Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why Men Oppress Women

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#1    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,420 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

I just came across this article from Psychology Today:

http://www.psycholog...n-oppress-women

Having often wondered why women have been (and in some places still are) treated as inferior beings  this article answered my question quite well.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#2    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,738 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Humania?  Hmmm...  I kind of agree...I just use a different term...CaveManSyndrome.   You can take the man out of the cave...but you can't take the cave out of the man.
It really all goes back to the dawn of our species...lots of dangers...and who was it that killed the beast, and then drug it home?  The Man.  And it has not changed much since the beginning.  Today,  men go to work, bring home the money and as such feel empowered by that.
And in places like Iran, if a woman is raped, she may also be stoned to death...because if she was raped it was her own fault for being slutty, otherwise she would not have been raped.

We need to evolve more...I just don't see any way that will happen...especially in times of conflict or hardships, we revert back to the CaveManSyndrome...the big strong man takes control and the women become subservient.

But, and...on a different note...not all is lost because look what you women have...dishwashers, washing machines, appliances of every description to make your pathetic lives a bit easier...and who invented them all?  A man.   And where does that take us?  Right back to Humania where men rule and women are just baby machines who clean up after us.   What ever happened to throwing your cape over a puddle so a woman didn't have to get her feet wet?

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#3    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Like the article stated, many cultures in the Americas revered their women without oppressing them.

I think there is a natural instinct in most men that drives them to protect their offsprings, which makes them naturally more physical and aggressive and in need to control.
However that has changed, in the West most men treat women as equal and we have seen a rise in women being the ones that go out to work to feed and protect the family.

I have noticed that the more religious a country, the more oppressed its women are. I believe that many religions were created to oppress the masses and women are as guilty as men for following directions from a god that treat them as second class citizens.

Men and women are different, but equal, and we can see that in Western cultures.

Great thread! :yes:

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#4    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostAggie, on 04 August 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

I have noticed that the more religious a country, the more oppressed its women are. I believe that many religions were created to oppress the masses and women are as guilty as men for following directions from a god that treat them as second class citizens.

Can we finally do without these stupid generalizations about "religion" in general?

Some religions DO declare women as inferior.
Other religions DO NOT.

So to make statements about being "religious" as if that were one fixed position is simply stupid.

Edited by Zaphod222, 04 August 2013 - 01:17 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#5    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 04 August 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Can we finally do without these stupid generalizations about "religion" in general?

Other religions DO NOT.

So to make statements about being "religious" as if that were one fixed position is simply stupid.

Zaphod, re-read my post: I said MANY religions, I never said ALL cause some religions are not, I know that.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#6    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,738 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 04 August 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Other religions DO NOT.

I think the genralization about 'religion' is quite correct...because generalizations most 'generally' describe the main-streamness of that which is being discussed.   Main stream religions do descriminate to a large degree when it comes to women.  Name some that don't.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#7    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postjoc, on 04 August 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Main stream religions do descriminate to a large degree when it comes to women.  Name some that don't.

Define "main stream". That is another one of these weasel terms that lets you pick and choose.

Anyway, to answer your questions, Bahaism does NOT discriminate against women. Buddhism does not in principle. And neither does the form of modern, enlightened Christianity that most Western countries have.

Islam of course, is right on the other extreme.... think Christianity around the time of Torquemada, and then some.

To lump all that together in broad roundhouse statement about "religions", is, well, stupid.

Edited by Zaphod222, 04 August 2013 - 01:36 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#8    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Zaphod, I don't know much about Bahanism to comment but I am a former Catholic and the only reason christian women are not oppressed is because they don't really follow the Old testament much, cause if they did they would be as oppressed as the other two sister religions: Judaism and Islam.

Paganism does not oppress women.

But the reason why women are not oppressed in the west is not because of their religions, it's because Western countries are secular.

Edited by Aggie, 04 August 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#9    0lly

0lly

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think it is men who are downtrodden.   :yes:

Jacob cooked stew, Abraham served guests, and priest are told - more than once - to wash their clothes. The scriptures contain many references to men engaged in household tasks.

1. "[Abraham] said: 'Let me get you something to eat'... He then brought some curds and milk...and set these before them.")(Genesis 18:5)

2. "[Lot] prepared a feast for them... and baked unleavened bread" (Genesis: 19:3)

3. "[Laban] said 'I have prepared the house'." (Genesis: 24-31)

4. "Jacob was cooking some stew" (Genesis 25 – 29)

5. "A man...shall wash his clothes" (Leviticus: 13, 2: 6, 34)

6. "The priest shall then wash his clothes" (Numbers: 19:7)

7. "A man kindles a fire…and bakes bread. He prepares his meal, he roasts his meat and eats" (Isaiah 44: 15 – 16)

8. "Pharisees...you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish" (Matt 23:25)

9. "The disciples…prepared the Passover" ( Matt 26:19)

10. "Jesus poured water in the basin and began to wash the disciple's feet and to wipe them with the towel with which he was girded" (John 13:5)

11. "The twelve" in the Jerusalem Church had the responsibility to serve tables (Acts 6: 1-2)

12. "The Philippian jailer took [Paul and Silas] and washed their wounds...and he brought them into his house and set food before them."   (Acts 16: 27, 33, 34)

#10    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,420 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

View Postjoc, on 04 August 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

But, and...on a different note...not all is lost because look what you women have...dishwashers, washing machines, appliances of every description to make your pathetic lives a bit easier...and who invented them all?  A man.  

The dishwasher was invented by a woman. Windshield wipers for cars and Kevlar body armour (to make men's pathetic lives easier) were also invented by women.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#11    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostAggie, on 04 August 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Zaphod, I don't know much about Bahanism to comment but I am a former Catholic and the only reason christian women are not oppressed is because they don't really follow the Old testament much,

That is the point. Modern Christianity does not take the Old Testament literally. Otherwise, it would be pretty much indistinguishable from islam.

That is why I specifically said "modern Christianity", and not "medieval Christianity".

Here is a hint for you: Read up on the age of enlightenment.

#12    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Not worldwide.....the ancient Irish revered their women....they loved them!

Look into the ancient celts....Boudica (welsh) was a fine queen and her people loved and respected her.  She gave the Romans a run for their money but was eventually defeated and she committed suicide.....sad times.  She was a firestorm in her day.

Men are trying to find their place in a brave new world.  We all have strengths and weaknesses....

For years, I was the bread winner and the wife stayed home and took care of our children...it was a choice...a decision we made.  Sure, we could have had more money but we chose a different path.  Now that ourt children are grown and my youngest is in her third year of college..I am self employed and work from home and my wife is free to pursue her career dreams.  Over the years, we moved all over the place for my career....now it is her turn.  She is free to be as big or small as she chooses.  I am only here to provide support.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think men and women are all the same, but different.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think the history of the few women who have been actual rulers in this world is not bad -- Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, Elizabeth I, Katherine the Great, Hatshepsut, Golda Meir immediately come to mind.  In fact, "not bad" is an understatement -- they were all quite good.  Seems to me this is an experiment we should try a lot more often.

#15    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,008 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 August 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

I think men and women are all the same, but different.

Yes...I would like your report with specific details on that, Frank. I want it to be clear and precise, I want you to be frank, Frank.

BTW, this will count as a UM grade for the year.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users