Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

8 Ways Privatization Has Failed America

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Some of America's leading news analysts are beginning to recognize the fallacy of the "free market." Said Ted Koppel, "We are privatizing ourselves into one disaster after another."Fareed Zakaria admitted, "I am a big fan of the free market...But precisely because it is so powerful, in places where it doesn't work well, it can cause huge distortions." They're right. A little analysis reveals that privatization doesn't seem to work in any of the areas vital to the American public.

http://www.commondre...view/2013/08/05

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,791 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

It always was a fallacy to assume that private companies could do something better or cheaper than the government on the long run. The only real advantage is that private companies can do certain things without public scrutiny.

But do we really want law enforcement, defense and municipal tasks performed without scrutiny?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,691 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Maybe this list should be called the failure of the Hybrid system. Seeing how almost everything on this list is not privately owned. It is more of a unholy mix of private and government.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'm not saying that what they wrote is wrong, but it does appear to be almost entirely cherry picking of facts to Sell an image of Leftist idiology.

This kind of article is always like "Free Market is bad because..." and then throws out the most extreme examples they can find, so that readers will assume that the rest of the world is SO VERY MUCH better and that the US is still using medieval medicine, medieval transport and medieval economics. And even if some nations do things more cheaply, that does not make what we are doing necessarily wrong.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 05 August 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I'm not saying that what they wrote is wrong, but it does appear to be almost entirely cherry picking of facts to Sell an image of Leftist idiology.

This kind of article is always like "Free Market is bad because..." and then throws out the most extreme examples they can find, so that readers will assume that the rest of the world is SO VERY MUCH better and that the US is still using medieval medicine, medieval transport and medieval economics. And even if some nations do things more cheaply, that does not make what we are doing necessarily wrong.

View PostDieChecker, on 05 August 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Let´s see.....they are talking about health-care, water. transportation. internet amongst other essentials. How in the world is this cherry-picking? These are products we all NEED. And in comparison to other countries. you are being "donged" on them.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,227 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

You know what the best way to regulate the free market is?
The government offers the same services.
We used to have in Oz a government bank (Commonwealth Bank) that had sod all fees, interest rates tied directly to the reserve bank etc. It was basically the "battlers bank", it helped regulate the industry by being competitive. Our equivalent of the Troy Party privatised it - presumably at the behest of the other "stakeholders" in the banking industry. Nowadays banks regulate themselves.
We have government schools and private schools. We have government hospitals and private hospitals. And each and every time, the existence of a government service regulates that industry.

that's what should be done. The government just offers solidly reliable services in all industry and thus influences the market.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,034 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

The same way it is here, Sir.

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,227 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostMichelle, on 05 August 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

The same way it is here, Sir.
then the government is failing in offering suitable services if the private concerns are unphased by their involvement in the industry.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,356 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 August 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

It always was a fallacy to assume that private companies could do something better or cheaper than the government on the long run. The only real advantage is that private companies can do certain things without public scrutiny.

But do we really want law enforcement, defense and municipal tasks performed without scrutiny?

:tu:   When you privatize everybody has to have a profit margin.  Profit adds layer of cost to taxpayer.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#10    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

In my opinion:

I don't consider waiting a year for surgery in Canada because of govt run health care to be better than a 3-week wait in United States. And I don't consider it cheaper when the patient waiting 3-4x longer for surgery requires more medications, more doctor visits more coping treatments (whether doc sanctioned or worse) more therapy and more medical devices plus loss of work...
How many countries are struggling financially or beginning to see the financial costs of offering universal health care? I point out the above, not to be an intolerant prick, but to point out there is trouble in govt run paradise as well.

I don't care how well some country touts and grandstands its systems. Or, how some strict intolerant agenda driven worldview does either.

I want to see honesty as to the benefits and problems from multiple citizens' stand points on up the ranks.

Neither govt run nor private run would be a panacea. But unless we stop playing strict partisan games we'll never even get close to one.

It's like life is nothing but a competitive soccer game. "We're the best and you suck!" End of discussion.
Instead of "Okay, your goalie is better than ours." "Your star player is stronger."  "But our coach is more creative and successful in his plays." Simplistic, I know. But when we act like ___________... it fits....

Edited by QuiteContrary, 06 August 2013 - 12:30 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

View Postjugoso, on 05 August 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Let´s see.....they are talking about health-care, water. transportation. internet amongst other essentials. How in the world is this cherry-picking? These are products we all NEED. And in comparison to other countries. you are being "donged" on them.
Cherry picking as in they use Korea as an example for internet speed, but what is the speed in France, Germany, Japan, Brazil, Egypt, Greece??? Better? How much so? I don't know. Could be the Korea is the worst other nation or the best. The article doesn't quantify such.

Transport.... The article talks about China's high speed network, but hell, what does that directly correlate with? Does it link all of China? Does it link only the Eastern ciities? Is it only inside the Metro areas?

Do you believe that there are No Positive areas that the US has achieved in these areas? If so, then I understand where you are coming from and will stand down, as arguing with the totally committed is not one of my favorite things to do.

Sure, I could go and Fact-Check each "fact" in the article. Probably take, 3 to 6 hours. I chould also go look for countering "facts" that show that the articles "Facts" are wrong, or misquoted, or are not so great.  Sure, I could do that, but it is much easier to read a piece like this and process it and understand that it is a cherry pick hit piece. That is just what it is.....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

I think the reason private companies often perform better than state companies is when they have serious competition.  Unfortunately as time passes the competitors either drop away or find ways to avoid head-on competition, and over time private enterprise grinds down to near-monopolistic self-perpetuating bureaucracies.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 05 August 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

You know what the best way to regulate the free market is?
The government offers the same services.
We used to have in Oz a government bank (Commonwealth Bank) that had sod all fees, interest rates tied directly to the reserve bank etc. It was basically the "battlers bank", it helped regulate the industry by being competitive. Our equivalent of the Troy Party privatised it - presumably at the behest of the other "stakeholders" in the banking industry. Nowadays banks regulate themselves.
We have government schools and private schools. We have government hospitals and private hospitals. And each and every time, the existence of a government service regulates that industry.

that's what should be done. The government just offers solidly reliable services in all industry and thus influences the market.
I tend to agree with this sentiment. If there is no government interest in an industry, then the industry charges whatever it can get away with, sometimes insanely high pricing. But, the same can happen in a system where only the government is the industry. Not necessarily that it becomes expensive, but that it gets corrupt, with slower and slower service and workers.

The problem I feel with Privatization is that the GOVERNMENT is the decider on who gets the privatized industry. They decided who was going to screw up the water, electric, internet, transport.... What was not allowed was free interprize actually take over. The government basically took their department and tossed it to a civilian contractor... well running a buisiness is a lot different then running a government office, and it is no wonder that so much was caused to fail.

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 August 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

I think the reason private companies often perform better than state companies is when they have serious competition.  Unfortunately as time passes the competitors either drop away or find ways to avoid head-on competition, and over time private enterprise grinds down to near-monopolistic self-perpetuating bureaucracies.
I do agree with this too. A single monolithic private industry taking over for the government is not any more healthy then the government.

Just as the Federal Postal System is competing with dozens of independent parcel and letter companies. If there was only FedEx and no others, I suspect that FedEx would sux.

#15    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

Vital areas to the public are those that should be owned by the government.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users