Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Weekly rubbish collections must be scrapped

rubbish collections recycling weekly

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,587 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Traditional weekly rubbish collections must be scrapped to meet European recycling regulations, ministers have told councils.

Every home must be made to  separate its rubbish into at least five bins, the Government says.

Under the new rules, more than 100 areas which still have traditional weekly bin rounds will lose them, to be replaced by fortnightly collections or similarly complicated rationing and recycling methods.

http://www.dailymail...containers.html

We already have three bins. One is collected one week and the other two the week after on two different days. Now we've been told we're being trialled for what amounts to 'slop buckets' which involves two more bins. One for inside the house and the other outside. They haven't delivered the two new bins yet - I can't wait <_< I'm all for recycling, but heck!

Posted Image

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,053 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Oh go away, moronic stupid idiot politicians. Stop Governing all the time. They've only just been talking about reintroducing weekly collections after idiot councils made them fortnightly to save money.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,791 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

They used to make us separate all our recyclables, but now we put it one bin and they sort it at the recycling center. I think they might do it for a while, but they will find people won't comply because it is too complicated.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I've lived a couple of places that had mandatory recycling.  Where I live now is a little different.  Our subdivision used to be a ski resort so the roads are not conducive to trash pick up or mail delivery.  At the bottom of the mountain is a mail center where everyone has a box and beside that is the trash collection center.  They have the general bin and then several big bins (I'm talking like 30 feet long) that are broken down to paper and cardboard, glass, aluminum and plastic.

It works.

The slop bucket thing is just nasty though...I'd be tempted to dispose of my table scraps on the council's lawn...hey....it's biodegradable and turns into fertilizer right?...doing them a favor...

Edited by Jeremiah65, 17 August 2013 - 02:37 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#5    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,258 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I believe the fortnightly collections were scrapped?

#6    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,566 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

The slop bucket thing is just nasty though...

and pointless... just bury your compost in your garden. No mess. No boxes. Nothing. Simple and easy :) (just make sure to bury it at least 8 inches deep or the raccoons will dig it up lol)

Edited by Bavarian Raven, 17 August 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#7    Blue Star

Blue Star

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

here in west Wales, we already have this.
1) 1, food scrap bin for inside.
2) 1, larger food bin for outside which you empty the smaller food bin contents into….I use the biodegradable bags to line these bins which makes it all very easy to use and clean. It's no bother and it feels good not wasting all that food waste which is recycled into compost.
3) 1, recycling bin for all the clean recyclables.
4) 1, the bin bin, for all that can not be recycled in some way.

I like it, it feels good to do. Our rubbish is collected every two weeks. Which means less noisy traffic.

I feel there are worse things to moan about than having to be more aware of recycling and good waste management.

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,053 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostBlue Star, on 17 August 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

here in west Wales, we already have this.
1) 1, food scrap bin for inside.
2) 1, larger food bin for outside which you empty the smaller food bin contents into….I use the biodegradable bags to line these bins which makes it all very easy to use and clean. It's no bother and it feels good not wasting all that food waste which is recycled into compost.
3) 1, recycling bin for all the clean recyclables.
4) 1, the bin bin, for all that can not be recycled in some way.

I like it, it feels good to do. Our rubbish is collected every two weeks. Which means less noisy traffic.

I feel there are worse things to moan about than having to be more aware of recycling and good waste management.
Junk building up until the bins are overflowing and the seagulls feasting on it? Sacks of junk left in the street for seagulls to feast on? it's a public health hazard. Why on earth would having to put junk in one of five bins possibly make people more recycling conscious? it's absolutely no difference at all from just putting it out for the bin men in the traditional manner, is it.
No, actually it is different. The Bin men used to come round more often, so that junk didn't have so much of a chance to build up. Yes, "recycling" has really been a major step forward.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#9    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,751 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

