Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ten Reasons Not To Live On Mars

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,115 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

I disagree with most of the reasons listed. The one I expected to see was radiation.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#47    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,782 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 21 August 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Astrology led to astronomy, I get that, No problem. The premise, however, that the location of celestial objects affects ones personality necessitates that said objects must exert some force upon the person. Now we all know force decreases with distance so much so that the gravity of mars, for example, does not even affect you on earth. There has to be a force for an interaction. That's the way the world works.
I'm not interested in continuing this conversation any further., not only in an effort to stop derailing this thread, but also because I don't care about astrology.

Better strap in sonny, I'm pretty sure this is happening.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#48    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 21 August 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Astrology led to astronomy, I get that, No problem. The premise, however, that the location of celestial objects affects ones personality necessitates that said objects must exert some force upon the person. Now we all know force decreases with distance so much so that the gravity of mars, for example, does not even affect you on earth. There has to be a force for an interaction. That's the way the world works.
I'm not interested in continuing this conversation any further., not only in an effort to stop derailing this thread, but also because I don't care about astrology.

How can you presume to make such assured statements on something you don't care about? Also, your "understanding" of astrology (if that's the right word) is severely wanting. It's not about forces exerted, but of natural cycles. So all your talk of forces is completely irrelevant.

#49    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 August 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

If you want to convince us of the truth of astrology, start or find a thread on it.

I gotta tell you though that after watching the hi-pitched astrology presentations on TV, you have your work cut out for you.

I don't want to convince anyone of the truth of astrology, I'm not even sure there's very much in it myself, though I always keep an open mind. I think those who make pronouncements on it, however, should at least acquaint themselves with the basics of the subject.

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,147 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

An "open mind" is a virtue; gullibility is the same thing taken too its extreme.

#51    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 12,163 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

View Postninjadude, on 21 August 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

I disagree with most of the reasons listed. The one I expected to see was radiation.

You disagree? hmmm ok, well what about exactly?  Id be interested to know your opinion.

BTW radiation was mentioned as part of point ten

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#52    Codemonger

Codemonger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

• "I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people" - Isaac Newton

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 21 August 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

As interested as I am in your study of the mating habits of unicorns.

In case you are interested in the mating habits of the unicorn, although I don't think wiki goes into detail in regards to mating:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Arabian_oryx

http://en.wikipedia....yx#Unicorn_myth

#53    Codemonger

Codemonger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

• "I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people" - Isaac Newton

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

Great article ! The moon would be much simpler to migrate to, but I think Mars has a lot of appeal. It could be the start of a new civilization or the quick end of one.

#54    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,894 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

I'd go to Mars because of the view of space at night.. Assuming there would be one.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#55    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,178 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Folks, this is not the place to discuss astrology. Back on topic please.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#56    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 12,163 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 22 August 2013 - 01:58 AM, said:

I'd go to Mars because of the view of space at night.. Assuming there would be one.

I once heard Brian Blessed when he was climbing mount everest (on a TV morning show)...say that at a certain height the milky way and colors in space are really visible, with zillions more stars and gas clouds than can be seen at g-level. Mind you, my sister lives in the states and when she first went and wrote to us, she said the same thing when she had been driving thru a desert over there, tho I cant remember which. But yeh it just goes to show how much we miss out on whats in space - looking from the ground with light pollution.

So as light pollution wont really exist on Mars, I reckon itd be a fantastic view - At the very least

typos

Edited by seeder, 22 August 2013 - 08:24 PM.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#57    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 12,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

So keeping things fresh then, heres some vids from Roberts OP

On Mars it might be easier for machines to fly with insect type flight with rapidly beating wings, using the bumble bee wings vortex effect for lift. On Mars that can work scaled up to wings a meter across because of the thin atmosphere also assisted by the low gravity. That's the idea of the entomopter. One way you could build telerobots able to fly on Mars.

"Little Prince" rover designed to support a single plant on Mars. Book cover of "The little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-ExupérySince seeds can be sterilized (unlike humans or animals), these could be grown without any risk of contaminating Mars with Earth micro-organisms.

Named after the "Little Prince" who looked after a single rose on his asteroid in the fictional book by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

It's possible that plants may be the first living Earth colonists of another planet.

#58    robertinventor

robertinventor

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

The same would be true of course for the Moon, even more so as there is no atmosphere to speak of, also for space habs.

Mars has the dust storms which completely block the sky for some weeks or months at a time,

The far side of the Moon is the best place for radio astronomy, as the Moon completely blocks out all the radio signals from Earth, radio astronomers would love to be able to build big radio telescopes on far side of the Moon. The only place in our solar system that never gets radio signals from Earth.

As an aside on light pollution, we have a campaign in the UK for dark skies, and it's really simple. Better designed lights especially street lights designed to send all the light downwards, also security lights also, just design them so they don't light up the night sky.

You save on electricity and the skies can be dark again. There is no need for us to live in such light polluted cities. See Campaign for Dark Skies.

View Postseeder, on 22 August 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

I once heard Brian Blessed when he was climbing mount everest (on a TV morning show)...say that at a certain height the milky way and colors in space are really visible, with zillions more stars and gas clouds than can be seen at g-level. Mind you, my sister lives in the states and when she first went and wrote to us, she said the same thing when she had been driving thru a desert over there, tho I cant remember which. But yeh it just goes to show how much we miss out on whats in space - looking from the ground with light pollution.

So as light pollution wont really exist on Mars, I reckon itd be a fantastic view - At the very least

typos

#59    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,894 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postseeder, on 22 August 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

typos

It would certainly be a brilliant display of colors..

If I could get a telescope and just hang out on a high plateau on Mars, that would be lovely..

Although, as someone pointed out, despite the lack of ideal habitable conditions, Mars would be a good precursor to planetary colonization in the future to get an idea of what it would be like to exist on an alien world; as uncomfortable as I imagine it would be.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi, 22 August 2013 - 09:01 PM.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#60    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 12,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Actually the Little Prince robot above made me think of the movie 'Silent Running', if anyone remembers it. They had little robots take care of the plants in a biosphere too. Funny how science fiction from years ago becomkes a sort of science fact isnt it?

heres an end clip, 30 secs only. I remember as a kid being upset that the robots would be all by themselves forever, tending plants!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users