Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Weird

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Whenever I see something in the sky that I can't explain or identify I call it a UFO, so in this instance, I would agree that it is perfectly legit to call it a UFO. I'm not saying that I see UFOs all the time, btw. Just on the two occasions when I did see something and it wasn't a falling/shooting star, which I have seen quite a lot of those.

Also, it's very cool that you want to share your experience with us, so thank you for that:)

And welcome to UM! Where most of us are certainly unidentifiable... unidentifiable members! Ha! (sorry, due to the lateness of the hour, I could not resist that one!)

:tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#17    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostAsylumSpirit, on 22 August 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

There are a lot of private planes out here, but they are only prop planes. I live next to tons of farm land so they're usually flying around during the day but sometimes at night and you can clearly hear it and I have never seen them with headlights, just the red and green strobe lights.

Chopper possibly?  those can often have a setting that allows them to run quietly.

(don't ask for the science...despite the lab coat in my avatar, I'm an idiot)

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#18    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 22 August 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

Chopper possibly?  those can often have a setting that allows them to run quietly.

Where did you hear that (pun unintended)?

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#19    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

I didn't and that's how they get ya. :w00t:

I dont remember where, all im seeing right now is articles from like 2010 on choppers having a type of blade allowing for quieter flights. SO I could be entirely off.

I like my idea about it being a balloon best of all the wild speculation ive thrown so far

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#20    Lopex

Lopex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

• Fear is the greatest barrier to human growth.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

View Postklambo, on 22 August 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

The International Space Sation perhaps........... the swerve could just be a trick of the eyes.
I've seen the International  Space Station at night, and it's very bright white light and fast moving, and looks like it just dissapears from view.

Did your sighting look like this?

https://www.youtube....h?v=dTvf8Gwxqys

It didn't. It wasn't going that fast.

#21    Lopex

Lopex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 22 August 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

(don't ask for the science...despite the lab coat in my avatar, I'm an idiot)
Probably not. I see helicopters all the time around here. I can hear them from a distance. It could though, but I think we all would've heard it on how close it was.  

Haha alright. I'm not really arguing with anyone, I'm just giving the facts of what I observed, and heard that night. It was pretty quiet at that time.

#22    Lopex

Lopex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

Not sure if I added this but it did change direction. It was heading south then east south east.

#23    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,394 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

Very cool u saw a UFO I saw something like that last summer

#24    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,650 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

View Post_Only, on 23 August 2013 - 12:45 AM, said:

Where did you hear that (pun unintended)?

Actually, some choppers are designed to run quietly; very quietly. I live in a place where military choppers often fly overhead and they are loud, rattling the house. Never seen one of the quiet ones, but I have no doubt they exist. Have a gander at this little blurpI wrote a few years ago:

http://www.unexplain...157853&st=13830

I am on my phone, so linking and quoting text is not exactly optimal :-)

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#25    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 23 August 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

Actually, some choppers are designed to run quietly; very quietly. I live in a place where military choppers often fly overhead and they are loud, rattling the house. Never seen one of the quiet ones, but I have no doubt they exist. Have a gander at this little blurpI wrote a few years ago:

http://www.unexplain...157853&st=13830

I am on my phone, so linking and quoting text is not exactly optimal :-)

Cheers,
Badeskov

No, I believe they exist. I just assumed that any with that technology are extremely expensive and rare, as opposed to something you might see flying around here and there. Maybe over Area 51, but I don't know about Utah. Maybe there is a new 'Area __' near there.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#26    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 23 August 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

Very cool u saw a UFO I saw something like that last summer

#27    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Helicopters, Not as silent as we might think..... http://en.wikipedia....noise_reduction

Edited by DBunker, 23 August 2013 - 04:36 PM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#28    klambo

klambo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostAsylumSpirit, on 23 August 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

It didn't. It wasn't going that fast.

That's the thing about the ISS, it can appear to be moving at high speed, or it can appear to be moving slowly.........it really depends on what angle in the sky the ISS is seen from.

Take this other video of the ISS,
In this video the ISS appears to be moving very slowly.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XeVNeAp8Fng

Whilst what you saw may or may not be the ISS, it does illustrate that the observed speed of any flying object can be decpetive when you know that the ISS is travelling at exactly the same speed in the first video as it is in the second video........although it doesn't appear that way.

#29    Lopex

Lopex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

View Postklambo, on 28 August 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

That's the thing about the ISS, it can appear to be moving at high speed, or it can appear to be moving slowly.........it really depends on what angle in the sky the ISS is seen from.

Take this other video of the ISS,
In this video the ISS appears to be moving very slowly.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XeVNeAp8Fng

Whilst what you saw may or may not be the ISS, it does illustrate that the observed speed of any flying object can be decpetive when you know that the ISS is travelling at exactly the same speed in the first video as it is in the second video........although it doesn't appear that way.
It wasn't that high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users