Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will SETI ultimately fail ?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Codemonger

Codemonger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

• "I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people" - Isaac Newton

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

I am no expert when it comes to SETI, but when it comes to digital communication I do know a couple of things and this is something that has been bugging me for a long time. Has anyone thought that if an ET civilization is broadcasting signals that the signal would probably be advanced enough to be an encrypted digital transmission and would lose any integrity of being recognized as a raw message.  An encrypted communication signal, sent through radio or not, from point A to B looks identical to white noise.

I believe SETI may ultimately fail because of this oversight. Is SETI thinking too primitive or am I completely wrong ?

#2    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

Yep, I think that is a known problem. They are looking for basic radiowaves, fornwhat was us a fairly narrow gap of time.
They recognize the limits of the plan, especially since they are only able search a small section of the sky at any given time.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,532 posts

• Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is real or even remotely true.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

I think SETI was doomed to failure from the start.

We set out with the assumption that other beings are going to use radio waves, record players and the like in order to communicate and it seems we are still operating under that assumption.

So..No, Codemonger. I don't think you are wrong at all.

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,457 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:57 AM

I respectfully disagree; the assumption behind SETI is that there are societies who want us to know about them.  Therefore they would make it easy.  That nothing has been found tells me only that no such society is anywhere nearby.

#5    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,836 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

I used to belong to SETI AT Home. Since I changed computers I haven't participated. It's pretty cool, though.

I don't know about encrypted messages, but it seems to me that any signal received would  have to be sent on purpose by some Alien civilization. This is because the frequency SETI is tuned to is 1420MHz, the frequency Hydrogen atoms resonate, as Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. If Aliens communicate by electromagnetic radiation, who knows at what frequency they would otherwise commonly use.

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while he was working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University, then located at Ohio Wesleyan University's Perkins Observatory in Delaware, Ohio.[1] The signal bore the expected hallmarks of non-terrestrial and non-Solar System origin. It lasted for the full 72-second window that Big Ear was able to observe it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention.

...on a linear scale it was over 30 times louder than normal deep space.
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Wow!_signal

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,384 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

I dont think any alien broadcast could be understood - even if the signal hadnt deteriorated.

Kinda reminds me of the "Trial by Fire" Outer limits episode. Basically aliens make contact and turn up in their ships...No-one could understand their broadcasts and eventually nukes get fired at them, assumed hostile.  So the aliens fire back...

Ive found a synopsis and heres the last paragraph where the aliens have just fired two objects

"In the final moments before the objects arrive, a fax comes through from the cryptanalysts, having decoded the alien's original message. They realize that the aliens do in fact live in a liquid environment and that they were in fact speaking in plain English. Having removed the liquid distortion from the message, Dr. Brevson solemnly informs him of what the original transmission said: "Let us be your friends". The episode ends on the last seconds of the impact countdown, while Halsey comforts his upset wife, regretting his decisions, as do the military officials.

Full synopsis
http://en.wikipedia....e_Outer_Limits)

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#7    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

The Multi Purpose Donkey

• 24,248 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

It seems to be a characteristic that we always assume that the Ets would be at the same stage of technomological development that we are at any given time, so we always seem to assume that They would use the same technology that we do, and there also seems to be a spinoff belief from this that  therefore anything that we don't currently know how to do it, the ETs wouldn't either.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#8    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,957 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Ultimately I don't think radio signals are going to be a practical way to communicate on a cosmological scale.

I've always wondered that if at some point in the future we were to discover a new way to send and receive communications over long distances for which the speed of light is no longer a barrier, that upon listening out for the first time we would gain immediate access to a plethora of galactic chatter that's been there for eons but that has been invisible to conventional radio receivers.

#9    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostSaru, on 21 August 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Ultimately I don't think radio signals are going to be a practical way to communicate on a cosmological scale.

I've always wondered that if at some point in the future we were to discover a new way to send and receive communications over long distances for which the speed of light is no longer a barrier, that upon listening out for the first time we would gain immediate access to a plethora of galactic chatter that's been there for eons but that has been invisible to conventional radio receivers.

Reminds me of the of the Voyager probe in a way.  Sent out of the solar system with a picture of a man and a woman and some information about where to find us.

I can hear them laughing now actually.

Posted Image

#10    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

SETI at home sounds like a cool thing.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#11    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

The Multi Purpose Donkey

• 24,248 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

View Postzoser, on 21 August 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Reminds me of the of the Voyager probe in a way.  Sent out of the solar system with a picture of a man and a woman and some information about where to find us.

I can hear them laughing now actually.
Which was the one that had a vinyl disc attached (or a gold disc anyway)? Was it that or Pioneer? Let's hope the ETs have reached that level of technology by the time they find it. :unsure:

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 21 August 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#12    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,957 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Postzoser, on 21 August 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I think Voyager 1 is going to end up in a museum - in a couple of hundred years it'll be retrieved and put on display as an important historical piece. Either that or it will be granted some form of protected status to stop someone going off with it.

#13    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

The Multi Purpose Donkey

• 24,248 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostSaru, on 21 August 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

I think Voyager 1 is going to end up in a museum - in a couple of hundred years it'll be retrieved and put on display as an important historical piece. Either that or it will be granted some form of protected status to stop someone going off with it.
Or perhaps some (as I seem to recall, never actually identified) ET race will do that, and end up making a sort of shrine of it. I think they'll call it Vejur. :unsure2:

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#14    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 August 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

Which was the one that had a vinyl disc attached (or a gold disc anyway)? Was it that or Pioneer? Let's hope the ETs have reached that level of technology by the time they find it. :unsure:

Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 both had the Golden Record (made of pure gold).

http://voyager.jpl.n.../goldenrec.html

If someone or something finds either Voyager and don't understand how to play it, there is also pictographs explaining how to play the disc and there is even a stylus included. Which I think is a nice touch!
I hope the SETI program will continue, even with no results, because perhaps as soon as we shut off SETI, we might miss something. Murphy's Law and all that!

Personally, I don't think we are 'ready' to listen yet. I agree with Saru in this regard and we must come up with a better more efficient way, depending on our future technologies of course.

Kind Regards:)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#15    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Even a digital signal, which is essentially noise, without the aid of a decoding key, would be detectable as noise. I can hear digital signals on High frequency, VHF and UHF radio. I don't know the content, but the narrow band noise, as opposed to the usual wide band natural noise,  and the on/off cycling of the signal are dead giveaways that a man made signal is present.
If SETI scientists heard such a signal they could confirm by various means that the signal was from stellar distance, thus confirming that it was artificial, but not man made. There seems to be no one, obvious, digital encoding scheme, so we might not be able to get at the content of the message, but we would at least know that there was other intelligent life in the universe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users