Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How the ouija board really moves

ouija board ideomotor effect magic

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 August 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

It's a stupid toy and anyone who things otherwise has some serious mental deficiencies.

I see loads of convincing arguments in that post. Bravo. :)

Anyway, The concept of ''Ouija'' board or ''spirit'' board to avoid the trademark to communicate with the after life wasn't first conceived as a toy. Actually traces of this can be found in China 1100 AD as fuji. Also, in 500 B.C the Ancient Greece in the days of Pythagoras does a mention of sceance around a wooden board is made. The use of a wooden board to communicate with spirits is thus very old and comes from deep rooten beliefs of the after life. Only far later in the ''reinvention'' of this concept as we know it today with the letters, numbers, YES and NO did the commercial introduction of Ouija board was made July first 1890 by Elijah bond in the hype of the spiritisme mode.

<<Snip>>

Edited by kmt_sesh, 14 August 2013 - 02:03 AM.
Avoid nflammatory remarks.

#17    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 13 August 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

Anyway, The concept of ''Ouija'' board or ''spirit'' board to avoid the trademark wasn't first conceived as a toy. Actually traces of this can be found in China 1100 AD as fuji. The use of a wooden board to communicate with spirits is thus very old and comes from deep rooten beliefs of the after life. Only far later in the ''reinvention'' of this concept did the commercial introduction of Ouija board was made July first 1890 by Elijah bond in the hype of the spiritisme mode.

* snip *

* snip *

Edited by Saru, 14 August 2013 - 08:54 AM.
Removed vulgar insult

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#18    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

Edited by Sakari, 14 August 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#19    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,086 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

View Postsam_comm, on 13 August 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

Anyway, The concept of ''Ouija'' board or ''spirit'' board to avoid the trademark to communicate with the after life wasn't first conceived as a toy. Actually traces of this can be found in China 1100 AD as fuji. Also, in 500 B.C the Ancient Greece in the days of Pythagoras does a mention of sceance around a wooden board is made. The use of a wooden board to communicate with spirits is thus very old and comes from deep rooten beliefs of the after life. Only far later in the ''reinvention'' of this concept as we know it today with the letters, numbers, YES and NO did the commercial introduction of Ouija board was made July first 1890 by Elijah bond in the hype of the spiritisme mode.

<<Snip>>

Questions and statements:
1. Do you believe it works?
2. Did you know about "ideomotor effect"?
3. How come all the readings have never summoned a demon, never present a ghost for the world to see except in stories?
4. Putting the "ideomotor effect" a side, the major issues skeptics have with the whole concept of the oujia board is it's beyond easy to tamper while using it by intentionally moving the cup around and blame the spirits.The only true way to tell is to make the people that are moving blind folded and some one watching with the board moved at a different angle (with out them knowing).
5. just because it is old traditions doesn't make it valid, Remember, back in the c. AD 250-900 it was very popular to do human sacrifice to their gods and yet you don't see many cultures doing that THESE days.
6. Go to number 7
7. Go to number 6

Edited by kmt_sesh, 14 August 2013 - 02:04 AM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#20    Fat Cat

Fat Cat

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

6. Go to number 7
7. Go to number 6

Hehe!

#21    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,494 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:38 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 August 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

I understand your sentiments, really, I do. I just fail to see how name-calling and crass (and vulgar) remarks really helps to convey your point.

#22    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,297 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

Posters, avoid personal ridicule and inflammatory remarks. They serve no useful purpose. Failure to abide by the Rules will result in the closing of this thread and possible account suspensions.

kmt_sesh

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#23    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostRyu, on 14 August 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

I understand your sentiments, really, I do. I just fail to see how name-calling and crass (and vulgar) remarks really helps to convey your point.

It doesn't. I also don't care that it doesn't.
It's just stupid that such absolutely ridiculous claims are treated as absolute fact on this site such as the oft repeated "Don't mess with ouija boards. Stuff happens if you do that I, nor anyone else can ever and have never been able to prove" or the "Doesn't work if you don't believe" crap.
Also, I just did't like the posters passive aggressive response, so I responded aggressively. Why hid my disdain for them? I will refrain from expressing my dislike any further so as to not be suspended.

