Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Is the Human Race Insane?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

Are we as a race insane? As a follower of history I have seen a striking pattern emerge namely "we as a race keep doing the same stupid stuff and expect a different result!"

Any history teacher will tell you empires go through certain cycles that lead to their downfall and they all go through the EXACT same cycles.

If you do a side-by-side comparison of the roman empire during it's decline say 200 AD to 400 AD and USA right now you would scratch you head a  wonder the same thing.

So again are we Insane or just stupid and can't learn from history?

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#2    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yes I must say the human race IS insane.. they all dress and have the same hair cut..
and think the same... they should all think freely.. and openly without limitations.

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

#3    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,471 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yes.
I mean, no!
Wait! I mean maybe! Or no? Yes!

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#4    WHO U KIDDIN

WHO U KIDDIN

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

• To deny another man's humanity is to deny your own.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

Borrowing from AT and Ron White, YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

#5    rose quatz

rose quatz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• "If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

I have to say that to be fare you shouldnt generalize, and say that its just the usa that cant learn from history, I would say that goes for most of the western world. And that your theory of every empire having a cycle is interesting. I personally think that its like the natural order of things, and that sometimes you have to distroy one thing to make another. Eventually everything stagnates, and is replaced by something else. But to ask if we are insane for repeating the process over and over again, I dont think so, I think its our human nature to get bored and want to change things or fix things.

#6    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Could be.
Isn't insane doing the same thing over and over again, and getting the same result but expecting different results?
Than yes. If I've learned anything, it is that almost everybody you meet will say they hated history class, they hated social studies, whatever. Personally, I love history and social studies. And maybe if you knew the past, you could so easily predict the future. And MAYBE if the leaders knew what happened then, they could change things now so history never needed to repeat.
That's what they say, isn't it? That history repeats itself.

Sadly though, us who have studied the past aren't usually in those positions of power, so we're doomed to sit and watch the human race make the same mistakes over again.

Edited by Nighthawk9653, 13 August 2013 - 12:05 AM.

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#7    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

I say YES the human race is insane, hell most of my family members are insane. They constantly do the same thing and wonder why the results are always the damn same

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,984 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

The human race is the only standard for sanity we have, and insanity is behavior  that significantly deviates from the norm for pathological reasons.  Therefore the human race, by definition, is not insane.  I would allow "crazy" though.

#9    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,444 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 12 August 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

Are we as a race insane? As a follower of history I have seen a striking pattern emerge namely "we as a race keep doing the same stupid stuff and expect a different result!"

The Insanity IMO comes from the authorities, not the human race it's self..

The only insane thing about the rest of us is this mad assumption that the authorities in power have power, the reality is we give it them.

#10    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 13 August 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

The only insane thing about the rest of us is this mad assumption that the authorities in power have power, the reality is we give it them.
Well said

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#11    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,390 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:57 AM

Terrorists bought down the Roman government, but don `nt worry we still have our guns:)

#12    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,911 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

Frank Merton said:

The human race is the only standard for sanity we have, and insanity is behavior  that significantly deviates from the norm for pathological reasons.  Therefore the human race, by definition, is not insane.  I would allow "crazy" though.

For argument's sake, Frank, I would say human behavior that deviates from the norm is sanity. Therefore the human race, by definition, is insane.

I actually believe this from all the empirical evidence I have gathered over a long lifetime. Since the realization of this fact doesn't seem a cure for our mutual insanity, the human race may be doomed to continue its collective psychosis.  Also, since psychiatrists consider the norm as sanity, as you infer they do, our psychiatrists are doubly insane, as even these experts on mental health cannot recognize insanity when they see it, even in themselves.

This is a bad situation for us to be in, as not only are the inmates in charge of the asylum, the doctors are inmates as well.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#13    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

From Men in Black but I think its true.

Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.
Kay:  A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,437 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 13 August 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

So we must be insane for giving them power.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    born2run

born2run

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

• "I am afeared there are few die well that die in battle".
    King Henry V,Act IV. Scene i.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Work as a "mental health practioner" for say 10 yrs., and then ask yourself the same question and I'll bet you dollars to donuts, you'll have a totally different answer almost every day you are involvd with "psych. patients", either hospital or community based treatment.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. :no:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users