Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Meet the olinguito

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

• U.S. scientists said the carnivorous olinguito looks like a cross between a house cat and a teddy bear but is a member of the same family as raccoons
  • The creature, which has wooly orange brown, fur lives in the cloud forests of Colombia and Ecuador, and is named 'neblina,' which means fog in Spanish
  • Scientists at the Smithsonian said the mammal is most active at night, eats mainly fruit, rarely comes out of the trees and has one baby at a time
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

'The discovery of the olinguito shows us that the world is not yet completely explored, its most basic secrets not yet revealed,' said Dr Kristofer Helgen, curator of mammals at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.

It's not that this was previously unknown animal, but that it was known, yet mistaken for something else that looks quite similar.

Perhaps it's time to look at what we know and reevaluate everything and make sure there isn't more of this mistaken identity going on.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,800 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

I thought an 'olinguito' was some sort of chocolate biscuit!  Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

I want it lol

#5    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

The black and white photo reminds me (a bit) of a Koala.

Posted Image

#6    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,514 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Oh he looks so cute! You know, before he rips my face apart and feasts on my corpes like some kind of hellhound.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#7    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 15 August 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Oh he looks so cute! You know, before he rips my face apart and feasts on my corpes like some kind of hellhound.

:lol: That first image does look like he is going to do just that and he has a nice set of claws on the little fellow.

Posted Image

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,509 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

The face reminds me of a cross between a ferret and a raccoon (without the mask)...

#9    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,800 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostTaun, on 15 August 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

The face reminds me of a cross between a ferret and a raccoon (without the mask)...

My first thoughts were of a male Manx Grockfoddler (minus the beak, feathers, horns and snorkel)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#10    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,509 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postealdwita, on 15 August 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

My first thoughts were of a male Manx Grockfoddler (minus the beak, feathers, horns and snorkel)

I'll have to google Grockfoddler (you should add this to the "funny sounding word thread)...

Internet keeps wanting to send me to "Toddler Rock"... (not that it wouldn't actually help me... :whistle: )...

Edited by Taun, 15 August 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#11    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,381 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

a couple more pictures in this article

http://edition.cnn.c...nian/index.html

#12    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

Cute li'l fella, isn't he? But I agree--the creature was misnamed. They make it sound like it had never been seen before. That's not a discovery--that's a mistake.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users