Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

People Worship Weeping Tree In California,

fresno weeping tree gods tears crape myrtle tree insect excrement

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,358 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

A growing number of Catholics in Fresno, California believe that a tree outside St. John’s Cathedral is weeping God’s tears.

“When you say ‘glory be to God in Jesus’ name’ the tree starts throwing out more water,” parishioner Maria Ybarra told KGPE-TV. Ybarra was the first person to feel the drops of liquid, which began falling from the Crape Myrtle tree on Wednesday. As news spread, more and more people gathered under the tree to pray.

http://www.buzzfeed....rs-are-actually

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,064 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

"throwing out more water" Really? Why bother educating people if you're going to ignore what they say?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,680 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

"May the grace of god shower you with divine insect poop" (in case no one knows, this was sarcasm)

Heh...it's funny but sad at the same time.

#4    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,550 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Get me tree that gets up out of the ground and throws a car into the next county, then I'll be impressed.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#5    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,059 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Yeah. An occassional unexplainable "miracle or "sign" is one thing. Never had it happen to me, but I'm OK with the thought.

But when there appears to be a clear scientific explanation, as in this case, I don't get why some people fall for "divine intervention"

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,680 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

View Postpallidin, on 14 August 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

But when there appears to be a clear scientific explanation, as in this case, I don't get why some people fall for "divine intervention"

Because it is easier to do that than to accept nature and reality for what it is.

Edited by Ryu, 15 August 2013 - 12:42 AM.

#7    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,683 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

This adds a new level to the term 'tree-hugger'..

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#8    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,871 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 14 August 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

A growing number of Catholics in Fresno, California believe that a tree outside St. John’s Cathedral is weeping God’s tears.

That doesn't surprise me. Catholic Hispanics are the majority in Fresno at 47%, whites 30% and Asian 12%.

#9    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

I am so disappointed in peoples intelligence right now :no:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

As far as I'm concerned, it's as equally valid to worship bug **** as it is to worship a big man in the sky.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#11    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,680 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 15 August 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

I am so disappointed in peoples intelligence right now :no:

I'm not. It is hardly surprising to see a bunch of people on their knees, bawling and praying to a tree that has bugs raining their liquified poop on them and thinking it is god blessing them or giving a "sign".

#12    J_T

J_T

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

This is proof of the lengths that people will go to find some sort divinty.  To me its proof that organized religion is a farce and that when people cant find the answers they are looking for by going to church they will latch onto anything and believe anything to find that divinty they are looking for.  It also tells me that there are many, many, many foolish people out there.  A tree crying gods tears come on people, use your heads.

#13    Rye17

Rye17

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

• God made me agnostic... who am I to question his wisdom

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

As an agnostic I can NOT stop laughing at this story. I always figured religion was **** but come on...

#14    J_T

J_T

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

This is proof of the lengths that people will go to find some sort divinty.  To me its proof that organized religion is a farce and that when people cant find the answers they are looking for by going to church they will latch onto anything and believe anything to find that divinty they are looking for.  It also tells me that there are many, many, many foolish people out there.  A tree crying gods tears come on people, use your heads.

#15    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postpallidin, on 14 August 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Yeah. An occassional unexplainable "miracle or "sign" is one thing. Never had it happen to me, but I'm OK with the thought.

'Magic' is way cooler!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users