Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Can Hindus eat test-tube beef ?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,724 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

In Hinduism the consumption of beef is considered taboo, but what about meat that's grown in a lab ?

Raw Story said:

When the world’s first test-tube beef burger was cooked and eaten this week, food critics all asked about its taste. For many Jews, Muslims and Hindus, the first question was whether their faith allowed them to try it.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

If it is test tube grown, how do you decide if it is beef, pork, or unicorn anyway?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#3    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

It is made of cow muscle cells, so clearly still cow.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,483 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

Interesting question and I'd agree with Aggie.

I firmly believe though that if you're starving you'll eat anything and your God will forgive you.  If you have one.  And they are into forgiveness.  On second thoughts, best letting yourself starve to death. (lol)

#5    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostAggie, on 12 August 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

It is made of cow muscle cells, so clearly still cow.

Is a cow muscle cell a cow? Leave it to some imaginary teapot orbiting Mars to decide that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#6    Timmeh

Timmeh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Is a beef burger patty a cow or is it a cluster of cow muscle cells?

#7    EtherialNight

EtherialNight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Still has cow in it, derived from cow stem cells.

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostEtherialNight, on 12 August 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Still has cow in it, derived from cow stem cells.

If you want to go down this road, you can claim that it is everything in it, since all life on earth is genetically related.
Fact is, no cow had to die specifically to make the test tube burger.

Now, what the religious nuts make of that is their problem.

Personally, I think we really should stop "respecting" superstition aka religion without a good reason. This stupid deference to "religion" will do us all in, in particular because not all religions are as harmless as hinduism.

#9    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,273 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

My guess is that most Hindu's will follow tradition/custom and refrain from test tube meat. However, the implication of meat that did not suffer could actually work the other way - since even plants suffer when you kill them, maybe test tube food is the ideal option. Some might go that way, but as said I feel tradition will be respected.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#10    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 12 August 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

My guess is that most Hindu's will follow tradition/custom and refrain from test tube meat.

There is no "tradition/custom" regarding test tube meat. Although the religionists will probably make one up...

#11    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,273 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 12 August 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

There is no "tradition/custom" regarding test tube meat. Although the religionists will probably make one up...
:huh: But there is tradition/custom about normal meat from living animals. This tradition/custom will likely extend to test tube meat also, and that was the point I was making. I thought I was clear, I apologise for not being clear enough.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#12    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Psychic Spy

• 1,043 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

My first thought was "yes they can, because no life was taken", but then I thought about the argument that goes on concerning human babies about when life begins, so maybe it will come down to the same sort of discussion. My guess is that many Hindus won't go for this, but it may have more to do with the weirdness of test tube meat than religious tradition. Hell I ate a hamburger yesterday and I don't think I'd go for beef I knew came from a test tube. I'm also eating less and less meat in general as time goes on though. I'm not a fan of genetically modified food of any kind.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#13    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

The cells used to create the test tube beef came from an animal.  Those who don't consume animal flesh are not going to go for anything that originally came from an animal source.

#14    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 12 August 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Is a cow muscle cell a cow? Leave it to some imaginary teapot orbiting Mars to decide that.

The original cells were taken from two cows, so YES, they are cow.
The original muscle cells were grown in a lab (by soaking them in a nutrients solution), but they are still part of the cows they selected.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#15    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

If its categorize as a cow meat its a cow meat.Its simple...I don't see any problem, its not like they can only make cow meat LOL

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users