Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

why did you choose your avatar?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1    shephardess

shephardess

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I collect and restore dolls, I chose this picture of a Chinese Barbie doll because she is one of my favorites and because she looks calm and collected, attributes I wish to cultivate in myself.

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,024 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

A colleague of mine said that when he saw a picture of a three toed foot he would have seen everything, so I photoshopped him one. Been using it as my avatar ever since.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I chose mine because I am a huge fan of the rock group Rush.  2112 is my favorite album of all time.  I like the symbolism of this picture as it relates to the story of 2112.  The "Red Star" represents the Temple...the priests...aka...the establishment.  The "starman" is pressing against and trying to hold it back....I like that symbolism of resisting the establishment.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

I change my avatar quite often but I've stuck with this little fellow for a while just because he makes me smile :D

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,196 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

I chose mine because it's from Doctor Who and it expresses perfectly my first reaction to 90% of what I read here.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Many folk seem to think that my avatar is the symbol of Re(Ra) in the Egyptian pantheon of gods, but it is actually the symbol of the god Thoth, the god of the Moon, magic, writing, and knowledge.  One of my patron deities.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,191 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

I change my Avs often and they usually have some allusion to water since I live near the coast and love the water.  But the current one reflects my absolute love of dogs and especially Beagles :)  I actually had been considering changing it to a pic of my puppy Fred but had decided not to because his face was almost identical to Yam's dog AV.  Only Fred was all Black.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,510 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

POPULAR

Because I'm such an angel. :innocent:

#9    ImmortalSupernaturalAlien

ImmortalSupernaturalAlien

Xenomorph Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

• Aliens. Aliens everywhere.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Because I like pictures of beautiful scenery. And I know this one is fake, but I still like the colors.

#10    Ruby04

Ruby04

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

• "You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - Christopher Columbus.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Mine is always of one of our pets. This time it's Aussie one of dads Water Dragons

In life you have to go after what you want, not sit around and wait for things to come to you.

#11    Dougward5

Dougward5

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 237 posts

• " silver bullets ain't cheap"

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

Because that guy in my avatar pic is awesome ....

#12    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,729 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:22 AM

First one, and one I had the longest was our Wolf Sakari...

Second one, was Myself and Sakari.....

Third was the second longest....Myself and My ex Motorcycle.

Current one......I had a recent scare, and battle with a malignent Melanoma. Had Cancer surgery, and I am fine now. Changed my life....This Avatar will stay for a very long time.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#13    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,207 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:39 AM

I used to us a GIF of Zarkor and Zerak, my space alien friends, but now It's Big Brother from a "1984" movie. I just think it's appropriate right now, and maybe for the foreseeable future. I'm not a pessimist, though I think we should remain aware of the world we now live in, and its possibilities for good or for not-so-good.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#14    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,160 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

I'm a sci-fi fan, and my favourite movies was Star Wars. Thus a favourite quote of mine is "come too the dark side of the Force".  I just find a child-like juxtaposition of this in the sense going to the Dark Side so I can get cookies.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#15    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,627 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

It fitted the required dimensions... ha!

Mostly because Conrad Veidt is awesome. Conrad Veidt photoshopped as a villain one of his roles inspired: priceless.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users