Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Erroneous scientific studies: Religious peopl

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    PetriFB

PetriFB

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Erroneous scientific studies: Religious people are less intelligent than atheists

In America Rochester's university has been made scientific studies and analysis led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, which claims that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Review published a summary for this scientific study. When I researched this study, so on my mind arose many thoughts that prove this scientific study as the provocation of atheism in which they show their contempt to the certain group of the people. On my writing, I also bring out some thoughts about the article of Knoxnews.

The whole article is in my site: http://www.kotipetri...ndatheists.html

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ridiculous, all my christian friends are alot smarter than my non Christian friends. altho the best schools in my area are christian ones and theres so many atheists who pretend to be believers in church for a few weeks so they can enroll. i only started to enjoy learning when i became a christian, and have read 6 times the amount of books that i read through out my life in the four short years of being a christian. One of my friends is training to be an aerospace engineer, another is at university doing maths that goes over my head. another is training to be a teacher, another is a biology teacher, the list goes on.............
thats just career wise, hobbies include learning classical greek ( koine), other foreign languages, music theory at level four and above.

Edited by Armchair Educated, 14 August 2013 - 05:42 PM.

`And be true to every promise - for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made.
al-isra 17:34

#3    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

A spurious and inflammatory piece of pseudo-journalism.

A belief in a deity is not a sign of lack of, nor of a surplus of, intelligence.  Faith in a religion is for the comfort and sense of security for the believer.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#4    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

• Divine Abyss

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

I know through my own experience, that some religions are more scientific then others. I generally see Christian to be one of the least scientific; mainly because in its mainstream form it has lost its original esoteric form. The more ancient a faith system is, the more that faith system makes the most sense.  More ancient faiths go pretty well with science  EVEN when proving Gods existence.

#5    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Ridiculous, all my christian friends are alot smarter than my non Christian friends. altho the best schools in my area are christian ones and theres so many atheists who pretend to be believers in church for a few weeks so they can enroll. i only started to enjoy learning when i became a christian, and have read 6 times the amount of books that i read through out my life in the four short years of being a christian. One of my friends is training to be an aerospace engineer, another is at university doing maths that goes over my head. another is training to be a teacher, another is a biology teacher, the list goes on.............
thats just career wise, hobbies include learning classical greek ( koine), other foreign languages, music theory at level four and above.
Just as I try to warn my atheist friends, I'd also try to caution you, personal experience can not be generalised out to an entire population. Numerous studies have shown that atheists score higher in intelligence on average. This is just the latest one, and we see the religious trying to counter this with a variety of hand waving.
Now, in my opinion this has more to do with numbers. There are far more religious people than atheists, and therefore you have a smaller sample sized compared to the religious.
Take into account that unlike the general population, scientists and intellectuals are more likely to be non-religious (or non-conventionally religious, in the sense their religious beliefs, no matter what label they claim, do not match the general dogma among the lay members or of it's church.

Looking at the smaller sample size and the higher proportion of intellectuals, when in comparison to the public, it's not a suprise that atheists tend to have higher intelligence than religious people.

Now, we can argue about personal experiences, and if you want I can provide far more personal experience with highly educated atheists, and poorly educated theists, but I can also point to very stupid atheists and intelligent theists. (Admittedly my bias is far more to one than the other.)
And with this we have to remember again, Christians make up something like 73% of the overall population of the US, while atheists generally bounce around 1-3%, depending on how the numbers are represented. The actual population is probably higher, but gets confused depending on how they exactly identify.

So simply due to numbers, you are going to encounter more theists than atheists in any particular field of study up to a certain level of education, where the numbers sharply decline on the religious side and increase on the atheist side.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#6    Al Salooq

Al Salooq

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

I dont think they are less intelligent, just less well informed

.                                                                              Posted Image

#7    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostPetriFB, on 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Erroneous scientific studies: Religious people are less intelligent than atheists

In America Rochester's university has been made scientific studies and analysis led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, which claims that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Review published a summary for this scientific study. When I researched this study, so on my mind arose many thoughts that prove this scientific study as the provocation of atheism in which they show their contempt to the certain group of the people. On my writing, I also bring out some thoughts about the article of Knoxnews.

