Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

No petting, no diving, no breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

• Stephanie Wilby was feeding four-month-old Leo in the toddler pool
  • Claims staff at Manchester Aquatics Centre branded it 'indecent exposure'
  • 22-year-old says staff made a scene 'shouting' at her to stop
  • 'I should be allowed to breastfeed where I want' says mother-of-two
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

I agree that she should be able to do it wherever she wants, but what a bizarre place to want to do it. :unsure2:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,168 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

'I should be allowed to breastfeed where I want' says mother-of-two

Too many women mothers think this way

Edited by Rlyeh, 14 August 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,587 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've got mixed feeling about this one. While a mother breastfeeding her baby is a natural thing to do, there is a time and place for everything and while standing in the middle of a swimming pool I don't consider that a suitable place, she should have at least got out of the pool and gone somewhere a bit quieter. That said there was no need for the lifeguard to make such a fuss about it.

Posted Image

#5    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

• 'I should be allowed to breastfeed where I want' says mother-of-two

I completely disagree. And i still don't understand where this attitude comes from? Maybe an overload of hormones make some early mothers exhibitionists or something.

Peeing is also a very natural thing, but you can't do it anywhere you damn well please. Have some respect yanno.

#6    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,554 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Are other people allowed to eat in the pool?

I highly doubt it.  They're not going to let some kid with a sandwich and a handful of chips hang out in the pool either.

Then the baby can't eat in the pool either.

Absolutely nothing wrong with breastfeeding, but there is something wrong with feeling entitled to everything your way all the time, and not having any ability to compromise for the sake of others comfort.

Embrace the impossible.

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Why do you consider this exhibitionism?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 14 August 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

'I should be allowed to breastfeed where I want' says mother-of-two

Too many women mothers think this way

And there's also a lot of men fathers who completely agree with them.

'They made a real scene. They were saying me breastfeeding was indecent exposure.
'But I was covered more than most of the other swimmers.
'One staff member also said he would stop a man urinating in the pool and that is why they did not want me breastfeeding in the water.

So the intial offence was indecent exposure...then bodily fluids? :rolleyes:
Anyone who thinks breastfeeding is anything like urinating has a lot to learn. The same goes for anyone who thinks it is the same as eating a bag of chips in the pool.  Staff should have handled the situation a lot better.

#9    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

When my daughter was an infant, I would go into a public restroom to do that.  Not the most sanitary place, but it was private.  No reason to just flop it out in the middle of everyone.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#10    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

It is the most natural thing in the world, but I was never able to do it in public like this cause I try to respect people and I never wanted to make anybody uncomfortable with my nude breasts.
I would also go to the restroom or find a corner somewhere, usually not facing people and I would cover as much as possible: my babies would get fed and nobody had to see parts of me i didn't want to show! lol

But the lifeguard shouldn't have made such a scene.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#11    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,554 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

The same goes for anyone who thinks it is the same as eating a bag of chips in the pool.

I  knew someone would say something like this.

Rules don't usually get made to say things like this: "No eating anything that could potentially drop into the pool creating an unsanitary situation and clogging the drain. This does not apply to people under 2 years of age." ... or whatever.

Rules are usually like "No eating in the pool."

Now, I have no way of knowing what the particular rules of the pool are, and I do agree that no scene should have been made, and the comparison to peeing in a pool is ludicrous.  But...

I try to respect people and I never wanted to make anybody uncomfortable.

This.

If this woman, or anyone else, believes that they should never be inconvenienced one tiny jot (like having to walk a few steps away from the pool to a semi-private corner or such), they live in a dream world in which they are queen or king. Why should ego trump consideration so much?

Embrace the impossible.

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,771 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

I'm usually with the mothers on this one, but in this case, no.

No eating in the pool.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostPurplos, on 14 August 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

If this woman, or anyone else, believes that they should never be inconvenienced one tiny jot (like having to walk a few steps away from the pool to a semi-private corner or such), they live in a dream world in which they are queen or king. Why should ego trump consideration so much?

Mrs Wilby, who is on maternity leave from her job in customer services at British Gas, said: 'If they did not like it they could have asked me quietly to stop.
'I would have still questioned their reasons but it would not have been as inappropriate.

And she allegedly did ask if she could feed at the side of the pool and was told to go into the change room or restrooms.

I'm sure that there probably is one, but the article makes no mention of a no eating in the pool policy. (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I missed it)

The complaints were directed at the fact that she was "exposed".

Would I ever breastfeed in a pool? Nope, I'm a private person and feeding anywhere in public - especially in a public pool wouldn't be for me, for a number of reasons.  Being directed to a feed in a restroom is even more offensive in my opinion though. Would an adult eat in there in preference to the risk of offending someone? Not likely.

I have seen women breastfeed in pools, and at the side of the pool (just last week actually).  Usually it's discreet and you could never tell unless you are staring at them.  And even then, there's not a whole lot to see, so I just don't get why people are so disgusted by it in that aspect. It's not like they're swimming around topless...

Edited by sarah_444, 14 August 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#14    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,899 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

If simply moving to a relatively private is at all practical, that should be legally required.  If your baby is hungry and you can't or have no way to do so, then sure, you can feed it in public.

#15    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,041 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

The lifeguard should have been discreet and respectful. Too bad the mother wasn't either. But two wrongs don't make a right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users