Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How could you prove time travel?

time travel

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 06 August 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

it could be the idea that gets you into writing and hones your skills. im currently writing one at the mo and realised what my strengths and weaknesses are

But... but... If I start doing that I won't be able to post on here as often... (hundreds of UMers suddenly start chanting "Do it!" "Do It!")....

#17    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

I'd definitely be interested in reading it Taun

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

I don't think time travel is a meaningful idea other than the forward sense we have.

This is because my view of  time is one of there only exists the present.  The "past" is our sense of the way the present was based on the traces it has left us and the "future" is what the continuance of changes to the present will cause it to become.  Put another way, we are always in the present, each moment becoming the past.

#19    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• Closed
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

From the future I'd simply say a newspaper. Then wait for the day to come, and the entire paper should match exactly word for word, when compared to the current newspaper.

From the past, bring me to the future, hell, I'd know me.

#20    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,112 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

View Postdesigner, on 06 August 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I was discussing this with my son and everything we came up with could be called a fake. If you took a photo in the past and came back, it would be said to be a photoshop. Just about anything could bring back could be labeled a fake. Artifact, signature, photo, etc. My son said to teleport in front of them, but magicians disappear all the time, who would believe that?
What would be indisputable proof?

You seem to be taking a bit of a nonsense approach.
yes, deunkers could claim photoshop but any serious examination would reveal the photograph was unendited, video would be even better.
Magicians can only appear suddenly if they have extensive preparation beforehand, if instead you just appear on command in a lab, then that is a completly different kettle of fish.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#21    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Go back to the time the Great Pyramid was being built and in that room at the end of the shaft that the robot got some photos of, write "The world will not end on December 21, 2012"

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Why aren't we pestered by tourists from the future?

#23    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 07 August 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Why aren't we pestered by tourists from the future?

Maybe we are.....but we just don't know about it!

*cues The Twilight Zone theme*

Edited by Aggie, 07 August 2013 - 06:05 PM.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yea, sure.

#25    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

IF time travel were possible I can pretty much guarantee you that everybody wouldn't have access to it, there would probably be rules that you had to follow also, so you didn't create some type of paradox whatever that paradox may be.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Someone finally brings up the paradoxes.  Another reason -- this time logical -- for saying the past is not a "place" cause then it could be changed, and that would be problematic.

#27    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

How would you time travel though, through an open portal which would be very possible to prove, or something more along the lines of Back to the Future?

Travel back in time and just get a picture taken in the past with a note that says Like Jinxdom Crazy UM member and make sure it gets printed in an old newspaper or maybe a painting. At worst you get one of those posts that say hey I look almost identical to that guy from the past type of topics.

With a portal though you could just open it up to five minutes ago and go hey look that was you five minutes ago.  

Now proving time travel to the future might be a tad bit more difficult.

#28    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 07 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Someone finally brings up the paradoxes.  Another reason -- this time logical -- for saying the past is not a "place" cause then it could be changed, and that would be problematic.
:tu:

#29    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

View Postdesigner, on 06 August 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I was discussing this with my son and everything we came up with could be called a fake. If you took a photo in the past and came back, it would be said to be a photoshop. Just about anything could bring back could be labeled a fake. Artifact, signature, photo, etc. My son said to teleport in front of them, but magicians disappear all the time, who would believe that?
What would be indisputable proof?

Bring back a live Glyptodon, or Sabertooth, or Megaloceros or a film of the Great Pyramid or Stonehenge during construction. :tu:

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#30    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

The thing is... If I had a fully functional time machine... Why would I want any one else to know about it?

Also tagged with time travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users