Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Views on Magick

occultism occult magick

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• "I think therefore I am" - Rene D.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Metaphysics

I perceive magick as something that is used by various practitioners over the long course of time. Magick has been around, and it of course predates Christianity.

I believe magick has limits to what the practitioner can achieve. We obviously can not defy the scientific laws that govern us as a whole. Magick is complex, hard to understand completely.

Everyone has their own perceptions on magick, and experiences. This what makes us different from one another. Experiences vary from individual and individual. That is how the world works, in its natural ways.  

Magick is magick

What do you think about this? What do you believe?

#2    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,516 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

I think there shouldn't be a 'K' in 'magic'.
what I believe, is that magic, as most practitioners perceive it, doesn't exist.
it is a modern fantasy based on a romantic notion of old celtic/druidic/pagan religions.
'magic' to the ancients meant dowsing, herblore, astronomy, divination, not dancing around hilltops in your bare scuddies waving anthames around & sanctifing your cauldron, but if it makes people happy, then what the hell, have fun!
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,415 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

I believe that magick is merely magic and that the added 'k', not used for centuries, is just to make it look cooler and spookier.  Crawley et al have a lot to answer for.  (Only my opinion)

#4    Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

Spelling is merely Spelling.

For an example

Megan is a name that can be spelled Meghan,Megann, or what have you.

Edited by Mictlantecuhtli, 19 August 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#5    Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostMictlantecuhtli, on 18 August 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Metaphysics

I perceive magick as something that is used by various practitioners over the long course of time. Magick has been around, and it of course predates Christianity.

I believe magick has limits to what the practitioner can achieve. We obviously can not defy the scientific laws that govern us as a whole. Magick is complex, hard to understand completely.

Everyone has their own perceptions on magick, and experiences. This what makes us different from one another. Experiences vary from individual and individual. That is how the world works, in its natural ways.  

Magick is magick

What do you think about this? What do you believe?
@Shroom Not everyone does what you mentioned. Depends on their religious and spiritual path.

Edited by Mictlantecuhtli, 19 August 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#6    _Only

_Only

• 6,547 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

View Postshrooma, on 18 August 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

'magic' to the ancients meant dowsing, herblore, astronomy, divination, not dancing around hilltops in your bare scuddies waving anthames around & sanctifing your cauldron, but if it makes people happy, then what the hell, have fun!
:-)

I don't think it's so much about any of those things at face value, as much as pure intent.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

How to cure your patient with magick (magic).  Do all sorts of odd things around the patient, at least a few of which are unpleasant or even painful. Give the patient and family complicated instructions.

Most conditions resolve themselves: when this happens take the credit.

When the patient dies, assert that the patient is at fault for not doing something your instructed or because  of evil forces the patient was using --BLAME THE PATIENT.

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,415 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostMictlantecuhtli, on 19 August 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Spelling is merely Spelling.

For an example

Megan is a name that can be spelled Meghan,Megann, or what have you.

It's more than just spelling.  It's an attempt to give credence to trickery and deception.

#9    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,621 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Magic is a very alluring concept especially when you have movies like Harry Potter or Avatar:The Last Airbender to name a few. Makes the concept of manipulating natural forces really sound plausible and many really think that they have some sort of hidden "power" and all they need to do is throw caution to the wind, be gullible and naive and with enough flailing of the hands and arms - along with the right type of incense and crystals- they can be their own wizards.

Yes..very alluring indeed as long as it is recognized as only fantasy.
Too many kids get so caught up in this sort of nonsense that they refuse to even look at reality and basic science because it might burst their favorite bubbles so they plug their ears and surround themselves with cheesy spell books from Amazon, robes, staffs and the like and continue their game of pretend.

And all the paraphernalia that is connected with it, the cards runes, stones, etc are all part of the scam.

#10    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

I think the use of the K in magick is handy for knowing what exactly people are talking about. So if you are talking about a stage magician who is pulling rabbits from his hat then the word 'magic' is used instead of 'magick' to describe perhaps a more ceremonial style belief.

So some might believe that focusing will power can bring change into the world(fair enough yeah). I guess that would be a basic description of magick. Some believe that making changes in the astral(dreaming) worlds can also bring about changes in the physical world. So these types of beliefs I think need the K to show a difference to the stage magician(illusionist).

Edited by Kazahel, 19 August 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

The problem with distinguishing "real" magic from stage magic with spelling is that this is not known and therefore needs explaining every time you use it.  Personally I think both are trickery anyway; one honest and the other dishonest.

#12    _Only

_Only

• 6,547 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Lies are one of the most potent forms of sorcery around. You can change people's minds, lives, and world with just one good lie. And most of us lie every day, creating our own little worlds for others and ourselves.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#13    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,516 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:09 AM

View PostMictlantecuhtli, on 19 August 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

@Shroom Not everyone does what you mentioned. Depends on their religious and spiritual path.
having been raised in a pagan household by a couple of irish hippies, i'm more than aware of what it entails, and the difference between the true worship of nature and its wholly modern wiccan bastardisation.
I ain't knocking wiccans by the way, just that it makes no sense to me, but like I said, if it makes people happy, then have fun with it, but changing the world with a word just ain't gonna happen i'm afraid.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#14    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 August 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

The problem with distinguishing "real" magic from stage magic with spelling is that this is not known and therefore needs explaining every time you use it.  Personally I think both are trickery anyway; one honest and the other dishonest.

Many things aren't well known and need to be explained. And I think there should be a way to easily distinguish between them and to me a K does that. Also I'm not sure you could call magick trickery or being dishonest either. If people believe that magick is basically the focus and outcome of will, then I'm not sure how that would be called being dishonest.

So for example, if I did a ritual or whatever I felt focused my will strong enough on a goal and I believed it to bring change in the physical world, and that change occurred. How would this act of magick be called a lie?

Or if I did a ritual and focused my will to gain a new spiritual understanding by say invoking an angel, if after this ritual I felt I had gained some extra understanding, then how could this be called trickery?

So yes some will claim things like tarot cards and whatever other tools are a part of the 'scam', but if they are used to bring about change to the mind or bring change into the physical world, then it cannot really be called a scam.

#15    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

View Postshrooma, on 19 August 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

but changing the world with a word just ain't gonna happen i'm afraid.....

That reminds me of a Bible verse. It's funny, I don't know much of the Bible but I always get reminded of it. It's probably out of context but anyway..

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was with God in the beginning.
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Also tagged with occultism, occult, magick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users