Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Found after 40 years in the Vietnamese jungle

ho van thanh ho van lang vietnamese jungle tay tra district quang ngai province

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

A father and son have been found living in the jungle of Vietnam four decades after they went missing during the country's war with the U.S.

Ho Van Thanh and his son Ho Van Lang apparently fled their home village 40 years ago after a bomb killed three members of their family.

They were discovered by locals looking for firewood in deep forest in the Tay Tra district of Quang Ngai province.

http://www.dailymail...e-40-years.html

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,505 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

Pair of idiots.

#3    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Who's to say what is proper?

• 2,991 posts

• "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

Oh wow! Poor guys. They sure went through a lot. I feel for them. They had a normal life and then the war happened and their lives were drastically changed...I hope they live out the rest of their years peacefully and in good company.

#4    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Re-introducing them back into society isn't going to be easy. Especially the son.

Everything they see from now is a learning experience, imagine that. I would take them to the cinema to watch a scary horror film, to see the expressions on their faces, or a fair ground.

Posted Image

#5    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

@eldorado pair of idiots? Is there something wrong with you? His family got killed during war and they escaped into the forest and got lost and survived there over 40 years of time ! You think you can do better ?

#6    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,769 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Looks like nicotine found them first

#7    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

@Elderado. Wow. I guess if you're ever in a war you'll just lay down and die right after they murder your family.

Do you blame them for being scared and hiding out?

#8    bzykillnzombies

bzykillnzombies

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

@whydontyoubeleiveme. Agreed!

#9    southron_98

southron_98

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Jack asses like this is what is wrong with us.  Their idea of education is a fouth grade history book they have no idea about Japanese soldiers holding out for 50 years,  Russians, and other cultures who faced the real world.  He is a good arguement for planned parenthood

#10    Enoonmai

Enoonmai

Psychic Spy

• 1,832 posts

• There are things known, and things unknown, in between are the doors

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

I have many Vietnamese friends, they are smart, witty and compassionate. To live in the jungle that long you have to know all kinds of primitive technologies, you have to be a human tiger. Forty years, I couldn't even imagine that. El, stick your other foot in your mouth :P

Lone Wolf; Test Everything - Believe Nothing

#11    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:01 AM

Man these guys are legends in their own right. They did what most other people would find impossible and lived a life that didn't involve Coca Cola, McDonalds and constant advertising as well as all the other bullsh!t we're subjected to on a daily basis.  i hope they realise they were better off and go back in there and live a happy life.

*snip*

Edited by Saru, 10 August 2013 - 12:11 PM.
Removed personal attack

#12    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,783 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostEldorado, on 09 August 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Pair of idiots.
Why?

I feel bad for them both, the kid more so. Fair enough doing it due to the war but the father should have given his kid a choice.

Of course he can try to justify it but the fact that the brother found them 20 years ago is a little weird.

I'm sure that if the kid (at that time) knew his options, he would not have chosen to live in the wild like that.

Posted Image

#13    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,505 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 10 August 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

Why?

I feel bad for them both, the kid more so. Fair enough doing it due to the war but the father should have given his kid a choice.

Of course he can try to justify it but the fact that the brother found them 20 years ago is a little weird.

I'm sure that if the kid (at that time) knew his options, he would not have chosen to live in the wild like that.

My post was out of order, Timonthy.  I was probably in a mood when I wrote that.  I can understand why they ran away to hide but hiding for 40 years is kinda crazy, imo.  Still, I shouldn't have called them idiots.  There but for the grace of God go I.
Apologies to all.

Edit for lousy spelling

Edited by Eldorado, 10 August 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#14    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

@Eldo..  I see where you were coming from...

During the 40yrs, how many Enemy soldiers did they come across in comparison to local villagers. Surely they felt there was no need to hide after not seeing any enemy troops, the skies alone would have been quiet without all the Air support activity.

When did they last hear, gun fire, bombings.

There is a degree of stupidity on the fathers part in deciding to hide.

Edited by xsas, 10 August 2013 - 11:34 AM.

Posted Image

#15    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

The title of this thread is ignorant. There never was a war between Vietnam "and the US".

There was a war between North and South Vietnam, with the ex Soviet Union supporting one side, and the US the other.
In the end, the Sovjet Side had more patience (and no domestic voters to deal with), the US bailed, and the North won.

People really should read some history.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users