Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

98% of drivers don't know their dashboard

dashboard symbols drivers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,925 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Britain’s motorists are becoming a nation of ‘dashboard dunces’ baffled by the increasing array of warning lights in their cars, new research has revealed.

More than nine in ten people failed to recognise one particular warning.

The study identified 99 separate dashboard light warnings in 15 of the UK’s most popular cars ranging from the humble Nissan hatchback to Mercedes-Benz executive saloons.

http://www.dailymail...ard-lights.html

Posted Image

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

99 drivers and 98%?? how does that work,

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,206 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

well im not surprised most people dont know them, how many can change a tyre? not many is the answer, anyway you have a car manual to tell you what all these warning lights are. how many times have you been behind someone whose left their indicator on. they can go for miles without noticing the flashing light on the dash or the audible sound of tick tick..............

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,548 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 31 July 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

99 drivers and 98%?? how does that work,

It must mean that no one knows their dashboard.  In the usa that would be a good number, seeing as none of them can read the speedometer.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#5    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,548 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 31 July 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

well im not surprised most people dont know them, how many can change a tyre? not many is the answer, anyway you have a car manual to tell you what all these warning lights are. how many times have you been behind someone whose left their indicator on. they can go for miles without noticing the flashing light on the dash or the audible sound of tick tick..............

The ones I like are those who just have to be in front of you to make a turn no matter how close that turn is.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#6    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

I couldn't name all the ones on that page and I do vehicle diagnostics and ECU reprogramming as paid work now.

Some are ludicrous and mean very little.  More than 50% of cars I see with the engine light on just need the fault reset, a bit like rebooting a computer.  Garages are pretty terrible and expensive at diagnosing these faults as well.

I had one the other day which was a flashing oil light.  The car had not long been serviced and the owner panicked and had the car low loaded to me as they feared a major component failure.  It turned out to be a timed oil degrading warning light.  Basically the garage who serviced it didn't know it had to be reset.  

The owner did the right thing not knowing, I was always told if the oil light comes on turn the engine off immediately. Now it seems the manufacturers are changing the goal posts.

Posted Image

#7    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

I'd only know the more common ones like oil, battery etc.  That's why I carry my car handbook in the pocket behind my seat.

#8    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,256 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

You pass your test in a built up area with a 30/40 m.p.h. speed limit,and the next day you are on your own ("in control, HA HA), of a ton or more  of lethal machinery,do you creep around the built up area ?,hell no you head for the nearest Motorway to see how fast you can go.Do you watch your speedometer ? rev counter ? I guess not ,you are to busy trying to overtake the big Merc, in your clapped out banger.I must be too old and cynical but I do know my dashboard,and all the 30 different lights and signs which pop up in the facia.some people dont even know how to change radio channels.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#9    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Worst with all this over done electrics is people now rely on them rather than carry out basic maintenance inspections.

BMW are one of the worse which rely solely on service lights and computer readings to determine what needs inspecting.  I am thankful I am old school and can feel changes in the car and it's performance and carry out basic safety checks.

Posted Image

#10    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,256 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

View Postskookum, on 02 August 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Worst with all this over done electrics is people now rely on them rather than carry out basic maintenance inspections.

BMW are one of the worse which rely solely on service lights and computer readings to determine what needs inspecting.  I am thankful I am old school and can feel changes in the car and it's performance and carry out basic safety checks.
  The big problem these days is the "Chip", I used to do my own decokes,battery changes oil changes etc,years ago,but now you daren't lift the bonnet in case you disturb a Chip.But Chips can also go wrong, and repairs are very expensive.I guess its called "progress".

#11    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,548 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 01 August 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

You pass your test in a built up area with a 30/40 m.p.h. speed limit,and the next day you are on your own ("in control, HA HA), of a ton or more  of lethal machinery,do you creep around the built up area ?,hell no you head for the nearest Motorway to see how fast you can go.Do you watch your speedometer ? rev counter ? I guess not ,you are to busy trying to overtake the big Merc, in your clapped out banger.I must be too old and cynical but I do know my dashboard,and all the 30 different lights and signs which pop up in the facia.some people dont even know how to change radio channels.

I saw a guy n the freeway once. He was pushing his little hondea to hard.  The car looked like it was over stressed.

#12    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,256 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

View Postdanielost, on 02 August 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

I saw a guy n the freeway once. He was pushing his little hondea to hard.  The car looked like it was over stressed.
  Well you cant expect any more if you buy Jap Crap.

#13    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,548 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 02 August 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Well you cant expect any more if you buy Jap Crap.

Can't blame the car on this, tge gent was huge and doing eighty.

#14    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,516 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm not super shocked by this. Some cars are loaded up with all sorts of stuff. For example, my in-laws decided it was time for a new car, and they always have loaded cars. So they gave us their Audi- that thing has all sorts of crap on it. Some of it completely unnecessary IMO. Like do I need a special function that tells me I've been driving for 2 hours? Or a control panel just for seat adjustment?

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,548 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think the control panel for seat adjustment is a good idea. Everyone needs to have the seat adjusted for them.

Also tagged with dashboard, symbols, drivers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users