Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Is sleep a form of time-travel?

time time travel past present future

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

i  should  point  out  that  dream state is not restful  nor  random ...  and  lacks  the  order of   time   exclusive  ,  or  space  exclusive ...  or  time /space .   dreams  are  not  a machine function that relates  to  a computer  drive  or  a assembly language  baced  logic  system of  single  point  of focus on a stack of  commands ...   the  human  mind  is  a fishing  net , where  each  knot is a judgement  site , for  a letter that  requires  a delivery to  a receiver from a sender ...

these  two  structures  are  fundimentaly  diffrent  in  nature  , process  and  operation

#17    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

as  for  time  travel .   your  now  moment  is  effective  and effected...   you  can  drink  the  coffee...  and  taste  the  coffee...

in  the  past  moment ,  you   get  the  coffee , but  you can  not  taste  it...  your  not effected  by  it , but  can  effect it .
in the  future moment ,   you remember it  ,  and its  taste lingers ....  your effected by it  ,  but  can't  effect (change )  it  .

your  interface of  the  event  horizon  time/space  is  the  now ,   time / now   and  now / space ...   past  being  space  memory  ,   and  future  cause/effect  scheduling...

humans  are  unique  in  all  , by  being keenly  aware  of  now  moment .

#18    The Nameless One

The Nameless One

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

• (\ /)
    (0.0)
    (><)
    /_|_\
    Frank The Rabbit: 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

R4z3rsPar4d0x, on 15 August 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Time seems to pass faster when your asleep because your brain is technically in a state of rest, time passes just the same though

dude I love the Skeletor avatar

One night I ventured to my wooden rocking chair right outside my back porch, and I looked to the sky in the break of twilight, staring into the dark mirror of space, filled with sands of star dust, colossal supernovas and red giants, strings of wormholes and distant planets beyond my grasp. A place where tiny enigmatic hidden black holes tear through the fabric of space and time which, who knows; may lead into other dimensions and perhaps alternate realities. And as I look up at this heavens mirror which my hands can only reach so far through this looking glass, I felt an odd sensation of something looking back staring into my own eyes, staring into a whole other universe of which I new nothing about until I saw my reflection within it, and in that moment I then knew that the key which open the portal doors to parallel worlds was myself.    "The Eyes of the Universe, Chris Landrum"

#19    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

To sleep, perchance to dream...don't think time passes any differently than when we're awake. We just aren't aware of it. Like someone said, it's like going under the knife. I've woken from surgery a number times telling the surgeon he/she'd better get started, and they're finished. As for dreams, goodness knows they don't obey any time constrictions that we're used to when awake. I've had dreams that seemed to last forever and have awakened to find that only ten minutes has passed, and vice versa.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#20    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

taniwha, on 15 August 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Now that I think about it, time really seems to speed by at an unmeasured rate when I sleep.

AWAKE time seems noticeably longer when given the same dosage of ASLEEP time...to me what seems like no time at all, on waking may have passed by as hours on the clock!

How can this be explained?   Can this even be explained?   Time compression?   Time lapse?   Time travel?  

Do the laws of space/time apply differently just because I sleep? Of course, they apply correctly regardless of how strange my thoughts seem! :blush: !

Oddly enough I think that within the timeless dimension of sleep, that perhaps  past, present andfuture exist simultaneously and is then sensed as dreams...  dreamtime....if you will...

Of course I have no proof :su lol , if it were possible... what are your thoughts...or experiences?

Kia ora, Taniwha.

The word 'time' is used to describe multiple things, all associated but not quite the same. The time you are referring to is our subjective perception of a rate of change. Because this is subjective, and requires our perception to observe, then obviously when we cannot perceive it, it appears to not exist.

This is, however, only an illusion of perception as an observer who was capable of perception for the duration when you were not (i.e. they were awake), could inform you that time actually did occur while you were in that non-perceptive state.

Edited by Leonardo, 23 August 2013 - 11:19 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#21    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,910 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Leonardo, on 23 August 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Kia ora, Taniwha.

The word 'time' is used to describe multiple things, all associated but not quite the same. The time you are referring to is our subjective perception of a rate of change. Because this is subjective, and requires our perception to observe, then obviously when we cannot perceive it, it appears to not exist.

