Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Egypt declares national emergency

mohammed morsi national emergency egypt cairo

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,134 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have a close friend living in Alexandria right now. She's an American Expat of no religion. She's flat scared at this point and coming from her, that worries me. She's a TOUGH nut that's been through a lot and she's a rational, smart and capable woman. She's not leaving her house, her fiancee being an Egyptian and non-practicing coptic christian is also very afraid to leave their home. Currenty they've taken in a family of four who were attacked unprovoked and beaten by the Muslim Brotherhood. A mother, father and twin infants.

My friend is so level headed.... if she says it's bad... that probably means its worse than she's saying being she doesn't want to upset her friends and family back in the states.

I just hope they get things under control soon.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 15 August 2013 - 06:59 PM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#17    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 15 August 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I have a close friend living in Alexandria right now. She's an American Expat of no religion. She's flat scared at this point and coming from her, that worries me. She's a TOUGH nut that's been through a lot and she's a rational, smart and capable woman. She's not leaving her house, her fiancee being an Egyptian and non-practicing coptic christian is also very afraid to leave their home. Currenty they've taken in a family of four who were attacked and beaten by the Muslim Brotherhood.

My friend is so level headed.... if she says it's bad... that probably means its worse than she's saying being she doesn't want to upset her friends and family back in the states.

I just hope they get things under control soon.

My mom flatly refused that I go visit them any time in the near future! When I go, I will go alone, my daughter will definitely not accompany me.

#18    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,824 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 15 August 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

No, I do not condemn the military, and reversing the Muslim Brotherhood takeover is certainly not a "genocide".
That is a ridiculous use of the term.

What you (and your government by the way) do not get is that in islamic countries like Egypt and Turkey, the military acts as a last-ditch defense of secularism. Remove that, and the islamists will vote themselves to power, and the country to radical Shariah rule. You really want to see Egypt turn into one gigantic Gazah strip?

(And in that case, you would of course have your "genocide", namely that of the Egyptian Copts. The Muslim Brothers are already burning down Coptic churches as we speak.)
I seem to remmeber Christians burning down Mosques and Coptic churches

#19    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,672 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 15 August 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

That's because religion does crazy things to people..

Or, rather, people do crazy things because of religion..

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#20    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,208 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Where, when, link and sources please.

Today, since I wrote post #12 four more churches were burnt in Kerdassa, Kafr Hakim, Ezbet al Nakhel, and Al Mansouriyya. In Minya a 5th century ancient monastery is being demolished; yet you "seem to remember" incidents that NEVER took place! May be the reason why you're having difficulty remembering Copts burning mosques and churches is because it has no base in reality. May be you should do some research before you start vilifying the wronged party with fantastical accusations.

http://www.foxnews.c...ood-for-second/

#21    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,170 posts

• ראה

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

We found out today on CNN something that shouldn't surprise any of U.S.

Apparently this 1.5 billion in "aid" that we've been giving yearly to the Egyptian military, amounts to arms supplied by U.S. contractors.

Somehow, they just don't get the danger this puts U.S. in. What does Egypt need with that many deadly toys?

Here are two curious forecasts, regarding the consequences I see for this practice. I'm focusing on the part that arguably points to Egyptian references.

The sun rising in the East, also points to a possible connection to Egyptian myth.

There are some hidden truths here, which I don't want to contemplate. Key phrases ... "shall your tree catch fire," .... and "sets on the West."

These point to natural phenomena.

Dec 21st, 2006 8:32 PM

So what's the good news?  You've already heard it.  You've heard the story a thousand times, and yet you still believe that it's Ok to be merchants of death, while at the same time worshipping the author of Life every SUNday.  Why don't you just call it Horus-day, it's the truth.  Why don't you just ship copies of the baby Jesus in all those cartons and trailers full of guns and weapons of violence?  Better yet, put gunpowder inside baby Jesus and ship that out, but give 'em a discount, in case your bloodthirsty customers are disappointed.

You have no light, only darkness, because you manufacture and sell darkness while pretending to be emissaries of the Light.  Therefore, shall your tree catch fire, and you shall be reduced to ashes on the ground in the sight of your enemies ...  

View PostRaptor Witness, on 04 December 2006 - 07:02 AM, said:

... there is only one action that the United States can take to regain the moral high ground on earth, and have immediate results.

