Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Buddhist Monk Levitation

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1    Xnibiru

Xnibiru

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Magician Dan White meets up with a Buddhist monk, in Nepal, who has the power of levitation. Do you believe this or not???
Watch: Buddhist Monk Levitation – Full Video
When I was a child, I heard many stories about some ancient people levitating into the air in broad day light. And I know many Buddhist monks have supernormal abitly and this is one of them.

#2    Dragonwind

Dragonwind

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

Most buddhist monks carry around a laptop and make a living off selling trinkets. No-one can levitate with supernatural powers.

This is a case of one magician meeting up with another.

#3    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

I wonder if he could still perform the trick if he was sitting in the middle of the room away from the curtain?

Bit more impressed with this guy's trick: https://www.youtube....h?v=uWA8Ui7cc9U

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

No, I do not believe it.

#5    Xnibiru

Xnibiru

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDragonwind, on 07 August 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Most buddhist monks carry around a laptop and make a living off selling trinkets. No-one can levitate with supernatural powers.

This is a case of one magician meeting up with another.

Maybe you don't know there are many monks in ShaoLin temple or Dao cultivators in China with strange abilities.

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostXnibiru, on 07 August 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Maybe you don't know there are many monks in ShaoLin temple or Dao cultivators in China with strange abilities.
Well, many claim to have abilities, but few actually seem to be able to demonstrate them without requiring the same set up a magician needs.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,002 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostXnibiru, on 07 August 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

Magician Dan White meets up with a Buddhist monk, in Nepal, who has the power of levitation. Do you believe this or not???
Watch: Buddhist Monk Levitation – Full Video
When I was a child, I heard many stories about some ancient people levitating into the air in broad day light. And I know many Buddhist monks have supernormal abitly and this is one of them.

sorry but NO-ONE, ever, can levitate! If it was at all do-able, id have invested in the training/knowledge years ago. But its all some form of trickery, and as has been said already here, take away any props and the levitater is screwed.  Heres some more

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

No we don´t know that, and neither do you. You are simply believing stories.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#9    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

It goes to show how even the 'humble monk' will try and trick people. That's the different between a magician and someone who claims to have special powers - a magician tells you it's a trick, the other will try and deceive you into believing it's real.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#10    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 07 August 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

I wonder if he could still perform the trick if he was sitting in the middle of the room away from the curtain?

I don´t...

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#11    Xnibiru

Xnibiru

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Postseeder, on 07 August 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

sorry but NO-ONE, ever, can levitate! If it was at all do-able, id have invested in the training/knowledge years ago. But its all some form of trickery, and as has been said already here, take away any props and the levitater is screwed.  Heres some more
Sorry, the case of the monk is not like these cases at all. These are not called levitating capability.

#12    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,849 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

You, sir, have the sort of keen and discerning mein that tells me you recognize quality, value and economy as well as the mysterious. For such a person as yourself, I have a unrepeatable offer: I can sell you at an amazingly low price that well-known edifice but a few rods from my own home, the Brooklyn Bridge. Yes, the amount of fund necessary to fund this transaction is almost embarassingly low, but, as they say, needs must when the devil drives. Please PM for me additional information so we can make this happen!

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,002 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostXnibiru, on 07 August 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

Sorry, the case of the monk is not like these cases at all. These are not called levitating capability.

The one thing thats the same though no matter how the trick is done, is that they have ROBES which conveniently cover whatever contraption does the lifting.  (Or curtains) . Lets see anyone of them do it in just shorts!!

If you really believe SOMEONE can levitate, then I know a Nigerian prince whose looking to send 42 Million US dollars to someone willing to accept a poxy 5 million USD in commission.

This is a serious offer, and I just need your full name, DOB, social security number, account number, and passport number.

Deal?

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#14    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Who's to say what is proper?

• 2,987 posts

• "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

So I know most of you don't buy it and neither do I, but if it is a trick, how exactly are they doing it? I don't see any obvious props besides the cane/stick and then in the video with the monk, I don't see how he tricked us? Can anyone of you explain the process? I'd be interested to know so that I might understand how they deceive people.

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,002 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Its not just old monks who can do odd things either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users