Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UK anti-Bush letters spark outrage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:05 PM

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A pro-Kerry letter-writing campaign by Britain's left-leaning Guardian newspaper, targeting undecided U.S. voters, has provoked outrage across the Atlantic.

The paper has encouraged its readers to express their opinions on the November 2 presidential election to voters in the key swing state of Ohio -- to the fury of Clark county.

"Hey England, Scotland and Wales, mind your own business. We don't need weenie-spined Limeys meddling in our presidential election," was one of the e-mail reactions to the campaign.

The Fox national cable television network tore into the newspaper and even John Kerry's own Democrats expressed horror at the campaign.

"We all feel it is not a good idea. I think it was unwise. It is so poorly thought-out," said Sharon Manitta, spokeswoman in Britain for Democrats Abroad.

But the newspaper, whose cartoons regularly portray President George W. Bush as a semi-literate ape, was unrepentant.

"We did consult a number of opinions and made our decision accordingly," assistant features editor Paul MacInnes told Reuters. "It has been an operation to give our readers an opportunity to express their opinions."

With just two weeks to go before the election, Kerry is running neck and neck with Republican incumbent Bush.

Ohio is a key swing state which Bush won by just four percentage points in 2000, and Clark county is at its heart.

The campaign is a bid to sway voters on the county's electoral register who have declared themselves undecided.

As of Monday night, more than 14,000 people had registered to write to a voter in Cook county which has a population of just 143,000.

Individuals like film director Ken Loach, spy writer John Le Carre, historian Antonia Fraser and opposition Liberal Democratic parliamentarian Menzies Campbell have all written in their own capacity -- not that their names necessarily carry much weight in Cook county.

The Guardian, which simply bought a list of registered voters and extracted the undecided, pledged that it would only give out the name of each voter once, to avoid them being swamped by unsolicited mail from complete strangers.

"We know that in many ways this is the world's election, and we understand the passion and concern in many parts of the world over it. But I wonder how people here in the UK would react to Americans telling them how to vote," Democrats Abroad's Manitta said.

"This will certainly garner more votes for George Bush. I have strongly advised other media entities who have come to me and suggested this against doing so," she added.

While some e-mails to the Guardian from Democrats in Ohio were supportive, others suggested the campaign was misguided.

But their mild admonitions paled into insignificance against the more reactionary views received by the paper.

"Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions. If you want to save the world, begin with you own worthless corner of it," wrote one from Texas.

Source: cnn.com

#2    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:05 PM

God Bless Texas.
It's not the world's election.

#3    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:12 PM

The rest of the world can mind their own business and let us haggle it out amoungst ourselves. In fact........ never mind it is probably falling on deaqf ears.

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#4    vimjams

vimjams

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• it Itches

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

"Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions. If you want to save the world, begin with you own worthless corner of it,"

There speaks the voice of a true ally.

BRITISH TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ

Vimjams
ph34r.gif

Posted Image

#5    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:30 PM

That is fine by me get them out now!!!!! And when the next bomb goes off in London don't come crying to the United States of America. In fact perhaps the United States should just pull all of our troops out of the worlds hot spots and let the tyrants have their way. No more foreign aid of any kind, be it finiancial, humanitarian, military or any other aid. I think the United States has been the worlds big brother long enough, it is time for someone else to carry the ball for a while. Ohhhhh and that also includes booting out of our country everyone who is not a United States citizen, including the folks at that wonderful building in New York City, you remember the U.N., that spineless bunch of waste. Boot them out as well....

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#6    chico del nacho

chico del nacho

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

• First and Foremost Member of The Doomsday Bananas

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:32 PM

*sniff* such a message of tolerance just warms my heart...

i still vote for social democracy. it's like communism lite! only 1/3 the calories of normal communism!
whoever said "money can't buy happiness" was never poor.
I think there's something innately wrong about most people to inspire alien curiousity.
i'm so proud of this post...
Seriousness is stupidity sent to college. -P. J. O'Rourke
Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. -Oscar Wilde

#7    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:36 PM

I am very tolerent, I am also tired of this country carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders. If the world don't want our help then we should stop giving it....

