Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

World's oldest temple built to worship

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Today, Sirius can be seen almost worldwide as the brightest star in the sky – excluding the sun – and the fourth brightest night-sky object after the moon, Venus and Jupiter. Sirius is so noticeable that its rising and setting was used as the basis for the ancient Egyptian calendar, says Magli. At the latitude of Göbekli Tepe, Sirius would have been below the horizon until around 9300 BC, when it would have suddenly popped into view.

"I propose that the temple was built to follow the 'birth' of this star," says Magli. "You can imagine that the appearance of a new object in the sky could even have triggered a new religion."

http://www.newscient...ml#.UhEcH5L3P_N

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,180 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

I don't know,I'd have thought a temple to venerate something would have been something old not something new.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,717 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 18 August 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

I don't know,I'd have thought a temple to venerate something would have been something old not something new.

Besides, as I have already pointed out in another thread Sirius was perfectly visible, just a little removed from the place where you would expect it.

As far as the veneration of Sirius: it was predominant in agricultural societies as it is the only reliable calendar with a 365 day cycle we have on the firmament, therefore needed to determine the sowing and reaping times. That makes it very unlikely that the people of Gobeliki had anything to do with it. As far as we know at this point they were hunter-gatherers.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    bassai26

bassai26

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

• "Nobody can choose which star to be born under"

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostMelo, on 18 August 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Today, Sirius can be seen almost worldwide as the brightest star in the sky – excluding the sun – and the fourth brightest night-sky object after the moon, Venus and Jupiter. Sirius is so noticeable that its rising and setting was used as the basis for the ancient Egyptian calendar, says Magli. At the latitude of Göbekli Tepe, Sirius would have been below the horizon until around 9300 BC, when it would have suddenly popped into view.

"I propose that the temple was built to follow the 'birth' of this star," says Magli. "You can imagine that the appearance of a new object in the sky could even have triggered a new religion."

http://www.newscient...ml#.UhEcH5L3P_N
maybe it is...ancient people likely to build temples or structures to glorify heavenly bodies- like the sphinx represent the constellation of leo.

#5    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,551 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

View Postbassai26, on 19 August 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

maybe it is...ancient people likely to build temples or structures to glorify heavenly bodies- like the sphinx represent the constellation of leo.

With your apparent ability to divinely intuit the meaning of works and deeds of the ancients, I wonder why you're left posting here and not writing mass-market paperbacks with lurid blurbs...

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#6    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

The sphinx - Leo constellation connection is tenuous at best....the theory that Leo was on the horizon allowed pseudo scientist the lee-way to say the sphinx is much older than it is....in a nutshell they say if you rolled back the star charts to where the sphinx was looking at Leo on the horizon...it was like 10,000 BC or some nonsense....not happening...but nice try.

I am very interested in Gobekli Tepe...not for some mysterious, esoteric nonsense...but I personally think we are looking at the birthplace of civilization as we know it...masses of people working together toward a common goal.  From the demand at the site, they developed agriculture and domestication of animals...I know that is a huge stretch and there is yet no evidence of it...but that is what I "think" we are seeing...it was because of the massive effort here that the need for these things rose (food and water) and a means to meet that need was developed.  That is how humanity works...we generally don't do squat till there is a defined need for it.

I am not sold on the "star" element yet.  This was more "earthly"...totems and "the hunt" and mankind's rise to power over nature....that is what I think this site is about...

But who am I?...an educated idiot...a maniac with a computer....a keyboard warrior....

Posted Image

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#7    mannspwz

mannspwz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

we generally don't do squat till there is a defined need for it.Posted Image

#8    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:41 AM

As Magli said, he's just speculating.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#9    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,401 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

I'm still not convinced about Gobekli-Tepe being a temple as it's primary function. While we have evidence of settled, agrarian societies building temples (or temple-like structures) and funerary monuments as permanent or semi-permanent structures as a matter of importance, those who inhabited the area around Gobekli-Tepe are presumed to still be primarily hunter/gatherer. So we should not carry over our observations from non-alike societies and assume the monumental structure at Gobekli-Tepe's function from that.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,180 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

I personally think GT is a "meeting place of the tribes" for the local tribes. The animal sigils are representations of the tribes, the most important tribes in the centre etc.
Over the years, the meeting place changed (and shrunk and built upwards) as the tribes assimilated each other, were wiped out, moved on, moved in etc etc.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#11    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 23 August 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

I personally think GT is a "meeting place of the tribes" for the local tribes. The animal sigils are representations of the tribes, the most important tribes in the centre etc.
Over the years, the meeting place changed (and shrunk and built upwards) as the tribes assimilated each other, were wiped out, moved on, moved in etc etc.

Barring any evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to agree about the "meeting place" hypothesis, Sir WoH. And I see you have been honoured, *doffs cap*.

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

#12    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 23 August 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

I agree... Having it as a place for semi-nomadic tribes of the same culture to gather periodically to maintain contact, inter-marry, trade and just to have an excuse to party makes a lot of sense...

#13    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostTaun, on 23 August 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

I agree... Having it as a place for semi-nomadic tribes of the same culture to gather periodically to maintain contact, inter-marry, trade and just to have an excuse to party makes a lot of sense...

In that sense it can be viewed as the earliest known effort to organise such gatherings and so, perhaps, be a step on the path towards the transition to agrarianism.

#14    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,000 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

gobekli-full_35417_600x450.jpg [click to enlarge] [double click to go back in time] :w00t:

I just thought i'd post this pic .. because if  form follows function  ,, what does the form of this tell us,  if anything?   What's with the outer area at the top of the image that seems to be enclosed?   The  multiple ringed walls are intriguing .

Edited by lightly, 23 August 2013 - 11:37 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#15    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Perhaps it was the equivalent of a court-of-law and trial arena?

An early attempt at a UN to settle disputes either peacefully, or with minimum of violence?

Edited by Leonardo, 23 August 2013 - 11:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users