Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The "Orb" Phenomenon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

Just a quick question for some of the veterans of the forum: When did orbs begin showing up in photos? And when were they attached to paranormal occurrences?

While that is the immediate question, a few others to add to the discussion: Do more experienced paranormal investigators take such evidence seriously? And do you think that the prevailance of such photos tarnish the field?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#2    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,085 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 19 August 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

Just a quick question for some of the veterans of the forum: When did orbs begin showing up in photos? And when were they attached to paranormal occurrences?

While that is the immediate question, a few others to add to the discussion: Do more experienced paranormal investigators take such evidence seriously? And do you think that the prevailance of such photos tarnish the field?
rarely shown in film but when digital came out, that when it changed. I would explain why but I am at work at,

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#3    Paradoxum

Paradoxum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

• "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think 99 times out of 100 Orbs are dust, insects, lens flare, reflections.. The list goes on. Now and again you see something interesting where they seem "intellegent" but these seem very few and far between.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - A. Einstein

#4    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

I don't think any orb picture would be valid unless it was taken in a scientific dust free room.

#5    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Orbs might be the ghosts of insects.

#6    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

I was researching them from 1993, the earliest 'orb' photos I saw were from late 1992.  It wasn't the switch to digital that changed the perception to a belief in a paranormal explanation, that started with the advent of advent of reusable flash units for SLRs and built-in flash in compact cameras in the 90s - before that with the available films and flash bulbs etc you didn't waste money on night-time flash photos.  The advent of digital simply removed the ongoing costs of photography allowing peeps to become shutter happy.

Edited by Oppono Astos, 20 August 2013 - 07:54 PM.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#7    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,791 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostMurk, on 20 August 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

I think 99 times out of 100 Orbs are dust, insects, lens flare, reflections.. The list goes on. Now and again you see something interesting where they seem "intellegent" but these seem very few and far between.
Example?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users