Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I know it sounds ridiculous but...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

I am a semi-skeptic. But I never rule out the possibility of alien civilizations. Not just lifeforms.

A few moments ago one of my friends posted something on his Facebook page. (FYI he is a gifted artist who worked for several Marvel movies. His latest project is, AFAIK, a game called Titanfall.) It was a story about some South African park that raises lions for hunting. Yeah, you heard that right. They breed and raise lions so that they can let the tourists shoot and kill them.

And that's just the start. I am well aware of American prison system, which is driven by...well, monetary profits. I know that there are increasing number of for-profit prisons in America.

Need I go on? I wonder if I ever posted a similar stuff because my memory is fuzzy. But I can't help asking the same question over and over again. What if our First Contact will be with a vastly superior race that happens to have supreme intellect, higher moral value, and devastating firepower at the same time?

What if these aliens have a strong conviction that pursuit of profit without any ethical supervision is a form of intolerable evil?

#2    Gravitorbox

Gravitorbox

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:38 AM

This is a question that has been posed countless times.

#3    Timmeh

Timmeh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

If they are super intelligent they are probably going to be smart enough not to group all humans together and if they are morally superior they will not start killing humans but probably try to correct the situation

#4    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostTimmeh, on 16 August 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

If they are super intelligent they are probably going to be smart enough not to group all humans together and if they are morally superior they will not start killing humans but probably try to correct the situation

Right, if they are moral enough they will try to avoid collateral damages.

#5    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

If aliens do come here I think they would treat us as a zoo as we do to other animals. We go to Africa to see the rhinos and lions right.  Inteligience does not mean they will be friendly. Look at what we do to our fellow primates. Oh ya we think we are smarter.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#6    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

View Postambelamba, on 16 August 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Right, if they are moral enough they will try to avoid collateral damages.

What collateral damage... It would be so one sided unless they have warp drive with a sling shot as there main weapon. Oh wait an alien that want to destroy us coud sling shot an asteroide into us hence no collateral damage.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#7    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

View Postambelamba, on 16 August 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

What if these aliens have a strong conviction that pursuit of profit without any ethical supervision is a form of intolerable evil?

Then we are doomed.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#8    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Postambelamba, on 16 August 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

I am a semi-skeptic. But I never rule out the possibility of alien civilizations. Not just lifeforms.

A few moments ago one of my friends posted something on his Facebook page. (FYI he is a gifted artist who worked for several Marvel movies. His latest project is, AFAIK, a game called Titanfall.) It was a story about some South African park that raises lions for hunting. Yeah, you heard that right. They breed and raise lions so that they can let the tourists shoot and kill them.

And that's just the start. I am well aware of American prison system, which is driven by...well, monetary profits. I know that there are increasing number of for-profit prisons in America.

Need I go on? I wonder if I ever posted a similar stuff because my memory is fuzzy. But I can't help asking the same question over and over again. What if our First Contact will be with a vastly superior race that happens to have supreme intellect, higher moral value, and devastating firepower at the same time?

You've a master of non-sequitors.

I've seen better....but not many

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#9    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,151 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

People always assume that the ETs will be so morally superior, or indeed that there are Universal moral Values like laws of nature. Why would they be remotely bothered about what went on on a small Planet that was no conceivable threat to anyone? Why should they take it upon themselves to play God? Or would, in fact, they be what we call "God"?

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#10    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,151 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Besides, wouldn't higher Moral values and immeasurably superior weaponry be mutually contradictory?

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#11    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

not really, they could use the weaponry as a means to enforce the laws they live by that are connected to the morality

or purely as a means to defense

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#12    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,162 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

well lets see the big bad nasty aliens deal with some of our microscopic but killer bacterias.... I reckon if we zapped a cloud of anthrax or ricin their way, or whatever else is similarly nasty and rapidly disabling... we wouldn't need our big guns

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#13    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,151 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Postseeder, on 16 August 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

well lets see the big bad nasty aliens deal with some of our microscopic but killer bacterias.... I reckon if we zapped a cloud of anthrax or ricin their way, or whatever else is similarly nasty and rapidly disabling... we wouldn't need our big guns
Much like the premise of War of the Worlds, you mean?

- Philip K. Dick.

#14    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,162 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 16 August 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Much like the premise of War of the Worlds, you mean?

yeh and they do say that sometimes science fiction - becomes science fact...

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#15    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,577 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Isn't there a good chance alien morality would be well alien?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users