Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Thousands of bodies under Bath Abbey

bath abbey bodies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,374 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

For more than 300 years, thousands of people have been buried just below the stone flooring of Bath Abbey.

It is estimated that up to 6,000 bodies have been "jammed in" to shallow graves under the church's grave ledger stones.

Now as the floor of the 500-year-old building begins to lift and collapse, the abbey has discovered "huge great voids everywhere" beneath its flooring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merset-23685801

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

You reap what you sow.

#3    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

What the heck were they thinking when they just jumbled up human remains that way? Didn't they have a clue what would happen when everything started to settle?

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

An estimated 4,000-6,000 buried there?
Wow, that's alot.

#5    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Answer: stuff the holes with more bodies... Just kidding.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#6    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

You would have to dehydrate and compress human bodies a lot to make the matter sufficient for any foundations...

Posted Image

#7    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

I suspect this isn't quite as serious as it first sounds, as it seems to be only the floor that needs attention. The actual foundations for this type of building are huge and will be unaffected by these 'voids'. I'd love to be involved with the excavation though!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 17 August 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

What the heck were they thinking when they just jumbled up human remains that way? Didn't they have a clue what would happen when everything started to settle?

Well remember this was over a 300 year period... So that's only about 20 burials a year... They probably had no way of suspecting the consequences to the flooring - and if they did, they probably thought it would
'get fixed' later...

"jamming" bodies together is an ancient pastime apparently... This pic is from the ancient city of Ur in southern Iraq... It is of a family 'burial plot'... The archaeologist on site told us the shaft went down for approximately
60 feet... When a family member died, their body was lowered down the shaft and dirt thrown in over them... When the plot was full the family would have the temple provide them with another...

Posted Image

Individual burial sites (except for the very wealthy or powerful) is a fairly recent development... And the followers of many religions (most religions probably) have a marked preference to being buried in
sanctified ground such as the inside of a temple or church...

Also tagged with bath abbey, bodies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users