Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Huge Handprint Found in Nevada Cave

red-headed giants lovelock cave handprint mk davis don monroe

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yep, it's hard to beat a Ka-Bar. You can chop with it, dig with it, fight with it.....and hey, can it slice a hunk off a slab of Spam?

#47    Levergunner

Levergunner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostSakari, on 19 August 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Reading some of this is cracking me up. It is like few guys at a mud bog, with their jacked up trucks, and who has more guns. Or my in laws comparing expensive Watches, and cars, and clothes at a dinner party.

Sounds like some of you go hiking expecting to be like Rambo, and having to start your own little war. Strange if you ask me, you are carrying way more then you need, unless you are also preparing for doomsday.

I call this " compensating for something " ....... No offense, just how I have been reading this lately.

More like having had occasions where you went out way underprepared, and never want to have it happen again. I've been on trips where I wish I over-prepared rather than under-prepared. In my experience you only start loving the big choppers and such when you really need one and don't have one. Another example is when my dad was in Search and Rescue. Sometimes operators have to do pretty darned nasty jobs where they need both high quality knives and crappy expendable ones. An old saying for things when in the bush "Two is one, and one is none." Basically, if you have only one good knife, and loose it, you're pretty screwed. So its always good insurance to have more than one working knife.
Its also just plain fun to have big knives and guns while out in the bush. Heck, last campout I went on I had to use basically a short spear to dispatch a venomous snake where lots of kids were around. So yeah, best be prepared and have fun with it. :)

#48    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,803 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

Aside from ignorant extremes: Taking your small children on a hike with nothing but a half-eaten bag of Skittles, etc
Gear choices are personal, as is your experience, goals, expectations and challenges of your particular trek.
There may be that one-size-fits-all short list of "Should Haves", but beyond that, variations on gear choices abound.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 20 August 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#49    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

I recall once I was out hiking in Georgia near the Chattahoochee River. I came across a couple of hikers who'd sadly had an accident and one of them managed to really mess up his ankle. I was pretty sure it was broken, but nether of these guys had anything for an emergency, hell they didn't even have a can of pork and beans between them. They were very lucky I happened to stumble across them. Had to split up the one guys ankle......and I know this guy was in pain but talk about being the biggest puss in the whole of Northern Georgia? Then I set about making a litter......the other guy was very likely the most mechanically inept male i have ever in my life seen. I showed him how to notch the branches on the litter so they didn't move around so easily and lash them down with paracord, but swear this guy couldn't pour p*** off of a boot with the instructions on the heel. Not to mention he was all upset about his buddy, and granted  that can cloud your abilities to act, but damn!

Anyway, long story short......well shorter than I usually tell it,  We got the guy out and off to the hospital and I was explaining what I'd seen to one of the county deputies, he explained to me that it didn't surprise him at all and he went of a tirade about situations he'd been involved with and the general state of unpreparedness. Unfortunately, there's been a recent turn in the thinking in recent years. National Forrest don't allow you to carry a firearm because it makes the unarmed tourist feel ill-at-ease, or words to that effect.

Edited by keninsc, 20 August 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#50    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Ok, correction note!

I splinted up his ankle........I didn't "split it up"......although, had I wanted or needed to I would have had the correct knife for the job.

What?

#51    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,709 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 20 August 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Ok, correction note!

I splinted up his ankle........I didn't "split it up"......although, had I wanted or needed to I would have had the correct knife for the job.

What?
HA! I was just about to call you on that.....

View Postkeninsc, on 20 August 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

I recall once I was out hiking in Georgia near the Chattahoochee River. I came across a couple of hikers who'd sadly had an accident and one of them managed to really mess up his ankle. I was pretty sure it was broken, but nether of these guys had anything for an emergency, hell they didn't even have a can of pork and beans between them. They were very lucky I happened to stumble across them. Had to split up the one guys ankle......and I know this guy was in pain but talk about being the biggest puss in the whole of Northern Georgia? Then I set about making a litter......the other guy was very likely the most mechanically inept male i have ever in my life seen. I showed him how to notch the branches on the litter so they didn't move around so easily and lash them down with paracord, but swear this guy couldn't pour p*** off of a boot with the instructions on the heel. Not to mention he was all upset about his buddy, and granted  that can cloud your abilities to act, but damn!

Anyway, long story short......well shorter than I usually tell it,  We got the guy out and off to the hospital and I was explaining what I'd seen to one of the county deputies, he explained to me that it didn't surprise him at all and he went of a tirade about situations he'd been involved with and the general state of unpreparedness. Unfortunately, there's been a recent turn in the thinking in recent years. National Forrest don't allow you to carry a firearm because it makes the unarmed tourist feel ill-at-ease, or words to that effect.
Sounds like you saved two guys that would later marry each other. :tu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#52    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, I really need to learn to proof my emails better before I post,. but for some reason I don't. I do manage to proofread my stuff when I write pretty well however I'm usually in too big a hurry to post. I knew someone would call me on it, it is a rather glaring boo-boo.

Yeah, I was a little surprised at the reaction by the one that wasn't hurt as well.........but if he was one of the lavender hill gang he didn't offer me any favors for having saved his.........whatever he was.

Talk about being ungrateful?

:blush:

#53    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Levergunner:

We have another old say, "If a little is good then more is better and too much is just right."

#54    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:16 AM

If they hadn't said so boldly in the article title and throughout that the picture was of a handprint I don't think I would have thought "handprint" when I saw that photo.  When a person wants to believe a thing is true, that person will bend his/her perceptions of the "evidence" to suit his/her already cemented beliefs.  Lots of things can look like a giant handprint if thats what you are looking for.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#55    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

The power of suggestion is very influencing.  My guess would be many can't get past that initial suggestion. Personally, I couldn't see a hand print at all.

#56    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,100 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

How is that a handprint?? Looks like scorch marks or something.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#57    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

Ain't nuthin but a neolithic rorshach test.  I love it when these "researchers"  fill the gap in their common sense with gullibility and confirmation bias.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#58    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

(opens mouth to say something)

(sees that people have already said it and are now talking about knives)

(slowly closes mouth)

Ha, but in all seriousness...

Large black scorch marks that vaguely resemble a hand print ------> Must belong to cannibal giants who lived in the tiny cave

Doesn't sound like the most logical line of thought.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#59    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Logic has nothing to do with belief.

#60    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,803 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostFstop, on 27 August 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Ain't nuthin but a neolithic rorshach test.  I love it when these "researchers"  fill the gap in their common sense with gullibility and confirmation bias.

"neolithic rorshach test" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users