Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Bergman's Bear

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

I try to stay up to date on new creatures, but this one totally slipped by. It was "discovered" years ago and I'd never heard of it before today.
What do you think?
Is it a single anomaly? Just a big bear? A new breed? Some sort of cross link-- and to what? Is this the Big Foot of bears?
Also, are there any reliable sites for Bergman's Bear?

#2    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

LibGeek, on 10 August 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I try to stay up to date on new creatures, but this one totally slipped by. It was "discovered" years ago and I'd never heard of it before today.
What do you think?
Is it a single anomaly? Just a big bear? A new breed? Some sort of cross link-- and to what? Is this the Big Foot of bears?
Also, are there any reliable sites for Bergman's Bear?
Hi there. Interesting topic which I hadn't heard of before. There's been another UM thread on it in the past incidentally; http://www.unexplain...howtopic=146424

My left field guess is that it isn't a real bear at all, but a were-bear(!). The remote Kamchatka Peninsula is also home to a few alleged sightings of Mammoths(!). I think the 'giant bear' and 'mammoth' are actually the same cryptid mammal, which is a species related to the UK black dog phenomenon.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by NatureBoff, 10 August 2013 - 07:32 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,268 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

I believe there is a good chance of a large bear sub-species in Kamchatka. The "God Bear" was supposed to be very large and had an unusual coat and an unusual appearance.

There was a Discovery series that included the God Bear I think.

http://www.discovery...b1?OpenDocument
http://www.tvguide.c...episodeid=80499

Edited by DieChecker, 10 August 2013 - 07:42 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

If the special coat is still in existence, then it should be DNA tested, and I bet the high magnification of the hair medulla will give a result uniquely matching the rock hyrax, just like the analysis of the Sumatran Orang Pendek cryptid hair samples. (!)

Edited by NatureBoff, 10 August 2013 - 07:56 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#5    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Would this mammoth be its own species, or are there Mammoth Bears, Mammoth Wolves, etc?

Is this perhaps a left over Ice Age Bear like the Loch Ness Monster may be a surviving Plesiosaur?

#6    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

According to this:

http://www.strangear...tery-bears.html

Bergman's Bear may be something separate from The Kamchatka Giant Bear.

I've yet to find any measurement of paw print or height. It may be possible that this animal dwarfs all other giant bears. If this were so then how could they not be visible. Surely our omnipresent, all-knowing government has some sort of satellite on the location if its so difficult to reach. This leads me to believe its the already confirmed Kamchatka Giant Bear.

#7    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm suggesting that there's a clever species of mammal that masquerades as a big dog in the UK, and a big bear/mammoth in Kamchatka.

Here's an artist's representation which shows how it could be mistaken for a 'mammoth' by the uninformed interpretations of a local hunter's bizarre encounter.

Posted Image

#8    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

NatureBoff, on 10 August 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

I'm suggesting that there's a clever species of mammal that masquerades as a big dog in the UK, and a big bear/mammoth in Kamchatka.

Here's an artist's representation which shows how it could be mistaken for a 'mammoth' by the uninformed interpretations of a local hunter's bizarre encounter.

Posted Image

How could an animal so big masquerade as a mere dog or bear in civilization?

#9    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

http://en.wikipedia..../Bergman's_bear

They say its probably extinct

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#10    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:13 AM

Could this be related to the MacFarlane's bear? I remember seeing a bit on this some years ago in a Monster Quest episode.
Yep, I found it on Youtube "Giant Bear Attacks Monster Quest"
Watch at you own brain cell risk.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 11 August 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#11    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

This doesn't give any explanation as to why the bear would become extinct. Surely, if the polar bear is still alive, Bergman's can be too.

#12    ZOD

ZOD

Intern of the Illuminatti

• 5,116 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

maybe it was just too large an animal in too small an area to find enough food sources for it to stay alive.

If it exists that is

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#13    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:12 AM

NatureBoff, on 10 August 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

This is the artwork for the Dire Bear from Wizards of the Coast's roleplaying game, Dungeons and Dragons.  The initials are for Sam Wood, who is credited as one of the conceptual artists in the Monster Manual, Core Rulebook III v.3.5, in which this exact artwork appears on page 63.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#14    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

LibGeek, on 10 August 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

How could an animal so big masquerade as a mere dog or bear in civilization?
It tries not to be seen and is successful 99.9% of the time. Occasionally they get caught out and it's the human eyewitness who gets confused as to their true identity.

#15    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Insanity, on 11 August 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

This is the artwork for the Dire Bear from Wizards of the Coast's roleplaying game, Dungeons and Dragons.  The initials are for Sam Wood, who is credited as one of the conceptual artists in the Monster Manual, Core Rulebook III v.3.5, in which this exact artwork appears on page 63.
Okay, I got the pic from googling 'Bergman's Bear'. The size is a rough estimate from the Wikipedia statement:

Bergman determined that the bear was a separate subspecies after examining a hide (which had fur very different from other local bears) and series of footprints, measuring 14.5 x 10 inches, which he judged to be much larger than other bears on Kamchatka.

Some think that the Cold War may have helped the population to recover because the Soviet Military blocked access to the area in that time.[1]

Interest in the bear was revitalized in the 1960s. Hunter Rodion Sivolobov reported claims by Kamchatka natives of an unusually large bear they called either the Irkuiem (roughly meaning "trousers pulled down" due to the appearance of the bear's hind legs), or the "God bear" due to its large size.

The UK black dog and other similar cryptids from around the world are reported to have long slender legs, especially at the rear, with a long shaggy mane. This fits with the "trousers pulled down"  imv and would perhaps indicate extra fur around the feet to insulate against the snow on the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users