Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Bradley Manning gets 35 years

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

He certainly has to!!

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-sentence.html

His statement after sentencing

The decisions that I made in 2010 were made out of a concern for my country and the world that we live in. Since the tragic events of 9/11, our country has been at war.  We've been at war with an enemy that chooses not to meet us on any traditional battlefield, and due tothis fact we've had to alter our methods of combating the risks posed to us and our way of life.I initially agreed with these methods and chose to volunteer to help defend my country.  It was not until I was in Iraq and reading secret military reports on a daily basis that I started to question the morality of what we were doing.  It was at this time I realized in our efforts to meet this risk posed to us by the enemy, we have forgotten our humanity.  We consciously elected to devalue human life both in Iraq and Afghanistan.  When we engaged those that we perceived were the enemy, we sometimes killed innocent civilians.  Whenever we killed innocent civilians, instead of accepting responsibility for our conduct, we elected to hide behind the veil of national security and classified information in order to avoid any public accountability.
http://www.commondre...ew/2013/08/21-7

Edited by jugoso, 21 August 2013 - 08:31 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,568 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

I've said before: If he really gave that much of a damn, he could have bothered to take a couple more hours to search for the relevant files.

And if he thinks civilian deaths are bad now, I'd hate to see how he'd react to virtually any other war before 1990.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#3    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Over the course of nearly two hours, Private Manning detailed with startling clarity his precise motivations for each leak.  On the Iraq War Logs and Afghan War Logs, he expressed his shock and dismay at the rampant use of targeted killings as a conflict-resolution tactic.  On the Reykjavik 13 cable: the world should know of the U.S. and U.K.’s bullying tactics against Iceland to accept austerity measures in the wake of the global financial meltdown.  On the Iraqi police’s arrests and disappearances of anti-corruption leafleters: that U.S. should not support those stifling democratic processes in Iraq.  On the Guantanamo detainee files: the Obama administration’s stance is two-faced, claiming on the one hand to want to close the prison, yet on the other, knowingly holding innocent and low-level prisoners.  On the State Department cable leak: the so-called “leader of the free world” engaged in “seemingly criminal activity” via backdoor deals is wrong and hypocritical. And on the most famous of his leaks, the “Collateral Murder” video: the soldiers’ “bloodlust” as they wantonly shot Reuters journalists whom they had mistaken for insurgents from an apache helicopter, along with the ensuing cover-up must be open to public review.

Upon Wednesday's sentencing, an "outraged" CCR said that convicting Manning under the "archaic" Espionage Act sends "an unmistakable warning to potential whistleblowers and journalists willing to publish their information."
"Something is seriously wrong with our justice system," added Ben Wizner, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Speech, Privacy & Technology Project, "when a soldier who shared information with the press and public is punished far more harshly than others who tortured prisoners and killed civilians."
Echoing this, the CCR continued:

It is a travesty of justice that Manning, who helped bring to light the criminality of U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, is being punished while the alleged perpetrators of the crimes he exposed are not even investigated.  Every aspect of this case sets a dangerous precedent for future prosecutions of whistleblowers – who play an essential role in democratic government by telling us the truth about government wrongdoing – and we fear for the future of our country in the wake of this case.

Link: http://www.commondre...ne/2013/08/21-2

Edited by Kowalski, 21 August 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#4    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

This pretty much puts things in perspective...

The only US marine to face sentencing for the killing of two dozen unarmed Iraqis in one of the Iraq war's defining moments has been spared jail time after defending his squad's storming of the homes of Haditha as a necessary act "to keep the rest of my marines alive".

Staff Sergeant Frank Wuterich's sentence ends a six-year prosecution for the 2005 attack. Eight Marines were initially charged; one was acquitted and six others had their cases dropped.

Wuterich, who admitted ordering his squad to "shoot first, ask questions later" after a roadside bomb killed a fellow Marine, ended his manslaughter trial by pleading guilty on Monday to a single count of negligent dereliction of duty.

The deal that dropped nine counts of manslaughter sparked outrage in the besieged Iraqi town and claims that the US didn't hold the military accountable

"The truth is I never fired my weapon at any women or children that day," Wuterich told Jones.

The contention by Wuterich, 31, contradicts prosecutors and counters testimony from a former squad mate who said he joined Wuterich in firing in a dark back bedroom where a woman and children were killed.

Prosecutors argued that Wuterich's knee-jerk reaction of sending the squad to assault nearby homes without positively identifying a threat went against his training and caused the needless deaths of 10 women and children.

"That is a horrific result from that derelict order of shoot first, ask questions later," said Lieutenant Colonel Sean Sullivan

Link: http://www.theguardi...ase-spared-jail

By the way, Wuterich did this:

Link: https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=595

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 21 August 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

I've said before: If he really gave that much of a damn, he could have bothered to take a couple more hours to search for the relevant files.

And if he thinks civilian deaths are bad now, I'd hate to see how he'd react to virtually any other war before 1990.

Yeah.....let´s shoot the messenger. I think it fair that US citizens know what is being done by their country in  their name and on their dime.

G.Clinton

#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,714 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

View Postjugoso, on 21 August 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Yeah.....let´s shoot the messenger. I think it fair that US citizens know what is being done by their country in  their name and on their dime.

