Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Invisibility cloak made from simple mirrors

invisibility cloak mirrors time clock northwestern university

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,374 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Researchers at Northwestern University have designed an invisibility cloak that can temporally hide objects for an indefinite period of time.

Objects covered by this invisibility cloak wouldn’t disappear from sight, but rather it would appear that time has completely stopped for the cloaked object. A clock, for example, would continue to tick — but to the human observer, the hands would never move.

http://www.extremete...me-indefinitely

Posted Image

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

The title extension is misleading, not by the OP here, but by the article writer.

The "can stop time indefinetly" is not true at all.

In fact, this appears to be a very complex process that, not only is just theorectical(though likely) but has significant limitations.

For example, the article states:

The duration of the temporal cloak is twice the time it takes light to travel between A and B — and so if you place B a very, very long way away — such as on another planet — you could theoretically cloak an object for minutes, or hours… or light years. I guess you could even do it here on Earth, if you created a massive (and I mean millions of miles massive) network of mirrors capable of bouncing light around for a few seconds or minutes.

In other words, this technique at short distances(a few feet or even several miles) will simply not work to any useful degree.

And, of course, time can not be stopped. What is happening here, though clever, is "delayed perception" However, given the speed of light, it takes an enormous amount of distance/mirrors to create this effect to any perceptable degree, and a considerable amount of loss in light intensity would result.

Edited by pallidin, 19 August 2013 - 03:12 AM.

#3    wyelander

wyelander

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

I built an invisibility cloak a couple of years ago. Trouble is I've not been able to find it since...

#4    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• 2,153 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

This is another invisibility cloak with major limitations making it relatively useless for practical applications.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#5    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Many great inventions we take for granted today started out pretty useless with limitations so I think you have to appreciate this as a first step towards something great

#6    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Even in Star Trek, if you looked hard, you could see the spacial distortions from a Romulan or Klingon cloak.

#7    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,506 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

I witnessed a real invisibility cloak in Chicago years ago. I was at a St. Patrick's Day parade. What it was was a garbage truck covered with mirrors. It was really a strange sight...or not a sight. The truck couldn't be seen at all, all there was to see were the reflections of the buildings around the truck.

The truck was invisible. If you had seen it in person, it was weird.

Another kind of invisibility cloak was tried in WW2 to hide war ships at sea. The U.S. Navy Dept. asked some scientist how to do this. His reply was to put bright lights on the ship in daytime. The Admirals thought this was a crazy idea, but when they tried it, bright lights a ship near the horizon made it impossible to see.

I don't have a link for this, though.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#8    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 20 August 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

Another kind of invisibility cloak was tried in WW2 to hide war ships at sea. The U.S. Navy Dept. asked some scientist how to do this. His reply was to put bright lights on the ship in daytime. The Admirals thought this was a crazy idea, but when they tried it, bright lights a ship near the horizon made it impossible to see.

sounds more plausable than the 'Philidelphia Experiment' SMK!

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#9    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hey, this is pretty cool. Don't know what you'd use it for, but it's still pretty cool.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users