Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

grave encounters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    whocares456

whocares456

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I know the movie is fake. is there truth to the hauntings in the asylum it was filmed in?

Edited by whocares456, 22 August 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#2    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,245 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

There appears to be some stories out there about Riverview... but I can't really say if it's really supposed to be haunted, or just people creeped out by a shut down building. There sure seems to have been a lot of filming done there though.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,148 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

I think anyone going into a former mental health facility is gonna have the heebie-jeebies. We know now, with hindsight, what was considered right and normal treatment in the 1800s - when most of these facilities operated - is rather barbaric. I don't believe anyone would willingly enter any building on one of these sites and not feel some level of discomfort, as if somehow our presence was acknowledging what was done there in the name of making someone healthier. Not to mention a lot of these places are a bit rundown - though an exterior shot of Riverview looks pretty solid. So you're going in there with a heightened sense of awareness because it's all gotta be done in the dark, and your fight or flight kicks in because you can't see where you're walking or you have limited vision with either a flashlight or you're looking at the view screen of a video camera with night vision. All of this culminates in us believing we see things that aren't there or hear things that are not quite right, stirring up our psyche and scaring ourselves to death.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#4    whocares456

whocares456

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

asylum's seem to be the most creepy haunted buildings .

#5    SeanJPD

SeanJPD

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• Probably just the wind.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

@whocares456 I think it is because of the atmosphere, these places held people who were insane and sometimes malicious with it. They always look creepy because of the design of a lot of them but generally I think it is the idea.

-Sean

#6    Mythical Legend

Mythical Legend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 204 posts

• Please...enlighten me...

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

View Postwhocares456, on 23 August 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

asylum's seem to be the most creepy haunted buildings .

But of course. Pre-concieved notion. Looks scary therefore scary things must be in there.

#7    Wyverna

Wyverna

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

• "No, I'm not a dragon slayer. I'm a dragon SAVIOR. See the difference?"

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Not to mention sound plays a factor too. If you're in a creepy quiet place, small noises that you would normally wouldn't note are going to be much more noticeable. You'll probably hear things as well. Noises are going to be scarier and hen you're scared, your mind thinks differently.

Posted Image

“But it is one thing to read about dragons and another to meet them.”
--Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea

#8    skydivingstars

skydivingstars

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

I agree with a few of the previous posters. Pretty sure asylums in general have a seriously haunted history. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were at least a few spirits/whatever roaming around those buildings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users