Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Photographer turns fireworks into flowers

fireworks flowers alan sailer photographer colour

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,320 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

A quick glance at these pictures might have people believing they are the results of the latest set of wildlife close-ups - photographers using macro lenses to capture flowers in all their colourful glory.

But they are, in fact, the results of time-exposure photography and are not flowers at all - rather they are the violent and awe-inspiring bursts of colour from exploding fireworks.

http://www.dailymail...ke-flowers.html

Posted Image

#2    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

beautiful......nuff said

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,208 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

Interesting shots, but I have some issues with the DailyFail's comments..

they are the violent and awe-inspiring bursts of colour from exploding fireworks.
That implies that this is real detail, but it isn't.  It's bokeh.

Photographer Alan Sailer captures the moment a firework detonates in the air. His use of long-exposure shutter speeds creates the illusion that the light show is actually a red flower
To quote the cat - No-no-no-no-no.  If he was capturing that 'moment', it would all be emanating from one point - clearly these are taken well after the initial bang..  And it is not the long exposure that creates the key effect.  In general terms, any photographer will always use a long exposure to shoot fireworks.  The difference here is that he is deliberately defocusing the lens during the exposure - so all that much expanded stuff is not real detail, it is bokeh - the nature of that 'fuzz' is dependent on the lens design, the aperture blade design, the aperture setting, the focal length and just how much out of focus it is, as the bright spot of the actual firework moves through the field of view..

Change any of those, and you change the 'detail'.  So it is not a new way to analyse fireworks as the article seems to imply.

So...

offer a glimpse into the split-second beauty contained in fireworks
No, they do not.

But pretty - don't get me wrong..  I'm just a stickler for getting the explanation right...

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#4    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Very impressive...

I would have never guessed they were fire works.

Posted Image

#5    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Very good :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users