Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What's your favorite hoax?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

My personal favorite involves Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (author of Sherlock Holmes). His entire life he was fasacinated with fairies. When he received a photo of his friends' children with a couple dancing fairies, he was ecstatic and claimed they proved the existence of fairies.
It was not until after his death that the photos were proven fake. The mother of the two girls went on to become a fairly successful fantasy artist.
The two girls (now elderly) still claim that the photos are real.

#2    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Assuming it is a hoax, I'd go with the Patterson Film. Right type of camera and a half decent muscle suit that still has analyst guessing.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#3    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

Mine has to be the film of the glowing orbs instantly making the crop circle.  That one fooled millions of people!  In fact, even though they now know it was made by a man that owns and operates a film and movie editing company, tons of people still believe and flat refuse to accept it was a publicity stunt to promote their film making talents.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#4    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

hmmm.  nessiebigfootdemonsghostsmokelembembechupacabrachampmoderndaymegalodonprettymuchanythingwiththecryptozoologyorparanormallabelslappedonit.

yeah thats my favorite.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,920 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

The Loch Ness Monster.  It boosts our economy.  :)

#6    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Michigan Dogman......

The dude should have never come forward. It would have been a bigger hit then the Patterson film.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Man of The People

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostSakari, on 11 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Michigan Dogman......

The dude should have never come forward. It would have been a bigger hit then the Patterson film.

This was the one from the history channel series wasn't it?
my fave two hoaxes are the memaid and megladon hoaxes from the discovery channels this year.

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#8    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Though I realize the extent of a real threat this "hoax" had on listeners is debatable, I have to go with the War of the Worlds radio broadcast.
I think it was brilliant.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#9    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 11 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Though I realize the extent of a real threat this "hoax" had on listeners is debatable, I have to go with the War of the Worlds radio broadcast.
I think it was brilliant.

Is it a hoax if the readers went into stating at the beginning that it was a work of fiction?

#10    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostHugo Stiglitz, on 11 August 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

This was the one from the history channel series wasn't it?
my fave two hoaxes are the memaid and megladon hoaxes from the discovery channels this year.

No, it was a youtube video...

He came out and told the truth on that show though. The show had nothing to do with the hoax, he did it all himself.

As for the two shows you are calling hoax's, those were both Mockumentaries, and said they were fiction on the TV guides, and before and after the shows. I would not call those hoax's.

I would call the people that watched them, and thought they were real stupid.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#11    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostLibGeek, on 11 August 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Is it a hoax if the readers went into stating at the beginning that it was a work of fiction?

I put "hoax" in quotes. And  yes, I personally would say it fits, in it's own way. Which was the point of the broadcast, imo.

**Revealed hoaxes and  disclaimers still continue as reality for some...as witnessed on the Internet every day. And by the thousands of pages of debate on sites like UM.

edit to change **

Edited by QuiteContrary, 11 August 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#12    MrBene

MrBene

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• A regular guy

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Roswell incident boosted Roswell's economy. Yes. I'll go with Roswell.

Edited by MrBene, 11 August 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#13    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 11 August 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

I put "hoax" in quotes. And  yes, I personally would say it fits, in it's own way. Which was the point of the broadcast, imo.

**Revealed hoaxes and  disclaimers still continue as reality for some...as witnessed on the Internet every day. And by the thousands of pages of debate on sites like UM.

edit to change **

So by those standards, would you consider all radio dramas/readings hoaxes?

#14    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Man of The People

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Loch Ness monster was never proved to be a hoax,only the picture the surgeon took was way back when was.

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#15    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostLibGeek, on 11 August 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

So by those standards, would you consider all radio dramas/readings hoaxes?

I don't see the connection. Do I consider all radio dramas as hoaxes because I consider War of the Worlds played out as a "hoax" in its own way?
Did they realize the potential fall-out which could ensue from airing that particular broadcast?
You may not believe they did, but I am not so sure. They may have counted on it.

Like today, these producers know they can trick/fool/deceive audiences even with disclaimers attached.
Reality TV, cryptid/paranormal fairytales, Internet vids and photos--are just trickery using the media means available today.

In 1938, radio served as the outlet used to reach audiences and disclaimers didn't influence everyone then either and some were tricked, deceived, fooled, yes.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 11 August 2013 - 11:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users