This is, however, only an illusion of perception as an observer who was capable of perception for the duration when you were not (i.e. they were awake), could inform you that time actually did occur while you were in that non-perceptive state.

Thanks Leo,  

I dream therefore I am ... lol ... Thereby I can sense a measure of time pass by.

Some dreams I percieve in an instant with complete memories and feelings ... A lifetimes worth!

Sometimes dreams seem less complex and gradually evolve but seem to last a lot longer.

Compression and expansion of time being  a common theme ... warping ! ! :blush: ?

The irony being that sleep maybe opens the 'Stargate' to time-travel which until now we have only dreamed of ! :unsure2: lol

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#22    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

Eldorado, on 15 August 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Nope.  It's your body recharging it's batteries.
if that were the case we'd bounce out of bed every morning.. not crawl..

#23    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

taniwha, on 25 August 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Thanks Leo,  

I dream therefore I am ... lol ... Thereby I can sense a measure of time pass by.

Some dreams I percieve in an instant with complete memories and feelings ... A lifetimes worth!

Sometimes dreams seem less complex and gradually evolve but seem to last a lot longer.

Compression and expansion of time being  a common theme ... warping ! ! :blush: ?

The irony being that sleep maybe opens the 'Stargate' to time-travel which until now we have only dreamed of ! :unsure2: lol

Dreaming is an altered state of consciousness, and so whatever we appear to perceive in that state, should not be directly compared to how we perceive in another (the awake) state.

This only means that our perceptions are skewed, not that reality actually changes in any way (i.e. through time speeding up or slowing down.)

But it's a nice idea you have, if a bit fanciful. :tu:

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

#24    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,910 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Leonardo, on 25 August 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Dreaming is an altered state of consciousness, and so whatever we appear to perceive in that state, should not be directly compared to how we perceive in another (the awake) state.

This only means that our perceptions are skewed, not that reality actually changes in any way (i.e. through time speeding up or slowing down.)

But it's a nice idea you have, if a bit fanciful. :tu:

Maybe you are right.  Mathematics has no solution to a problem that does not exist.

But how odd it is that people do experience future events when dreaming.       For all I know perhaps  dreamspace behaves just as strangely as dreamtime.  

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "

#25    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

taniwha, on 25 August 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Maybe you are right.  Mathematics has no solution to a problem that does not exist.

But how odd it is that people do experience future events when dreaming.    For all I know perhaps  dreamspace behaves just as strangely as dreamtime.  

Ah, prophecy!

That's a whole different kettle of fish. I would not necessarily twin prophecy with time-travel as linked topics, and perhaps it is worth exploring the differences (or similarities) between the two to uncover why?

#26    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,910 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Leonardo, on 25 August 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Ah, prophecy!

That's a whole different kettle of fish. I would not necessarily twin prophecy with time-travel as linked topics, and perhaps it is worth exploring the differences (or similarities) between the two to uncover why?

Hahaha  but  true.

I really never considered prophecy...

thoughts and experiences are definitely welcome on the subject.

Edited by taniwha, 25 August 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#27    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Professor T, on 25 August 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

if that were the case we'd bounce out of bed every morning.. not crawl..

That's the fault of alarm clocks, interrupting the recharging process.  Or if you're a parent, the fault of your kids.  lol

#28    Whisperer

Whisperer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi,

research quantum mechanics for the answer, the fundamental operational level of the mind seems based upon quanta packaging and thusly is able to access any time frame as all time frames co-exists at the same TIME...
i.e. you become fascinated with a source of some discription, then you become immersed in it and this is a period where you can see time slow down, just as in emergency life and death situations and conversly, time speeds up .....when you dont want it too....    :)

BUT, it can be measured if you took the time to test it...

Cheers....

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#29    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:50 AM

If the setting of your dream is that you time-travel, then yes.

But, if anything, it will just be a dream involving time-travel.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#30    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,910 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

mumanster, on 27 August 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

Hi,

research quantum mechanics for the answer, the fundamental operational level of the mind seems based upon quanta packaging and thusly is able to access any time frame as all time frames co-exists at the same TIME...
i.e. you become fascinated with a source of some discription, then you become immersed in it and this is a period where you can see time slow down, just as in emergency life and death situations and conversly, time speeds up .....when you dont want it too.... :)

BUT, it can be measured if you took the time to test it...

Cheers....

Welcome to UM mumanster and thanks for the input :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users