Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tourist Breaks Priceless 14th Century Statue

Still Waters

A hapless US tourist could face a hefty fine after breaking off a finger from a 14th century statue in a Florence museum.

The unnamed American was reportedly attempting to measure the finger from the Vergine e all'Angelo Annunciatore (Virgin and the angel announcer) when part of its little finger broke off.

http://news.sky.com/...riceless-statue

• Like 1

My fellow Americans: Please stop touching stuff in other countries! They are clearly not built to withstand our sausage fingered sasquatch hands!

• Like 4

sad

• Like 1

I've never been around the world to view such artifacts, but it surprises me that someone could get that close.

Not saying they should all be encased with a plexiglass box, but a velvet-type rope to indicate "stand-off" should be standard.

• Like 2

On a brighter note, at dinner parties one could say "Oh yes, I sponsored the restoration of Giovanni d'Ambrogio's Vergine e all'Angelo Annunciatore...

• Like 4

I think they should skip the fine and just put a mugshot of the tourist at the entrance of the museum along with the notice, "Please don't touch the exhibits. This idiot actually broke one of them."

• Like 1

Allowing anyone to get close enough to touch a priceless artifact is just irresponsible. Stuff happens on the best of days and with tourists - especially US tourists - anything is possible. A habit I learned in pain in my childhood was sticking my hands DEEP into my pockets when around things I could not afford to break ;)

• Like 1

Why was he measuring the finger anyway??? Pfft...

• Like 2

The good news is that the broken hand was not part of the original statue and had been restored years earlier.

• Like 2

Why was he measuring the finger anyway??? Pfft...

Probably curious as to the finger length/ member length theory

• Like 1

Probably curious as to the finger length/ member length theory

hmmmm i doubt that, and i thought it was foot length and member legnth

The good news is that the broken hand was not part of the original statue and had been restored years earlier.

Wow...that reminds me of THE NECKLACE by Guy De Maupassant. All that fuss and bother over a "fake".
  • Like 1

yeah some people dont think some times, it facinates me how simple the human race can be

I was wondering why there was a reinforcing rod sticking out. Didn't seem like standard Renaissance practice.

• Like 1

I was wondering why there was a reinforcing rod sticking out. Didn't seem like standard Renaissance practice.

indeed

yeah some people dont think some times, it facinates me how simple the human race can be

wuduya mean? But that is good news for the guy that the finger was not original ... takes a little heat off him . I wonder what happened to the original hand ¿ Someone find out and get back to us on that. [lol]

Edited by lightly

Regardless of the authenticity one simply shouldn't touch stuff that doesn't belong to them. My Mom taught me this when I was 4 or 5 years old for goodness sakes.

I touched the Rosetta Stone when the guard was napping near by... LOL .. the next time I saw it several years later it was under Plexiglas. LOL.