Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How the ouija board really moves

ouija board ideomotor effect magic

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,798 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

To many, Ouija boards are a sign of dark magic, a way to allow people to receive messages from the spirit world by being guided around the board's letters.

However, the Victorian parlor game, and other 'spiritual' devices such as dowsing wands, are guided by the people holding them, scientists have found.

Under a phenomenon known as the ideomotor effect, muscles and movements can move without a person being aware of the action, leading many to believe they have witnessed some form of magic, according to BBC Future.

http://www.dailymail...-rods-move.html

Posted Image

#2    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,036 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

This has been known for a very long time ( and posted ) . But, maybe with this post, people will now listen.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#3    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:04 AM

doubt it, people are gullible and rather be ignorant. Just like people using ghost radar.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#4    sam_comm

sam_comm

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

In my opinion, it is a combination of both. While people can subsconsciously move the arrow towards letters an numbers and create words and sentence of their own, I think that it can serve as a tool, as a mean to communicate with spirits and entity. Just like EVP sessions, it does happens that the EVP is nothing but pareidolia. But in some cases, it is crystal clear and even related to what you were doing or perhaps calling your name.

Also it is relevant to point out that these studies never considered various documented cases of alleged hauntings after Ouija sessions. So it would seem that in some cases, the game doesn't stop even if the board is back in the closet.

There is many ways to try to communicate with spirits and entities. Ouija has nothing more special than other means despite his reputation. You can try for a long time and never get anything out of it. No doubt the mental strain and excitation caused by the (excessive) use of it may reach the counciousness at a deep level. Repeated use can become an obesession and lead to depression and psychosis. That doesn't mean that if you open up yourself to it, you cannot be vulnarable and opening a door in your life to the unknown.

Edited by sam_comm, 01 August 2013 - 03:57 AM.

#5    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

the 'facilitated communication' messages were actually coming from them
Doesn't mean that we should remove the possibility that the ghost actually control the host's body.

#6    born2run

born2run

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

• "I am afeared there are few die well that die in battle".
    King Henry V,Act IV. Scene i.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

My apologies for not having been around as much as I might like but things happen. Enough said on  that. As for "the Board", I do hate to sound like I am repeating myself,  which I am, but it IS NOT A TOY, yeah, "heard that before, used it, nothing exciting happened" Well maybe not "this time" but I frankly dont like the odds because  if things go "wrong", one wil have more issues than"they can shake a stick at". OH, some folks can use it, use it correctly and safely, more power to them. I just don't think it's a "learn as you go" and way too many fold don't read the literature about it before just seeing what one can do with it. "play with it if you must but be careful because it can and will "bite you" if you don't know what you are doing. Here ends the sermon for today.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. :no:

#7    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,036 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Postborn2run, on 10 August 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

My apologies for not having been around as much as I might like but things happen. Enough said on  that. As for "the Board", I do hate to sound like I am repeating myself,  which I am, but it IS NOT A TOY, yeah, "heard that before, used it, nothing exciting happened" Well maybe not "this time" but I frankly dont like the odds because  if things go "wrong", one wil have more issues than"they can shake a stick at". OH, some folks can use it, use it correctly and safely, more power to them. I just don't think it's a "learn as you go" and way too many fold don't read the literature about it before just seeing what one can do with it. "play with it if you must but be careful because it can and will "bite you" if you don't know what you are doing. Here ends the sermon for today.

Bigger and more colorful text does not make it true.......

It is just a Toy.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#8    Kipperphoenix

Kipperphoenix

Expert Procrastinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

• I make blog entries with stupid jokes and post them to the internet.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

It's a toy. They sell it at children's toy stores. If it can really conjure demons, they wouldn't market it towards kids and families.

Edited by Kipperphoenix, 10 August 2013 - 05:59 PM.

Check out my paranormal news blog on Tumblr! TheParanormalBlog.Tumblr.com

#9    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

OMG, do you know how many ouija boards are sold world wide each DAY? I doubt it is just a 'few'. I reckon over the last 10 yrs MILLIONS were sold, and that is probably just in the united states alone. II have not heard of MILLIONS of demons being summoned..

If it was all that dangerous, then after millions of 'testers' it would be on the news by now and banned.

Posted Image

#10    sam_comm

sam_comm

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 10 August 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

OMG, do you know how many ouija boards are sold world wide each DAY? I doubt it is just a 'few'. I reckon over the last 10 yrs MILLIONS were sold, and that is probably just in the united states alone. II have not heard of MILLIONS of demons being summoned..

If it was all that dangerous, then after millions of 'testers' it would be on the news by now and banned.

A Ouija board is nothing more than a piece of wood with painted letters and number on it, we all know that. You don't even need to buy one, you can fabricate one yourself with a solid piece of cardboard or wood if you prefer and use a penny as an Arrow. The Parker Brothers and now Hasbro sell this as a game because well that's what it is isn't it? You try to summon spirit to interact and communicate with them through the board. This 'game' is still on the market because no one has been able to prove (just like the paranormal in general which is elusive) that there is more to it than a spooky teenage game. In their selling pitch they don't even mention that it is mainly used to communicate with spirits but it is rather said ''to ask a question to the Mystifying oracle''. That's for the parents to juge in the end.

My understaning is that it can serve as a tool, as a mean among many others to communicate with the unknown. You can try long enough and never get any significant results but in some cases, people with more or less jugements have opened up themselves and unvoluntarily draw something negative on them. The game didn't stop even if it was safely back in the closet. I personally have an open mind about this kind of paranormall phenomenon and I believe that such a thing can occur though rarely.

The bad reputation of Ouija has probably been blown out of proportion, the appearance of it in the movie ''The Excorsime'' might have contributed to that as well. But stories of paranormal activity doesn't come solely from Ouija session but for many other way: Pendulums use, excessive use of EVP sessions, other esoteric ritual ect.

Edited by sam_comm, 10 August 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#11    Spiritguided

Spiritguided

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Everyone has a right to their opinion.  From personal experience, they work.  It shouldn't be played around with.  I'm not going to try to convince anyone one way or the other.

#12    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,278 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

It's a stupid toy and anyone who things otherwise has some serious mental deficiencies.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#13    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,531 posts

• Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is real or even remotely true.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 August 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

..... anyone who thinks otherwise has some serious mental deficiencies.

Well now, that really inspires conversation now, doesn't it?
Anyway, I do think that our minds are great at fulfilling our wishes and will alter itself to give whatever perceptions is wanted even when it is all fake.

Hallucinations, placebo effects, dowsing...all of it is simply results of what we strongly desire to happen or based on certain strong thoughts.

The Ouija is a silly board designed to cater to our collective gullibility.

#14    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,278 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostRyu, on 13 August 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Well now, that really inspires conversation now, doesn't it?

Wasn't trying to.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#15    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,551 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostKipperphoenix, on 10 August 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

It's a toy. They sell it at children's toy stores. If it can really conjure demons, they wouldn't market it towards kids and families.

Sure they do.
;)

Posted Image

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users