Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Pope Benedict: 'God told me to resign'

resign god pope emeritus benedict

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,946 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

A "mystical experience" during a dialogue with God convinced Pope Emeritus Benedict to resign as head of the Roman Catholic Church earlier this year, he has said.

"God told me to do it," the 86-year-old former pontiff told a friend, six months after his decision to step down shocked the world's 1.2 billion Catholics.

http://www.telegraph...e-to-do-it.html

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,534 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Am imagining God saying, "Benedict, one of us has to go and it sure as hell ain't gonna be me".

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,753 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Why is it, that when we hear about "god telling someone something", and that something is either 'good' or neutral in it's moral outcome, that people of religion have a tendency to believe this 'conversation' actually happened. But when we hear of someone who committed a criminal act relating that "God told me to do it", the instictive reaction is "liar" or "nutjob"?

After all, is God (of the Christian variety) not the creator of good AND evil?

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

I remember a story about an evangelical preacher to whom god said there was no hell. When he revealed this to his flock, he lost 90% of his mega-church membership, who couldn't believe in a world without hell. If I believed that guy, I gotta give the pope some consideration.

Edited by Beany, 21 August 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

"When you talk to God, you're religious.
When God talks to you, you're insane."

"It's a good season for Squatchin"

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,898 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

So, God fired him.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,627 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

God: "Listen, I appreciate what your doing here, and you've been a valuable resource, but things have to change around here. I can't have a bunch of priests going around touching things they shouldn't! I tokd you, background checks! Then we got all the little kids afraid of you because you look like Emperor Palpatine.

So sorry, we're going to hav to ask you to pull a Nixon. Before you do that.... we kind of need you to come in on Saturday."

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users