Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Comparing Atlantis

• Please log in to reply
1005 replies to this topic

#31    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,416 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Nembus, on 14 August 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Crackpot? lol

Is that how you dismiss everything of no value to back up your own opinion? :)

I remember one time one gave me the argument that Plato was 'high' and that he invented that story through 'tripping' :). The guy was also a historian. I expected a better argument than that. From both you and him :).

I'm not sure they owe you an arguement at all.   There is not any evidence of Atlantis being real.   The burdon of proof is on the believers.

#32    Nembus

Nembus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Myles, on 14 August 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'm not sure they owe you an arguement at all.   There is not any evidence of Atlantis being real.   The burdon of proof is on the believers.

Antarctica has all the evidence it needs. I don't owe anyone an argument why either. Wanna disprove? Go ahead, but one should not expect solid, scientific arguments if they can't provide any in return. There is nothing solid or scientific by calling people junkies or charlatans.

#33    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,649 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Mario Dantas, on 14 August 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

Hello,

It seems i just can't shut up when it comes to Atlantis

Regards,
Mario Dantas

I have that problem too Mario. :tu:

Edited by The Puzzler, 14 August 2013 - 03:13 PM.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#34    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,416 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Nembus, on 14 August 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Antarctica has all the evidence it needs. I don't owe anyone an argument why either. Wanna disprove? Go ahead, but one should not expect solid, scientific arguments if they can't provide any in return. There is nothing solid or scientific by calling people junkies or charlatans.

Antarctica is evidence of Atlantis?  
You cannot provide solid scientific evidence to disprove something that never existed.

#35    Nembus

Nembus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Myles, on 14 August 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Antarctica is evidence of Atlantis?  
You cannot provide solid scientific evidence to disprove something that never existed.

Antarctica doesn't exist?

#36    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Nembus, on 14 August 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Crackpot? lol

Is that how you dismiss everything of no value to back up your own opinion? :)

I remember one time one gave me the argument that Plato was 'high' and that he invented that story through 'tripping' :). The guy was also a historian. I expected a better argument than that. From both you and him :).

Nope, that's how I dismiss BS pretending it's relevant to a discussion of Plato's Atlantis, which is the only version of the tale with any merit since it is the original. Anything less is just a reinterpretation of the story in order to rationalize it into existance, so therefore meaningless. That you wish to portray your fiction as some version of the truth says more about you than it does about any claim to Atlantis' existance.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#37    Nembus

Nembus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

cormac mac airt, on 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Nope, that's how I dismiss BS pretending it's relevant to a discussion of Plato's Atlantis, which is the only version of the tale with any merit since it is the original.
cormac

... But its not the original ...

#38    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Nembus, on 14 August 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

... But its not the original ...

And your evidence for the tale of Atlantis by name, specifically predating Plato's tale, would be what?

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#39    Nembus

Nembus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

cormac mac airt, on 14 August 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

And your evidence for the tale of Atlantis by name, specifically predating Plato's tale, would be what?

cormac

Why does it have to have the same name?

#40    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Nembus, on 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Why does it have to have the same name?

Why are you evading the question? Do you have any evidence of a place, as located by Plato and of the correct timeframe, that could even remotely be misconstrued as Atlantis? Because the location as well as the timeframe is just as important as the name. If not, then it's a moot point.

cormac

#41    Nembus

Nembus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

cormac mac airt, on 14 August 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Why are you evading the question? Do you have any evidence of a place, as located by Plato and of the correct timeframe, that could even remotely be misconstrued as Atlantis? Because the location as well as the timeframe is just as important as the name. If not, then it's a moot point.

cormac

Auritea

#42    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Nembus, on 14 August 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Auritea

In other words, no evidence. Ok, thanks.

cormac

#43    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,416 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Nembus, on 14 August 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Antarctica doesn't exist?
What are you trying to say.   I'm confused.
When asked for evidence that Atlantis was real, you responded with "Antarctica has all the evidence it needs".    Can you explain what that means?

#44    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,848 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

cormac mac airt, on 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Nope, that's how I dismiss BS pretending it's relevant to a discussion of Plato's Atlantis, which is the only version of the tale with any merit since it is the original. Anything less is just a reinterpretation of the story in order to rationalize it into existance, so therefore meaningless. That you wish to portray your fiction as some version of the truth says more about you than it does about any claim to Atlantis' existance.

cormac

Not to name names, but there are people who will ransack language (in the most vulgar fashion) to try to "prove" their point: they think anything with the letters Atl refer specifically to Atlantis, and that any mention of those letters is a specific reference to Plato's city. This almost always blatantly ignores that 'Atlantic', and all the various Greek forms of it, refer to Atlas, Posiedon and their descendants.

All too often the kind of people who hear and repeat that (if not expanding on it) are not people who speak Greek and don't have the linguistic chops to justify their assertions.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#45    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,416 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Myles, on 14 August 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

What are you trying to say.   I'm confused.
When asked for evidence that Atlantis was real, you responded with "Antarctica has all the evidence it needs". Can you explain what that means?
I heard Atlantis had a baseball team.  I've even seen a hat with ATL Braves on it.   I assume it is in reference to how brave the residents of Atlantis were.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users