#8    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(twpdyp @ Oct 19 2004, 04:30 PM)
I think the United States has been the worlds big brother long enough

View Post

I agree, but not in the sense that you're implying.

QUOTE(twpdyp)
Ohhhhh and that also includes booting out of our country everyone who is not a United States citizen, including the folks at that wonderful building in New York City, you remember the U.N., that spineless bunch of waste. Boot them out as well....

Wow, are you ever a smart guy.  rolleyes.gif

*applauds*

Edited by Disinterested, 19 October 2004 - 04:34 PM.

#9    vimjams

vimjams

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• it Itches

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:05 PM

twpdyp...You are far from being tolerant. I think you fail to notice intolerence in your rhetoric of utter contempt for foreign nationals.

As for being the 'Big Brother' of the world...Don't flatter yourself. Most of the hotspots you are referring to have been the direct result of US interference and/or exploitation...But don't concern yourself with that.

And when the next bomb goes off in London don't come crying to the United States of America.

You've got to be 'aving a larf 'aven't ya...

When the IRA were blowing up people and places in parts of Britain...Where do you think their cash (money) was coming from?

No more foreign aid of any kind, be it finiancial, humanitarian, military or any other aid.

'God bless America'...To give in such an unconditional way.

The trouble with some Americans is that they actually believe in their 'Hollywood' hype.

Vimjams
ph34r.gif

Edited by vimjams, 19 October 2004 - 04:06 PM.

Posted Image

#10    chico del nacho

chico del nacho

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

• First and Foremost Member of The Doomsday Bananas

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

hooray for vimjams grin2.gif thumbup.gif

i still vote for social democracy. it's like communism lite! only 1/3 the calories of normal communism!
whoever said "money can't buy happiness" was never poor.
I think there's something innately wrong about most people to inspire alien curiousity.
i'm so proud of this post...
Seriousness is stupidity sent to college. -P. J. O'Rourke
Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. -Oscar Wilde

#11    vimjams

vimjams

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• it Itches

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:09 PM

The rest of the world can mind their own business and let us haggle it out amoungst ourselves.

We would gladly if the facts were as you claim..."None of our business"

Vimjams
ph34r.gif

Posted Image

#12    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(chico del nacho @ Oct 19 2004, 05:06 PM)
hooray for vimjams grin2.gif thumbup.gif

View Post

Yeah, well said dude!  thumbsup.gif

#13    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(vimjams @ Oct 19 2004, 12:05 PM)

The trouble with some Americans is that they actually believe in their 'Hollywood' hype.

Vimjams
ph34r.gif

View Post

You struck a cord right here. I like that. Bravo!

#14    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:27 PM

I think some people refuse to understand is that it's not just America that's in Iraq right now.

#15    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:39 PM

You know I do believe we, The United States, owe everyone in the world an apology. So I am extending that apology on behalf of my country men and women, we humbly offer our sincerest apology to all of the world. We apologize for interfering in world affairs. We apologize for trying to offer humanitary aid where it is needed. We apologize for trying to lift the level of freedom in the world and ousting the world's tyrants. We apologize for signing The North American Free Trade Agreement which tried to level the economic playing field here in North America. We very sincerely apologize for opening up our borders so that people of all walks of life can come here and get a first rate education. The list could go on for hours but suffice it to say we sincerely hope that this apology is accepted in the same humble manner it is being offered. So as I extend my hand in an effort to make amends for my country's terrible past behaviors please take my hand in a show of solidarity and peace that should spread across the earth. Then we can sit arm in arm and sing simple songs of hope. The world can be as one, living in peace and harmony. That is until the next tyrant comes along, or the next bomb goes off, or the next person decides that that person would look better without a head. But by then we will have planted daisies in our rifle barrels and turned our naval vessels into tourist traps.
Let our election be our election, if you want british troops out of Iraq then so be it. But it is wrong for there to be interference in our election process. Petition Mr. Blair and use your rights to get your troops home, if that is your cause then I support you in it for it is your country men not mine. My 18 year old son has dreams of becoming a United States Navy Seal, and going over seas and fighting for freedom. Freedom for all of the world's people. So that they will have the freedom to make choices in their leadership, their lives, and their religion. Take my remarks in the manner they were intended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users