Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Paypal founder unveils 760mph 'Hyperloop'

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,957 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Entrepreneur Elon Musk has revealed his concept for a futuristic super-sonic transportation system.

BBC News said:

US-based entrepreneur Elon Musk has unveiled his proposed near-supersonic "Hyperloop" transport concept to link Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,293 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostSaru, on 14 August 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Entrepreneur Elon Musk has revealed his concept for a futuristic super-sonic transportation system.

I like this.

(I've used up my quota of 'likes' for the day)

#3    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

The concept has been around a long time.  It would be cool if they ever actually built it.

#4    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

If they build it, you folks can try it and let me know how it feels to be in those pneumatic tube thingies.  I'm too claustrophobic to even think about it for long; it's terrifying.

#5    Joe2112

Joe2112

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hate to think if someone farted in there. :no:

Mmmmmmm....forbidden donut.

#6    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

I am too claustrophobic for that. And I don´t really think we need more energy-intensive technofixes only to shuffle people around even faster than we do already.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#7    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Gene Roddenberry used this concept in the 1960's

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,967 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

I think it's high time there were some alternative to flying since trains aren't really an option with the cargo train companies controlling all of the lines. The cost of flying just keeps going up and up and up.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    mischamoonlight

mischamoonlight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

This reminds me of the tube system in Futurama.

#10    Troublehalf

Troublehalf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

The problem is this.

Health and Safety.

If you tried to get the automobile done, assuming it didn't exist, it wouldn't be allowed. =Hey, we want to invent a metal box that can travel fast and stuff". Furthermore, look at Concord, it was an amazing engineering feat, yet after a few accidents, it was removed. Even though Concord was statistically safer than normal aircraft. So, I would assume this Hyperloop would be the same.

So, who knows. Can it transport freight? If it could....

#11    nothinglizx2

nothinglizx2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

So more digging inside of the earth then right, do you people even think that the top earth can withstand another huge pipe in the ground.  Look at all the oil drilling holes for the last hundred or so years, subway systems, sewer systems, underground secret buildings and labs.  Sure it could be done, but should it?  We need to think of the earth as whole now and in the future.  There is awesome advanced technology that has already been created that can be used in a proper safe and secure manner that will be better for transportation and it needs to be forced on to the world stage because those who have it's patents are letting the world go to crap so they can make a profit rather than do things for the prosperity of the world.  There is money to be had in the diapers of the new born, the rebelliousness of teenagers, the foolishness and ignorance of uninterested adults, and the dead bound for the graves.

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,595 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Is it just me or does doing this in an earthquake prone area seem like a bad idea?

#13    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• 1,718 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

View Postmischamoonlight, on 14 August 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

This reminds me of the tube system in Futurama.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

#14    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,196 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hey ! you only live once ! I say go for it ! Nobody makes you get into it ! And If th eGround cracks ,Well ! It was nice knowing you ! But What a rush other wise !

#15    BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

This concept is from the mid 60's LOL. Connecting NY with LA in under 20 minutes. Of course the expected speed was a little faster.

The concept was a pneumatic tube with large towers that resembled nuclear cooling towers. LOL

I believe it was 1966 that it was in Popular Science Magazine, but I could be wrong on the year.

Yeah Califormnothing can't even get a high speed train line built or pay it's bills. Bahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahaha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users