body language

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,546 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Animal behaviour experts have worked with Cats Protection to produce a guide to help pet owners know what their cats want.

It helps explain often contradictory behaviour by these precious animals – like why they often scratch and bite when they appear to want their stomachs rubbed.

The guide also includes advice about how to respond to these signals and common misinterpretations made by cat owners.

http://www.telegraph...-its-tummy.html

Posted Image

#2    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

The ignorance of these surveyed pet owners is astoundingm if it's to be believed. I think this particular misinterpreted expression is the most perplexing;

"“When a cat throws itself on its side and shows its belly, most people misinterpret this behaviour and think that it wants its belly rubbed but will get grabbed by their hand and the cat will bite them.
“What the cat is actually doing is showing a greeting behaviour and showing trust."

Right, it's typical submissive behaviour. You don't have to be an ethologist to understand this.

And how many times have these cat owners done this and not comprehended cause and effect? Their hands must be shredded by now. lol

#3    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,207 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

A lot of people misinterpet kneading as an attack.  Instead of the cat saying please keep doing that it feels good. Dude had very straight forward way of telling me he wanted petted.  He would wrape is front legs around my arm and pull it to him, mind you he did not use his claws to do this.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#4    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

There's another current thread in UM about a dog which knows 1,000 words. Well, our cat knows at least three English words: "I---am---hungry." She has also begun to express herself with three more: "Clean---my---box."

It's all 'meow' to me. . .. . .

Edited by szentgyorgy, 01 August 2013 - 07:20 AM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

Also tagged with cats, signals, body language

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users