Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Religion vs Belief

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

"Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better." - Camus

Religion offers a moral institution - which is both good and bad.

Whereas, as a moralist, although I am an advocate for basic morals, I don't believe a person should subscribe to morals perpetuated by an institution.

Whenever an institution is involved there's always an angle.

Beliefs are what we decide to make of something despite the opinion of others.

Religion often involves the opinion of others - the consensus of a social group who all share similar beliefs.

In lieu of the revelation that religion is belief shared in a group - I suppose you could call it a group that ignores the beliefs of others outside their dogma.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi, 21 September 2013 - 04:31 AM.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#92    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,694 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

Whereas, as a moralist, although I am an advocate for basic morals, I don't believe a person should subscribe to morals perpetuated by an institution.

This makes no sense at all.  It is our cultures, our institutions, our religions, that pass on our understanding of right and wrong.  So you think we should each start from scratch to make up our own minds?  

If that is so, then a drug dealer selling drugs to children can do that if he makes up his own mind that it is a moral and good thing to do?  I don't think you meant that, so explain further please if you can ;-=).

Peace
Mark

#93    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,663 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

In all the time the 10 Commandments have been around I don't see how they are working as a moral code.  The Commandments and the rest of the Bible have been the foundation for a lot of civil right violations against various groups of peoples. Here in the States it is used as a rehabilitation tool and it is done nothing to stem the revolving prison door.  I didn't use them raising my kids and they are good moral men. I taught them with ethics and logic.   The only way to make everyone follow the 10 Commandments is to take away civil freedom of religious or non religious choice.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#94    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

A religion, as far as I understand it, arises from people's individual beliefs. Starting from the belief of one individual, to one whole community with shared mutual interests. Sometimes community interest is required. Forget religion, let's think about a secular country. We may have many problems with our secular law, and yet, unless we are strictly trying to change it, we simply abide by it, even if we don't wholly accept it. Similarly, religions were the yardstick to measure right from wrong, to define what can be and should be done, the law and justice, and the light of science of the common people back in the day. So even when people had different viewpoints, they simply recognized that their mere views held no significance against an all-powerful doctrine (be it God-given-uncorrupted-truths, or simply powerful philosophies by wise men of their time). I am a supporter of critical thinking and following your own path, but I can see why people may choose to follow the path of someone who they realize are more knowledgeable than the common man. I mean, we'd still listen to our doctors even when their advice sounds ridiculous (not the best analogy, but you get the idea).

But in today's times, especially people who are critical of even their own religions (despite following one) should try to analyze issues analytically. Besides, whether one admits it or not, but no two religious people (belonging to the same religion) hold the same worldview, philosophies, or even religious beliefs. So to me ... belief lies in the heart, the ritual, traditions, festivals etc are simply exterior acts.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users