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

#24    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,494 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 14 August 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

It doesn't. I also don't care that it doesn't.
It's just stupid that such absolutely ridiculous claims are treated as absolute fact on this site such as the oft repeated "Don't mess with ouija boards. Stuff happens if you do that I, nor anyone else can ever and have never been able to prove" or the "Doesn't work if you don't believe" crap.
Also, I just did't like the posters passive aggressive response, so I responded aggressively. Why hid my disdain for them? I will refrain from expressing my dislike any further so as to not be suspended.

I have a disdain for nonsense too but it's just that it seemed like what you did seemed to go far beyond what was posted by others.
I guess I just don't see where anyone was vulgar to you to begin with.

To be very honest I would be afraid to have any sort of conversation with you on anything because if I was unfortunate enough to say something you disagreed with, I would fear being treated with vulgar comments and name-calling.

#25    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostRyu, on 14 August 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

I have a disdain for nonsense too but it's just that it seemed like what you did seemed to go far beyond what was posted by others.
I guess I just don't see where anyone was vulgar to you to begin with.

To be very honest I would be afraid to have any sort of conversation with you on anything because if I was unfortunate enough to say something you disagreed with, I would fear being treated with vulgar comments and name-calling.

Then maybe you need a bit thicker skin.

#26    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hi, Brian Topp I'll attempt to respond to some questions of your survey based on my personal opinion. For the missing questions, I think I've already treated the subject above.

View PostBrian Topp, on 14 August 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

2. Did you know about "ideomotor effect"?

I do. I've heard of it some time before this thread was made actually. While I think it can explain many cases, just like pareidolia can explain many words heard form EVPs, I feel that as a mean to attempt communication with spirits, it can in some cases just do that. For I am open minded about this subject and I think that spirits and entities may seek to communicate and you may be able to do so through various means. May it be Ouija board, pendulum, EVP session, spirit box ect. So a combination of both explanation seems to be much more satisfying to me with regard to many credible story I've heard concerning spirit boards and other which were simply nonsense.

3. How come all the readings have never summoned a demon, never present a ghost for the world to see except in stories?

As far as I know, Demons are not ghosts. While I think it may be possible that if a person whith more or less jugement open up him/herself too much just like someone who by excessive use of EVP sessions can open a breach in his/her life to the unkown, then I think a malevolent entity (Demon, Dybbuk, Djinn how do you call it?) can perhaps manage to get hold of this person. But, to be clear, I am not among those who will say ''never play with a Ouija board!!, it's a demon summoner!'' for I think that this kind view is extreme and that the reputation of Ouija has been blown out of proportion. Play with it if you want and have fun.

4. Putting the "ideomotor effect" a side, the major issues skeptics have with the whole concept of the oujia board is it's beyond easy to tamper while using it by intentionally moving the cup around and blame the spirits.The only true way to tell is to make the people that are moving blind folded and some one watching with the board moved at a different angle (with out them knowing).

I agree, in fact this is true for you may have heard that at times Ouija sessions give incoherent results. One ask the question:'' what is your name'' and it spells for instance: ''FRTGHRTY'' clearly that hs a case of unintantionally moving the Arrow in the excitation and spelling nonsense.

5. just because it is old traditions doesn't make it valid, Remember, back in the c. AD 250-900 it was very popular to do human sacrifice to their gods and yet you don't see many cultures doing that THESE days.
That wasn't my point Brian Topp. I was refering to the fact that using a wooden board to communicate with spirit is a very old concept and thus the beliefs of the after life is deep rooten. It has not always been manifactured as a toy Under the brand name Ouija. The concept reaches far earlier than that. Whether you believe in the communication with spirits and entities is up to you. :)

Edited by sam_comm, 14 August 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#27    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,494 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 14 August 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

Then maybe you need a bit thicker skin.

If verbal abuse is the only way for you to convey your ideas then there is nothing you and I can civilly discuss. Thanks for your replies and thanks for not abusing me..yet.

Edited by Ryu, 14 August 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#28    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostRyu, on 14 August 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Forget it...I was going to say something but it just doesn't matter....
I saw your original post. Didn't realize that you were the internet police. Won't happen again, officer.

#29    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,297 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Please stay on topic. Use the PM feature to have a personal discussion, but refrain from doing it in the thread.

Thanks.

kmt_sesh

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#30    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

I was at Toys R Us the other day in the game section looking for Cards Against Humanity and I saw 2 different Ouija boards.  Go evil magjic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users