I think it more of the fact that the majority of citizens just don't care.

last presidential election the turn out was 53% of eligible voters.... and that is from a presidential election. Presidential elections have the highest turn out

http://www.infopleas...a/A0781453.html

People just want to watch their tv shows and not think about anything uncomfortable :innocent:

Edited by spartan max2, 21 August 2013 - 09:46 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 21 August 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

last presidential election the turn out was 53% of eligible voters.... and that is from a presidential election. Presidential elections have the highest turn out

People just want to watch their tv shows and not think about anything uncomfortable :innocent:

As long as it doesn't effect them, or their lives, they just don't care.

#8    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

The military said on 27 August that three marines had pleaded guilty to charges over the video, but their punishment fell short of criminal prosecution and the men did not face courts martial.
Two of the three pleaded guilty to wrongfully posing for an unofficial photograph with human casualties and admitted urinating on the body of a dead Taliban fighter. The third pleaded guilty to failing to report the mistreatment of human casualties by other marines, and admitted making a false statement to an investigative officer about his knowledge of the video, according to the Military Times.
The three men face punishments within the military, such as a reduction in rank or extra duties, meaning their names would not have to be published in public.
Chamblin and Deptola, however, also face a series of charges for failing to supervise junior marines.
This includes simple things like failing to require them to wear protective equipment to more serious breaches, like failing to report the "negligent discharge" of a grenade launcher. Deptola is also charged with failing to stop the unnecessary damaging of Afghan compounds, the marines said.
The marines said there were other pending cases in the video investigation. They declined to elaborate on the incident in which the negligent actions took place.

Link: http://www.theguardi...ed-dead-taliban

What a wonderful image, we send to the rest of the world....

#9    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,601 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 21 August 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Do you really have a choice.....tweedle-dee or tweedle-dum. One is no better than the other and I think that has been proven
And what people do care about is $$. Make it clear how much they are paying for the antics of Blackwater and the like and they just may start to. The MSM doesn´t really cover the important topics in an unbiased way. The news is filled with **** and stuff that really doesn´t matter. If people choose to stick their heads in the sand that´s their choice, but they shouldn´t have to play detective to find out what their country is doing in their name. What´s happened is the sam thing as with Snowden, focus on the legality/illegality of the persons actions and ignore the real issues.....what happened,how and why. He was doing what he believed to be right and I personally agree with him. Now he´s paying the price. As Kowalski pointed out above, the perpetrators are not.

G.Clinton

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,567 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

View Postjugoso, on 21 August 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Do you really have a choice.....tweedle-dee or tweedle-dum. One is no better than the other and I think that has been proven
And what people do care about is $$. Make it clear how much they are paying for the antics of Blackwater and the like and they just may start to. The MSM doesn´t really cover the important topics in an unbiased way. The news is filled with **** and stuff that really doesn´t matter. If people choose to stick their heads in the sand that´s their choice, but they shouldn´t have to play detective to find out what their country is doing in their name. What´s happened is the sam thing as with Snowden, focus on the legality/illegality of the persons actions and ignore the real issues.....what happened,how and why. He was doing what he believed to be right and I personally agree with him. Now he´s paying the price. As Kowalski pointed out above, the perpetrators are not.

Well said.

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#11    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,601 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.

George Orwell

http://www.youtube.c...rXPrfnU3G0#t=11

G.Clinton

#12    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

Now he´s paying the price. As Kowalski pointed out above, the perpetrators are not.

Exactly! Why are they persecuting Manning, and not the soldiers who do this horrible stuff? Why is a soldier who commits war crimes, not prosecuted, but the soldier who reveals that war crime is! Is this the same America that brought Nazi War Criminals on trial? Has anyone ever read the Nuremberg Principles?

The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him".

Link: http://en.wikipedia....berg_Principles

#13    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,095 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

Daniel Ellsberg: Bradley Manning's conviction is the beginning of a police state.

"We have not only the capability of a police state, but certain beginnings of it right now," Ellsberg said. "And I absolutely agree with Edward Snowden. It's worth a person's life, prospect of assassination, or life in prison or life in exile -- it's worth that to try to restore our liberties and make this a democratic country."

As a candidate in 2008, Barack Obama praised instances of whistle-blowing as "acts of courage and patriotism." Since becoming president, however, his administration has charged more people under the Espionage Act than all other presidents combined.
http://www.huffingto..._n_3793199.html

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#14    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,564 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

This so-called War on Terror is a complete farce.  Pre-emptive war or get them - before they get us has resulted in making the world less safe.  Shame on the military... shame on our so-called western leaders.  This isnt the freedom my grandfather fought for in WW2.

Edited by acidhead, 22 August 2013 - 05:04 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#15    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,529 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostKowalski, on 22 August 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

The US is not a signatory to the ICC, and therefore is not legally required to hold it's military accountable for actions contravening Treaties and Charters overseen by that Court. And, in fact, the Rome Statute (agreed in 1998) neatly side-steps the Nuremburg Defence principle by modifying the conditions. The full text is:

1. The fact that a crime within the jurisdiction of the Court has been committed by a person pursuant to an order of a Government or of a superior, whether military or civilian, shall not relieve that person of criminal responsibility unless:

• (a) The person was under a legal obligation to obey orders of the Government or the superior in question;
  • (B) The person did not know that the order was unlawful; and
  • © The order was not manifestly unlawful.

All members of the US Military are under a legal obligation to follow the orders of the Govt or superior in question. In any case, the Rome Statute allows for an 'ignorance' defence, which is virtually impossible to disprove.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users