Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

Disrespect for those who deserve respect

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

We have a bunch of athiest and others, running around the country trying to have all religous symbols removed.  They are desrespecting not only those who killed in battle, but they are also disrespecting those who put these monuments up.  The sad part is that these men and women died so we had the right to desrespect them.  Sometimes when you have a right, such as freedom of speach, you shouldn't exercise it.

Stop this attack on our dead heros and their families.

I remind you, I do not use holy symbols.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

I think a point they also forget that, in the U.S. at least, we have freedom of religion. If that offends people's perception of political correctness then they can move to North Korea, where they'll never have to see or hear of religion again!

In all seriousness there is freedom of speech, then there's just being a self rightous dick.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,375 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

POPULAR

Political correctness has created a tyranny of the minority.  It is absurd and has gotten WAY out of control.  When a person in 2013 can lose contracts and employment because of words uttered 3 decades before that are offensive now but were mainstream then, we have a serious lack of freedom at stake.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Contracts are different than the government removing symbols.

If a private company decides to not do business w/ someone anymore, that's them using their freedom to express their thoughts.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#5    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

I agree with SkepticalB in that a private  company does have the right to determine how they do business, but the fact that does happen frequently, to me anyway, just says that people nowadays are slowly developing into a bunch of damn toddlers who can't handle a single imperfection in there illusion of how the world revolves around them and their beliefs... woo that was a mouthful!

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,640 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

When I die, I'll probably have a Crucifix on my tombstone. If that offends someone in the future that's their problem. They do not, however, have the right to change my decision based on their offence.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 8,622 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

POPULAR

View Postdanielost, on 04 August 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

We have a bunch of athiest and others, running around the country trying to have all religous symbols removed.
We are not trying to have all religious symbols remved. Just the ones that appear on state owned land. Having them there violates the separation of church and state.

They are desrespecting not only those who killed in battle, but they are also disrespecting those who put these monuments up.
Those who died in battle died for the laws and freedoms of the US, Including the separation of church and state.

Those who put up the monuments were in violation of the Separation of Church and State, working to fix those cases is out of respect of those who've died.

Stop using dead men and women to try to push your own agenda.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#8    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 8,622 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 05 August 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

When I die, I'll probably have a Crucifix on my tombstone. If that offends someone in the future that's their problem. They do not, however, have the right to change my decision based on their offence.
It's your own personal tombstone, no worries.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,002 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

What symbols are they removing and where?  We are a secular nation, I don't want religious symbols on government land or on Government buildings. If you are taking about graves the grave belong to who is in it, so that would be an exception. It took a long time for Wiccans to be able to use a pentacle on their grave stone.  So I guess rights are really just for the right religion.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#10    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Shot in the dark, maybe they mean the Ten Commandments in some courtrooms?

#11    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,545 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm glad we have separation of church and state. This keeps Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.. out of our state and federal buildings as well. So there should never be sharia based on our founding fathers wisdom.

Edited by Realm, 05 August 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#12    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 8,622 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 05 August 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Shot in the dark, maybe they mean the Ten Commandments in some courtrooms?
One of the things he's complaining about, to be sure. I was actually at the courthouse in Starke Florida when the atheist monument was unveiled. The judge decided the best option was instead of removing the Christian commandments, to open it up to all.
Which isn't my preference, I'd rather there not be any monuments, Christian or Atheist.

View PostRealm, on 05 August 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

I'm glad we have separation of church and state. This keeps Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.. out of our state and federal buildings as well. So there should never be sharia based on our founding fathers wisdom.
Keeps them from putting one of the other groups under their heel. The idea was originally in place mostly due to how the different Christian groups actively discriminated against each other.

-Terry Pratchett

#13    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 7,812 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

It's annoying when someone starts a thread with a blanket statement and then leaves before clarifying what it is they mean.

#14    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:38 AM

I'm going to assume he's jedi by faith and is upset there's no Star Wars posters for national monuments

#15    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 8,622 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 05 August 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

I'm going to assume he's jedi by faith and is upset there's no Star Wars posters for national monuments
Posted Image

-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users