Immediately but quietly suspend all weapon sales from our soil, abroad.  Forget the influence it gives you. Find something else to sell the world to replace the weapons of violence.  Take a financial hit on this, even if it costs you thousands of jobs.  You will be repaid later, handsomely.  If you do this, God will return to your side and fight with and for you.  If you fail to do this, He will destroy you as surely as the sun rises in the East and sets on the West.  It's your choice.  If you make the correct one, it won't matter if the rest of the world goes to Hell.

"Since the end of the Cold War, the United States has dominated the global arms market, in terms of the value of arms transfer agreements and in arms deliveries." [Air Force Magazine]

Edited by Raptor Witness, 16 August 2013 - 07:24 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#22    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,838 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

View Postmeryt-tetisheri, on 15 August 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Raptor, your prophecy is really scary! I cannot claim that I fully understood it, especially the part of 'turning left' and the new dictator. However, I think a full-fledged civil war is unlikely. The MB are a highly organized armed terrorist group, but they and their supporters are still a minority. Egyptians had/have no options but to try to forge ahead and try to build a democracy based on freedom, equality and social justice. What is likely to happen is a prolonged terror campaign similar to the 1990s in which 2000 people died, but this time the majority of people are more aware and involved, while the MB has totally discredited itself and has lost a lot of support.

As for the US aid, it can not be used to force on the people a regime they do not accept.
I'm not sure but I think Raptor is referring to Isaiah 19:

And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom.
3 And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.
4 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the Lord of hosts.
5 And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.
6 And they shall turn the rivers far away; and the brooks of defence shall be emptied and dried up: the reeds and flags shall wither.

It continues for a few more verses but the reference to be ruled over by a "cruel king" has adherents in a couple of directions.  I have always thought this prophecy is about the time when antichrist rules the world.  Since there is no indication of any such thing just yet, I don't think this spasm of violence is THAT prophecy being fulfilled yet.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#23    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,824 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

like this one?
http://en.wikipedia....olution_of_1919

#24    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

In Egypt?? When? Do you have a link for that, or did you pull that out of thin air?

Fwiw, there is only a tiny handful of Christians in Egypt, and their lifes are precarious to say the least. Any Christian burning down a mosque would have a half-life of about zero.

What nonsense.

Edited by Zaphod222, 16 August 2013 - 09:22 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#25    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,134 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

I just chatted with my friend... she says Al Jazeera is now scrambled in Alexandria although her internet connection remains stable so far. She's hoping this is a sign that the military is getting serious and finally moving in to stop insanity. It's been a rough few days and she's going stir crazy holed up in her tiny flat with 4 adults, two infants and a cat who goes nuts every time it hears gunfire. She's not looking forward to tomorrow when one of them will need to go out and try to find supplies and food.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#26    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,208 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 August 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Honestly, did you read the article you linked? This was the flag of the 1919 revolution. Its leaders were Copts and Muslims, actually a priest gave a sermon from Al Azhar's pulpit. Whatever fanciful claims you are making, the article you linked disproved them. A word of advise, read any article before you link it!
Posted Image

#27    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,208 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 16 August 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

I just chatted with my friend... she says Al Jazeera is now scrambled in Alexandria although her internet connection remains stable so far. She's hoping this is a sign that the military is getting serious and finally moving in to stop insanity. It's been a rough few days and she's going stir crazy holed up in her tiny flat with 4 adults, two infants and a cat who goes nuts every time it hears gunfire. She's not looking forward to tomorrow when one of them will need to go out and try to find supplies and food.

Al Jazeera is notorious for giving biased, not so truthful coverage. They even used clips covering the anti-Mursi demonstrations and broadcast them as anti-Sisi demonstrations! The internet should not be affected, I contact my family on Skype every day.
Please warn your friend not to go shopping tomorrow, let her Egyptian partner do it. He can walk unnoticed in the street.
I think the army is serious this time, the current state of affairs cannot continue for long.

#28    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,824 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

I read somewhere the Muslim Brotherhood is planning mass terrorist attacks around the country?

#29    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,090 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Glad I visited when I had a chance in 2007.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#30    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,208 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 August 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I read somewhere the Muslim Brotherhood is planning mass terrorist attacks around the country?

I too heard the same. There were threats of attacking police stations, ministries and governmental buildings, and of course more churches.

Today three more churches were burnt to the ground in Minya (Anglican, Catholic, and Orthodox) as well as a Christian school. A monestary was attacked in Maassara and Copts were killed; and the parish building in Tanta was also attacked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users