why are we signed up to these EU directives. the EU is directly effecting our everyday lives. from rubbish collection to postal service. and much, much more in between. im sure these get passed through the back door and no-ones reading the small print. the reality of the situation is this. the EU regulations have seen our refuse collection fee go up by 17% in the last five years. because the council have to pay a fine to the EU for using our own landfill sites, thats right. landfill sites here in the UK. -  how stupid is that. paying to use our own landfill sites. its complete madness. -

when it comes to recycling im all for it. but no more do i put my recycling bin out. I use to and heres why. when we put these bins out ready for the council its like leaving a five pound note £5,00 on the kerb ready for the council to pick up. the council makes millions a year in selling the recycled material and yet they apply charges - so in affect were paying twice their making money on our good nature. not only that if the recycling lorry gets to the processing plant and there is a long queue they simply turn the bin lorries around and drive them to the normal landfill and dump the recycled material in with the rest of household waste. what a waste of time after hundreds or thousands of households have taken the time to separate the items.

if you have the time and want to earn a little bit of money to put in the old girls pinny. sort your recycling material and take it to the recycling centre yourself. they'll pay you a few bob for the material (wheelie bin size) and depending on materials - remember when your parents or grandparents use to take old glass jars / bottles back and get a penny for each one. - same thing applies today.

on this link is the current prices of recycling material just click on the type of material on the left and scroll down to see how much the market is paying for a tonne. now imagine how many tonnes the council is recycling everyday of the week. money for old rope.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#10    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,587 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 August 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Junk building up until the bins are overflowing and the seagulls feasting on it? Sacks of junk left in the street for seagulls to feast on? it's a public health hazard. Why on earth would having to put junk in one of five bins possibly make people more recycling conscious? it's absolutely no difference at all from just putting it out for the bin men in the traditional manner, is it.
No, actually it is different. The Bin men used to come round more often, so that junk didn't have so much of a chance to build up. Yes, "recycling" has really been a major step forward.
Here the bin men won't touch anything except the bins. All rubbish has to be inside the allotted bins. If you leave a black sack out they'll ignore it.

We used to have special collections for bulky household items, like furniture or old TV's etc., All you did was phone to arrange it and they'd tell you which day to put it out by the kerbside. This service used to be free of charge but now you have to pay 'per item'.

I remember when I was still living at home, we used to have the good old fashioned dustbins, there were no recycling bins then. The bin men used to actually come and pick the bin up themselves from outside the back door, go out with it, empty it into the lorry and then carry it back to where they found it. Mind you, at Christmas they also expected a tip :D

Posted Image

#11    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

We have three bins: Green for recycle. Brown for nature parts. Black for the rest.

Our black bin gets taken every week. We take it out to them. They never come only a few feet further to collect it.

The brown bin gets taken once every six months.
The green bin gets taken once every month.

We don't have a yard, so no need for a brown bin. We just put it in the cellar and use it for storage.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#12    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostAsadora, on 17 August 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

We have three bins: Green for recycle. Brown for nature parts. Black for the rest.

Our black bin gets taken every week. We take it out to them. They never come only a few feet further to collect it.

We don't have a yard, so no need for a brown bin. We just put it in the cellar and use it for storage.

Here where I am is the same (Victoria, Australia). Blue bin for recycleables. Green bin for rubbish and black bin with orange lid for plant/tree debris which is turned into mulch. Green bin turned into landfill. Blue bin taking the plastics (1-3), tins, etc.

#13    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 17 August 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

and pointless... just bury your compost in your garden. No mess. No boxes. Nothing. Simple and easy :) (just make sure to bury it at least 8 inches deep or the raccoons will dig it up lol)
Those pesky Raccoons get into everything.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#14    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,053 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

6 months?! How big is this brown bin? the size of a shipping container??

H. P. Lovecraft.

#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,587 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

So far we have three bins too. Brown for garden rubbish - Blue for cardboard, papers and cans - Green for everything else.

View Postshaddow134, on 18 August 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

Those pesky Raccoons get into everything.
We don't have Racoons in this country. Before we were issued with bins all rubbish went out in black sacks, a prime target for cats, dogs and seagulls.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users