Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ten Reasons Not To Live On Mars

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Postseeder, on 20 August 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

and thats the thing really isnt it? Lets say mars colonization was possible and actually worked. Then there will be the question of, who supplies the water? The food? Clothing?. So someone will setup a business to do the things mentioned, and then want something in return for it. Like money for example, or whatever valuable martian rocks there may be.

And then as we all know.... money is the root of all evil.So, who would be head of the martian colonies? And how would he/she be elected? And who will keep an eye on the revelers? Ah - then we need security forces too.

And before you know it... its earth all over again. People do what people do!

Love of money is the root of all evil, as the saying goes, but I do agree with what you posted.
I also nominate myself as first President of the Martian Colonies. Fail to win an election, however, and I will declare myself the One True and Only Emperor of the Martian Empire.

Earth will tremble before the might of my army of genetically superior Martian Octocats.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 20 August 2013 - 09:53 PM.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#32    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,120 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 20 August 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

and I will declare myself the One True and Only Emperor of the Martian Empire.

Earth will tremble before the might of my army of genetically superior Martian Octocats.

:tu:

But will you grow a fu-man-chu moustache?

Posted Image

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#33    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

View Postseeder, on 20 August 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

:tu:

But will you grow a fu-man-chu moustache?

Posted Image

ZZHHHOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

#34    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 20 August 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

I would hope that anyone that were giving birth on the moon or mars would be far far from the belief in something as dull as astrology.

Astrology may well be dull, but so many other things are too, such as maths.

#35    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostElfin, on 21 August 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

Astrology may well be dull, but so many other things are too, such as maths.

Math has that little thing know as "being real" going for it, however.

#36    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 21 August 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

Math has that little thing know as "being real" going for it, however.

I'd be intererested to hear the results of your study of astrology.

#37    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

View PostElfin, on 21 August 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

I'd be intererested to hear the results of your study of astrology.

As interested as I am in your study of the mating habits of unicorns.

#38    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

I suspect that Mars, like the moon and Antarctica, will never be colonized except by researchers, and then for limited periods.  At least this will not happen for millennia, and by then we will have colonies on more attractive worlds in other solar systems (or we will have found a way to traverse dimensions or maybe just live simulated lives).

#39    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 21 August 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

As interested as I am in your study of the mating habits of unicorns.

I have made no comment on the mating habits of unicorns. But you made one about astrology, so I'd be interested to hear the results of the analyses you have made that led you to your opinion.

#40    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,120 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

and whats all this got to do with ten reasons?

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#41    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostElfin, on 21 August 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

I have made no comment on the mating habits of unicorns. But you made one about astrology, so I'd be interested to hear the results of the analyses you have made that led you to your opinion.

I'm not the one claiming astrology is real, you are. It is not. There is no force emanating from celestial objects that affect peoples personalities. That is stupid. Astrology has repeatedly failed to be validated every time it has been tested.
Not to mention that thanks to the precession of the Earth, the dates that people go by for their astrological signs are all wrong.

View Postseeder, on 21 August 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

That were mars to be colonized in spite of these ten reasons, it should not be done so by people who believe in astrology.

#42    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

View Postseeder, on 21 August 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

I don't know, but I think we just witnessed the conception of the next Discovery Channel mockunentary- Unicorns: The Horn Uncovered!

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#43    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 21 August 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

I'm not the one claiming astrology is real, you are. It is not. There is no force emanating from celestial objects that affect peoples personalities. That is stupid. Astrology has repeatedly failed to be validated every time it has been tested.
Not to mention that thanks to the precession of the Earth, the dates that people go by for their astrological signs are all wrong.

That were mars to be colonized in spite of these ten reasons, it should not be done so by people who believe in astrology.

I made no claim about the veracity of astrology or otherwise. I think you'll find that was you.

Your comments about precession, however, indicate you know nothing about astrology. Not only are astrologers fully aware of precession, it is they who first noticed it. Your comments about a force emanating from objects is also very far indeed from astrological theories.

Edited by Elfin, 21 August 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#44    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

View PostElfin, on 21 August 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

I made no claim about the veracity of astrology or otherwise. I think you'll find that was you.

Your comments about precession, however, indicate you know nothing about astrology. Not only are astrologers fully aware of precession, it is they who first noticed it. Your comments about a force emanating from objects is also very far indeed from astrological theories.

Astrology led to astronomy, I get that, No problem. The premise, however, that the location of celestial objects affects ones personality necessitates that said objects must exert some force upon the person. Now we all know force decreases with distance so much so that the gravity of mars, for example, does not even affect you on earth. There has to be a force for an interaction. That's the way the world works.
I'm not interested in continuing this conversation any further., not only in an effort to stop derailing this thread, but also because I don't care about astrology.

#45    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

If you want to convince us of the truth of astrology, start or find a thread on it.

I gotta tell you though that after watching the hi-pitched astrology presentations on TV, you have your work cut out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users