Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

World's oldest temple built to worship

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

It appears to me also to be a food center of the hunters abudance of game, perhaps to be tally and passed out to the tribes,a distribution of food.  the statues of the figures have their hands over their stomachs.:)

#17    bassai26

bassai26

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

• "Nobody can choose which star to be born under"

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postjaylemurph, on 19 August 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

With your apparent ability to divinely intuit the meaning of works and deeds of the ancients, I wonder why you're left posting here and not writing mass-market paperbacks with lurid blurbs...

--Jaylemurph
uhmmm...i'm just speculating sir... :blush:

#18    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,445 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postbassai26, on 23 August 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

uhmmm...i'm just speculating sir... :blush:

Don't be put off by Jay's bark. ;)  Those of us who have been here a long time tend to have seen the mistakes people make regarding many of our ancient monuments and structures, over and over again - and so it can get a little frustrating from time to time. But you just ride with that, improve your knowledge, and come back ready for the next round.

At the end of the day, however, we're all here because there are questions we'd like the answers to. And it's generally a fairly good natured place.

Edited by Leonardo, 23 August 2013 - 12:51 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#19    bassai26

bassai26

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

• "Nobody can choose which star to be born under"

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 23 August 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Don't be put off by Jay's bark. ;)  Those of us who have been here a long time tend to have seen the mistakes people make regarding many of our ancient monuments and structures, over and over again - and so it can get a little frustrating from time to time. But you just ride with that, improve your knowledge, and come back ready for the next round.

At the end of the day, however, we're all here because there are questions we'd like the answers to. And it's generally a fairly good natured place.
thank you...but it is not that im intimidated, i have my own perception in viewing things...

#20    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,976 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

...  Fun to think about.    Maybe  they gathered  there for multiple reasons... one being  a CENSUS  of the clans, and thereby the larger group/tribe.
Maybe they made various plans there.. perhaps even defensive and or offensive  battle plans .

I read somewhere that the T's  might represent important individuals ??     Why the odd shape ?  instead of perfectly  proportioned?    >  T

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,409 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postlightly, on 24 August 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

...  Fun to think about. Maybe  they gathered  there for multiple reasons... one being  a CENSUS  of the clans, and thereby the larger group/tribe.
Maybe they made various plans there.. perhaps even defensive and or offensive  battle plans .

I read somewhere that the T's  might represent important individuals ?? Why the odd shape ?  instead of perfectly  proportioned? >  T

Hardly, in fact the Gobeliki culture seems to be behind that of its neighbors... unless at some point there was a taboo passed against ceramics. My bet is that it was cave dwelling hunter who were displaced from their area. As they found no cave to convert into a Temple (i.e. Lascaux, Altamira) they built themselves a cave.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,976 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Ah,  thanks for the info questionmark    .   No ceramics  while some of the neighbors did have huh?   I remember you stating that displaced cave dwellers idea before.  It does make sense.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,409 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

View Postlightly, on 24 August 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Ah,  thanks for the info questionmark .   No ceramics  while some of the neighbors did have huh?   I remember you stating that displaced cave dwellers idea before.  It does make sense.

No, I did not say that, there were ceramics but of much cruder design and execution that those of the neighbors, one could say they were about 1000 years behind.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#24    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,976 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh,   ok thanks.   ..But then the site was used  for well over a thousand years  wasn't it? So if they were a  "displaced" group,  they seem to have made themselves at home?

Edited by lightly, 24 August 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#25    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,409 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

View Postlightly, on 24 August 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh,   ok thanks.   ..But then the site was used  for well over a thousand years  wasn't it? So if they were a  "displaced" group,  they seem to have made themselves at home?

Quite so, you don't build gigantic (for its time) temples to bugger off next year. Yes the site lasted a long time, and one day was buried and abandoned.

about me

#26    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

I just thought i'd post this pic .. because if  form follows function  ,, what does the form of this tell us,  if anything?   What's with the outer area at the top of the image that seems to be enclosed?   The  multiple ringed walls are intriguing .

Thank you for sharing that graphic.  If that is the form the temple took, it reminds me of passage cairns and standing stones in other parts of the world.  The circle is a traditionally sacred form, isn't it?  I never was able to envision the GT site with the walls upright before you posted the picture.  I can picture a roof on that passage and people having to bend low to enter the temple.

Edited to add; I think the several ring passages look like a maze, which was also a sacred thing to the ancients.

Edited by moonshadow60, 24 August 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#27    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,976 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Your welcome moonshadow   ,  Yes, it's a good picture  [post #14]  because it must be based on the  footprint  of the structure  and therefore an accurate depiction?

#28    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I don` nt think Gobeliki was a worship temple, why would they have put different figures of animals and game on the stones, if it were not a assortmemt center.The holes on top of the stones could have been a tally

Edited by docyabut2, 25 August 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#29    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,445 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 24 August 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Thank you for sharing that graphic.  If that is the form the temple took, it reminds me of passage cairns and standing stones in other parts of the world.  The circle is a traditionally sacred form, isn't it?

The classic shape of a passage cairn, while also practical, is very feminine in form. This may be put down to ancient belief in ritual rebirth of the deceased into another life, or afterlife.

If we interpret the shape of the Gobekli-Tepe monument to be as illustrated, that might indicate the builders held this belief of death/rebirth.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#30    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postlightly, on 23 August 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Attachment gobekli-full_35417_600x450.jpg [click to enlarge] [double click to go back in time] :w00t:

I just thought i'd post this pic .. because if  form follows function  ,, what does the form of this tell us,  if anything?   What's with the outer area at the top of the image that seems to be enclosed?   The  multiple ringed walls are intriguing .

The rooms are divided as to sort out.

Edited by docyabut2, 25 August 2013 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users