Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

World's oldest temple built to worship

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

The more  enclosed areas  would serve fairly well as  granaries?    Who knows.  Maybe it was all too sacred to them to be used for anything practical?  
But... wasn't the area, at the time, a good source of wild grains?   It seems like a lot of rigamorole'  to be something as simple as a food distribution center?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#32    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postlightly, on 23 August 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Attachment gobekli-full_35417_600x450.jpg [click to enlarge] [double click to go back in time] :w00t:

I just thought i'd post this pic .. because if  form follows function  ,, what does the form of this tell us,  if anything?   What's with the outer area at the top of the image that seems to be enclosed?   The  multiple ringed walls are intriguing .

Reading "Mutliple ringed" itself fills me with a sense of foreboding. :w00t:
Soon some atlantis nut is bound to latch on to it.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#33    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,752 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

View Postlightly, on 25 August 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

The more  enclosed areas  would serve fairly well as  granaries? Who knows.  Maybe it was all too sacred to them to be used for anything practical?  
But... wasn't the area, at the time, a good source of wild grains?   It seems like a lot of rigamorole'  to be something as simple as a food distribution center?

Maybe as storage rooms, but certainly not as granary. That was invented with agriculture.

Edited by questionmark, 26 August 2013 - 01:55 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#34    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks question mark,   and I'd put my money on you being right ..    but then again,  squirrels and mice and such store grains, and larger nuts ,  i sorta don't see why some early grain gatherers  wouldn't have  sometimes  stashed some in a cool dry place?  No evidence of that sort of thing till later?

But, ya, i don't think those crescent shaped rooms are for food storage either.    You mentioned earlier  that  the  structures may have been  attempts at  mimicking caves ?...  so you reckon they had roofs then?         I would guess they did.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#35    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,752 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

View Postlightly, on 26 August 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Thanks question mark,   and I'd put my money on you being right .. but then again,  squirrels and mice and such store grains, and larger nuts ,  i sorta don't see why some early grain gatherers  wouldn't have  sometimes  stashed some in a cool dry place?  No evidence of that sort of thing till later?

But, ya, i don't think those crescent shaped rooms are for food storage either. You mentioned earlier  that  the  structures may have been  attempts at  mimicking caves ?...  so you reckon they had roofs then? I would guess they did.

The people excavating the places are confident bordering certainty that the place had roofs, some go as far as claiming that the funny T shaped supports held precisely that.

Edited by questionmark, 26 August 2013 - 07:42 PM.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#36    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

Thanks question mark,   If i may further pick your brainage?  (then i promise to give you a break;)  ..    were all of the structures buried at the same time do they think?
Or, are the burials spread out over hundreds of years?   If they were occasional..  their burials might have been  Special occasions.     Such as the end of a " lineage "  or such?

No bodies found within i guess...  but they may nave practiced  sky  burials anyway?    Probably hard to detect what's left of a platform full of bones on the surface  after  many thousands of years.

#37    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,752 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postlightly, on 26 August 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Thanks question mark,   If i may further pick your brainage?  (then i promise to give you a break;)  .. were all of the structures buried at the same time do they think?
Or, are the burials spread out over hundreds of years?   If they were occasional..  their burials might have been  Special occasions. Such as the end of a " lineage "  or such?

No bodies found within i guess...  but they may nave practiced  sky  burials anyway? Probably hard to detect what's left of a platform full of bones on the surface  after  many thousands of years.

There were no corpses in Altamira either. I guess burying people in the temple is a newer concept.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users