Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Paganism as an escape of guilt

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Lately people have accused me of being non-Christian (not to be confused with anti-Christian) in order to escape the guilt associated with sinning.
Of course, I think this is ridiculous. Even if I take my personal notions out of it, it still makes no sense. Reason One: Karma. I firmly believe in it. Reason Two: Morals. They aren't just for Christians. Reason Three: Afterlife. I still believe the way I live will be directly reflected in my afterlife.
Does anyone else get this accusation from people? And if so, how do you deal with it?

#2    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,588 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I find that ignoring the ignorant helps! However being an agnostic (in the strictest sense) I doubt I get anywhere near as much flak as you would. Usually that type of person lashes out at others because they are experiencing a crises of there own faith, thus they go out of there way to degrade others.

So with that, perhaps it will be easier to just let the insults bounce off and you to come out as the mature one. Best of luck in your endeavour.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#3    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Ignoring would be nice. However, I work around this people constantly (not a paid job, so I can't complain of religious harassment) and they are constantly making annoying comments.
Normally I'd say nothing but if I'm already frustrated, I know I'm bound to say something I'll regret. I have a tough time not throwing their own religion back at them.

#4    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe, passing each day in peaceful contemplation"

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Laugh.

Posted Image

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,805 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

I get that kind of thing a lot.  Usually I just laugh and make a smart a** remark.  I been a Pagan for while, nothing Christians say surprises me. I tell them I don't need a book to tell me right from wrong.  I am responsible for my own actions which really what karma is, taking responsibility for this life.   "Harm none" works just fine for me.    What I love is when they tell me I am going to meet my maker one day. Then I grab a handful of dirt and say we have met and hold out my hand and introduce them to the Goddess. (No I don't throw it at them.) Boy, that makes them mad. ;)   As a Pagan it is a duty to have a set of quick remarks for them.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,588 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostLibGeek, on 11 August 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Ignoring would be nice. However, I work around this people constantly (not a paid job, so I can't complain of religious harassment) and they are constantly making annoying comments.
Normally I'd say nothing but if I'm already frustrated, I know I'm bound to say something I'll regret. I have a tough time not throwing their own religion back at them.

Yes that certainly wouldn't do you any favors, just look at half these forums. Hm, this is certainly a tough situation, knowing what what I know the best advice I can give you is tough it out, or go the law if things escalate. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, and I'm not to sure what the law could do as I'm not familiar with law in your location.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#7    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,588 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 11 August 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I get that kind of thing a lot.  Usually I just laugh and make a smart a** remark.  I been a Pagan for while, nothing Christians say surprises me. I tell them I don't need a book to tell me right from wrong.  I am responsible for my own actions which really what karma is, taking responsibility for this life.   "Harm none" works just fine for me.    What I love is when they tell me I am going to meet my maker one day. Then I grab a handful of dirt and say we have met and hold out my hand and introduce them to the Goddess. (No I don't throw it at them.) Boy, that makes them mad. ;)   As a Pagan it is a duty to have a set of quick remarks for them.

Everbody should have a few ready, wity ones obviously.

#8    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

I *try* not to be too much of a smart ass. I want them to know I respect their beliefs, though I doubt it will ever be reciprocal.

Thanks for the advice! I know there is no easy out with this one.

#9    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

Laugh them off and tell them you'll put in a good word with the Goddess for them.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#10    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,738 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Best way to deal with them is not to discuss the issue at all because those who would ridicule you for your beliefs are not looking to learn anything at all nor are they willing to just leave well enough alone.

They want a confrontation so they can prove to you how right they think they are and how wrong you are for refusing to buckle down and believe as they do and on command preferably.

Best thing to do is just say absolutely nothing or give an answer that has nothing to do with what they just said. You can say something like "Yeah, you're right. I think they did say it will rain heavy tonight."

Silence speaks more volumes than you realize. In short don't lower yourself to their level. Sure they're annoying and you wanna kick them clear into next tuesday but be better than them.

#11    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

It can be difficult Ryu, especially if you have to have contact with them on a daily basis.  Holding the moral high ground is wonderful, but it can be wearying to fend off animosity and ridicule on a daily basis.  I know, from experience.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#12    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,588 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostLibGeek, on 11 August 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

I *try* not to be too much of a smart ass. I want them to know I respect their beliefs, though I doubt it will ever be reciprocal.

Thanks for the advice! I know there is no easy out with this one.

What's faith if its not tested, right?

#13    LibGeek

LibGeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

View PostDecoNoir, on 12 August 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

What's faith if its not tested, right?

They test my patience more than my faith. :)
They're group bullying tactics are what bother me the most. Not one of them approach me independently.

#14    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,588 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostLibGeek, on 12 August 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

They test my patience more than my faith. :)
They're group bullying tactics are what bother me the most. Not one of them approach me independently.

Well I didn't strictly  mean faith of personal belief. An attempt at a poetic sounding piece of advice, and I have failed, and must now weep silently in a corner. :)

#15    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,738 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostJMPD1, on 12 August 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

It can be difficult Ryu, especially if you have to have contact with them on a daily basis.  Holding the moral high ground is wonderful, but it can be wearying to fend off animosity and ridicule on a daily basis.  I know, from experience.

True. Because I am temporarily living with my parents, it is hard for my father to accept that I have no interest in his religion (Lutheranism). He is convinced his new-found religion is the "real" thing and tries to make me feel as if I am stupid for not joining in his system.

So yeah..I agree, it IS hard especially when it comes from your parents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users