Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

Almost every man alive can trace his origins to one man who lived about 135,000 years ago, new research suggests. And that ancient man likely shared the planet with the mother of all women.

http://www.livescien...-uncovered.html

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Wow.  I never knew Eve was so good-looking.  (only saying)

#3    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

The Bible Bashers are going to like this one.

#4    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

So the population of Earth is a bunch of inbred motha****as. Sweet! So we're all bruvvaz.

"Almost every man alive can trace his origins to one man who lived about 135,000 years ago, new research suggests."

I'm interested in the exact reason for that "almost". Who's excluded?

#5    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

"Almost" is used because this is all theoretical, and it's physically impossible to prove that everyone is related to this hypothetical person (that would require a DNA test of most men on the planet). This study was only to gauge an estimate of the most recent possible common ancestor.

#6    woopypooky

woopypooky

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Almost as for rhesus positive blood. As for the O- is not.

#7    Hartmut

Hartmut

-

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

• Without artists, the worlds would be - like a world without flowers and butterflies.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Ahem, ...and from where did that one single man come from?
Oh, I got it, from a test tube baby, manufactured by an visiting alien !

#8    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,114 posts

• Oops.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostHartmut, on 03 August 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Ahem, ...and from where did that one single man come from?
Oh, I got it, from a test tube baby, manufactured by an visiting alien !
From his mother and father. It's just that this man would have been the one that most modern people trace their lineage back to, the others died out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,167 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

So there was only 2 people on the planet 135000 yrs ago.Total BS.

#10    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,114 posts

• Oops.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 03 August 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Like it says in the article, all modern men descend from the same common ancestor. That doesn't mean there were only two, just that it was these two ancestors that we can trace ourselves back to. There were other people around then as well, but their genetic lines died out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#11    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

I think we have to stick to what we have. Evidences. Not what might be is some alternative univerese.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#12    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

these are just theories. No one knows for sure. I for one prefer if they would concentrate on solving issues in our present rather than wasting time speculating about the past.

#13    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

When science push water on your mill its science. When not...its BS. I understand.

#14    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,114 posts

• Oops.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postminera, on 03 August 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

these are just theories. No one knows for sure. I for one prefer if they would concentrate on solving issues in our present rather than wasting time speculating about the past.
Actually this not speculation, but results of genetic research. And if we only focused on trying to solve our problems we'd never get anywhere. Many solution to problems come from unexpected sources, while some problems are aimply part of the human condition and cannot be solved, only managed.
  never really understand this point of view. I doubt you want the Eiffel tower torn down and it's metal re-purposed, or the statue of Liberty scrapped and recycled. These studies tell us of our history and origins. By thee nature of it, it tells us something of the human condition.
And is anyone still under the impression that this means there were onlh two people around at the time? That is not actually the implications of this study.

Edited by ShadowSot, 03 August 2013 - 06:42 PM.

-Terry Pratchett

#15    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

'Tis true!  They weren't called Adam & Eve though.  Fred and Wilma Flintstone were their names, according to my sources.  God later created Barney and Betty Rubble from some spare ribs to keep them company.  And the rest is history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users