Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A piece of Jesus' cross? Relics unearthed in

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 4,525 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Turkish archaeologists say they have found a stone chest in a 1,350-year-old church that appears to contain a relic venerated as a piece of Jesus' cross.

http://www.nbcnews.c...rkey-6C10812170

#2    Echosignal

Echosignal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

More tourists = more money :yes:

#3    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 9,297 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 01 August 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Turkish archaeologists say they have found a stone chest in a 1,350-year-old church that appears to contain a relic venerated as a piece of Jesus' cross.

...and if you believe this, I have a bridge not far from my house I can sell you, dirt cheap.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#4    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

It's all based on the "story" that Constantine's mother, Helena, actually found "the real cross" that Jesus was crucified on.  I have never believed that story.  First off, her pilgrimage was 300 or so years after the fact.  Second, you have to remember that at the time of the crucifixion, Jesus was just another person to be executed to the Romans...they would not have done anything special with the cross to preserve it.  They probably crucified many more on the same cross...or maybe just burned it.

Helena was trying to fortify the new religion of the empire.  Sensationalism works.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 01 August 2013 - 09:17 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#5    Ugly1

Ugly1

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Looked like a piece of stone to me.

#6    MyInnerShadow

MyInnerShadow

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• This too shall pass.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

If they put together all the bits of wood that have been claimed as part of the True Cross, they'd have enough wood to build a life-size model of Manhattan and all its skyscrapers.  The church building itself may be interesting, but I'm very sceptical regarding relics.

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,352 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

That little stone is supposed to be the Chest? Maybe some kind of relicquary? The video said it could have the bone of a saint, or a piece of the True Cross.... So apparently they don't actually know if there is anything in the stone at all. Even if there was something in it. Bits of wood had been collected and saved as pieces of the Holy Cross for centuries before this church was built. Nothing amazing here, I am afraid....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,635 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostJeremiah65, on 01 August 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Helena was trying to fortify the new religion of the empire.  Sensationalism works.

Works on TV news ratings as well.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

I thoroughly believe and have evidence that it was Brians cross.................and his wife !

#10    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

I wish I had all the pieces of Jesus cross that have been claimed over the years.
In that case, I could open a lumber yard.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#11    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostUgly1, on 01 August 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Looked like a piece of stone to me.
exactly How are they so sure that this is THE cross that he was crucified on, I mean that seems like a huge assumption they jumped to

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#12    dibatag

dibatag

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

• Do not belive everything you are told is true

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

I think the cross J.C was crucified on would have been used before and after him many many times, remember these so called relics were a nice little money earner for the church

#13    Truthseeker007

Truthseeker007

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 01 August 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Which Jesus?

Spiral Symbolism:
Evolution and holistic growth:Letting go, surrender, release
Awareness of the one within the context of the whole
Connectivity and union with deific and cosmic energies

"Connectivity to the Divine" observation

#14    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,577 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

I've quoted this before, but I won't hesistate to quote it again, such is my admiration for Twain:

But isn't this relic matter a little overdone? We find a piece of the true cross in every old church we go into, and some of the nails that held it together. I would not like to be positive, but I think we have seen as much as a keg of these nails. Then there is the crown of thorns; they have part of one in Sainte Chapelle, in Paris, and part of one also in Notre Dame. And as for bones of St. Denis, I feel certain we have seen enough of them to duplicate him if necessary.
From "The Innocents Abroad."  Cahpter 17.

If you haven't read this book, what in Hell are you waiting for?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#15    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, with all the pieces of the True Cross around we could build a cathedral and with all the nails we can build at least a car!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users