Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Heat Waves Now Inevitable! Hot Century Ahead:

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,160 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

OK I saw a story on this and didnt think too much, then I saw another similar one and began to pay a little more attention.  Most of Europe has had a record heatwave, specially the UK, but what if it continues?  These 2 stories try address that:

Hot Century Ahead: Study Finds Onslaught of Heat Waves Now Inevitable
Report comes as North Asia temperature spike kills dozens in the midst of a blistering summer

A new study dishes out some very bad news about the global warming crisis.

It is too late to stop a "several folds" increase of deadly heat waves caused by greenhouse gases—and the floods, fires, and storms they bring.

The report comes as a record heat wave hits North Asia, killing dozens and sickening far more, flooding hospitals with heatstroke victims amid power shortages that are cutting off air conditioning in some areas.

http://www.commondre...ne/2013/08/15-2

Stand by for extreme weather. Prepare for heat waves on a scale that was once unprecedented. For once, there is no “if” in the forecast. Even if governments abandon fossil fuels everywhere, immediately and invest only in green energy, there will be new record temperatures.

The greenhouse gas emissions of the last few decades now mean that regions of the planet subjected to extreme heat will double by 2020 and quadruple by 2040

http://www.eco-busin...re-now-certain/

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,205 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

But of course, there's no such thing as global warming.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,160 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

well Ive just watched this vid (news story clips) about the current, 2013 heatwaves, Australia has really suffered and I wasn't quite aware how much so... so I guess all the Brits who moved there for the sunshine life... might be having second thoughts about that now

if you watch it all, it will have a few quotes to biblical prophecies at the end, sorry about that, but the content is good though - and I do not endorse or intend to promote...any prophesies

Edited by seeder, 17 August 2013 - 09:12 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,205 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have no idea what you mean about heatwaves.
It's a chilly 29 degree Celsius winter here.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#5    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

30 plus C here and I hate it lol

There is no doubt in my mind there is a change in the weather. More snow more rain more hail and more tornados plus an increase in temp.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#6    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

Hell, It's mid winter here in NZ, and 20 degrees C..

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,771 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

This has been the coolest Summer in my memory along the Gulf Coast.  Huge amounts of rain and about 6 degrees below normal.  I hope the Winter isn't warm :(

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

good news if you're fed up with living on a damp, soggy little island and fancy living on a sun-blasted east atlantic rock instead!
shorts & t-shirts beats wellies & greatcoats every time methinks.
although, on the downside, it may lead to an increase of the french.....
:-o

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#9    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

We had snow in our state this winter. Something pretty rare. Coldest winter in X amount of years. Seems to be going the opposite way for us haha.

Until summer comes... Probably end up being the hottest summer on record.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#10    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Melbourne has had the coldest winter in years, I am sick of the cold - and the wind, this year.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,160 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

the UK has again broken heatwave records, well its own that is. I used to be a sun lover, now Im older, I cant stand the evening sticky humidity. OK we dont have it for long, a week or 2 of real hot and then the storms which always seem to follow heatwaves in the UK. Then they make floods as the ground is too hard to soak up the rains

Ive noted a defo change in weather patterns here. So have the crops and spring flowers that get fooled into blooming early, only for winter conditions to return for a week or so, very odd. Rain and cold I can deal with, thats part of being English!!  :lol:

#12    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Never liked studies and surveys, a study is not 100% proof, both are models

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

There's always an "if" in the forecast.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#14    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

This summer here has been much cooler and wetter than normal.  Last year at this time we were suffering from excessive heat and no rain.  People in Europe and Asian seem to be getting the heat this year.  Next year I guess it will be our turn again.  This is global warming at its best.

#15    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,149 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

that means plenty of snow and drizzle, then, knowing the accuracy of long range forecasts.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users