The whole article is in my site: http://www.kotipetri...ndatheists.html

Without even reading the article, I know already that it is a waste of time. To try to construct a correlation between intelligence and religionism is absurd, for too many reasons to list here.

More waste of research grants.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#8    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 23 August 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

More waste of research grants.
I don't have access to the paper itself, but seeing as it's a meta-analysis of studies already conducted (which all came to the same conclusion, it should be noted), this was probably the work of the researches themselves and not needing grant money.

Speaking of personal experiences, everytime I've seen someone complain about grant money on this forum it's concerning studies that were privately funded.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 1,946 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

What's the point of this study anyway? What higher purpose of humanity does it serve? It seems to me that this sort of thing is merely to start fires, trolling in its highest form.

Seriously we can't get along if we keep poking each other. When the hell will people get it?

Edited by DecoNoir, 23 August 2013 - 06:17 AM.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#10    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostDecoNoir, on 23 August 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

What's the point of this study anyway? What higher purpose of humanity does it serve? It seems to me that this sort of thing is merely to start fires, trolling in its highest form.

Seriously we can't get along if we keep poking each other. When the hell will people get it?
what factors encourage belief, how cna one's intelligence shape their world view, how does the brain work, how do different people tick. Which fits under thenjournal they were published in.
  Just from my own understandings of the findings, I don't think the conclusiin should be theist tend to be stupid, but rather that atheist tend to be inteligent.
By which I mean atheists are a subset of one category, whereas religious people make up up the general population.

Also, it is one am and I am still at work, so if my post rambles, take that as a reason.

-Terry Pratchett

#11    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 1,946 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 23 August 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

what factors encourage belief, how cna one's intelligence shape their world view, how does the brain work, how do different people tick. Which fits under thenjournal they were published in.
  Just from my own understandings of the findings, I don't think the conclusiin should be theist tend to be stupid, but rather that atheist tend to be inteligent.
By which I mean atheists are a subset of one category, whereas religious people make up up the general population.

Also, it is one am and I am still at work, so if my post rambles, take that as a reason.

Don't worry about it. Your worst rambles tend to be better than my best statements.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#12    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostDecoNoir, on 23 August 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

Don't worry about it. Your worst rambles tend to be better than my best statements.
Doubtful, I have a habit of going into comic book rants.
Really, if you want to tick people off I'd point to the studies showing that countries with hifgher religiousity have a higher degree of violence and other social ills.
Theists tend to cite American studies that show atheists have lower mental health rates than theists, the problem there being that atheists are a distrusted minority in the US and have less access to community and support structures that are provided by religious communities. But this is limited to the US, similar studies where atheism is simply accepted and doesn't run the risk of social isolation that problem disappears.

-Terry Pratchett

#13    MonkeyLove

MonkeyLove

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Unfortunately, there are different types of intelligence, such that what works in one setting (such as an urban environment) will not be advantageous in another (such as a wilderness area).

#14    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostMonkeyLove, on 23 August 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

Unfortunately, there are different types of intelligence, such that what works in one setting (such as an urban environment) will not be advantageous in another (such as a wilderness area).
The weren't looking at things like urban versus wilderness, but things like analytical and logical thought. Which you'd want in most scenarios. Being able to figure out where the deer went by analuzing it's spoor requires similar thinking skills as deduxing the decay rate of a particle.

-Terry Pratchett

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,180 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

I did not ready the specifics of the study, but haveing a larger sample size of one group statistically will drift the average scores to the center of a bell curve, while the other especially atheists will have larger proportion of higher education. I don't need a study to say that on average atheists will score higher on intelligence tests. Most atheists come to atheism through education.

Religionists and atheists should note that this does not mean there are more intelligent atheists than religionists. The bulk of of religionists merely pull the curve back to an average. Even a random sampling of the same number of participants in each group would still result in a greater likely hood of pulling from the center of the curve of the larger group. Now with that said most people come to atheism by questioning things.. I have no problem with seeing the curve leaning forward on the atheist side.

I would like a study comparinging those who consider themselves spiritual but not religious with atheist. That would be interesting. Most people that are very solid in their spiritual but none religious beliefs went through an atheism phase.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users